WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased the El Hierro Oris, and while I love the watch, the scent from the rubber strap is very displeasing. Do you guys know of any methods to get rid of the scent without removing the strap from the watch itself? Thanks!

·
Registered
749 Posts
The vanilla?? It's great! I bought a few watches off eBay where it was obvious the last owner wore gallons of cologne and smoked cigars. Could never get that smell out, threw out the straps. I tried everything including days of soaking in solvents.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
No problem with the vanilla scent here. Probably not removable anyhow, just mask it with tomato juice. (Just kidding BTW)

Think they scented it because the native rubber scent was complained about so much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I understand that some people find the smell nice, but it seems I'm in the minority with an overly sensitive nose :(

·
Registered
531 Posts
You could try and let it soak in a mixture of 50/50 water/vinegar drop in some lemon juice and a tablespoon of coffee soak overnight.

I clean out my shaker bottles that way when I've left the protein gunk inside (unintentionally)

anyone who has done that can tell you it smells like a garbage tip

Anyway I seems to work, just remember to rinse after the soak

·
Premium Member
60,706 Posts
Back in the day Oris scented their straps with vanilla then they stopped and their rubber smelled of very little but now it seems as if they've started again. My only experience with scented straps is with my Isofrane and the pong faded away after a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could try and let it soak in a mixture of 50/50 water/vinegar drop in some lemon juice and a tablespoon of coffee soak overnight.
Wouldn't the acid start to break down the rubber? Make it brittle perhaps and shorten lifespan?
50 /50 water to vinegar is still pretty strong, then you are also adding acidic lemon juice (and, if a light roast, coffee).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same "Vanilla-Problem" with my Oris Rubber.
Finally i sold the Watch because i didn't like the steel bracelet and couldn't get rid of the vanilla scent. The watch itself was very nice. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found the smell a bit much in the beginning with my Williams Day Date as well. I do not like vanilla smells. But after a few weeks, the smell was bearable. One of the things I did do hat seems to have helped a bit is I would rub the strap with a dryer sheet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sad to see that no one seems to be able to get rid of the vanilla smell. I've looked in all sorts of forums, and no one has been successful. I'm thinking of researching natural rubber manufacturing techniques to find out if there are any industrial solvents that might get the vanilla compounds to out-gas... or maybe bombard it with gamma radiation? Seek out the services of a witch doctor to perform ancient rites?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts