WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm 15 and recently received my first Automatic watch.

The watch is a Longines Hydroconquest Automatic 41mm purchased for £790.

As this is my first automatic I am not sure what the proper procedures are for taking good care of it and keeping it in time (e.g what I should and shouldn't do).

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Congratulations on your first watch and welcome to the forum.

You'll find the rest on Google.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hi I'm 15 and recently received my first Automatic watch.

The watch is a Longines Hydroconquest Automatic 41mm purchased for £790.

As this is my first automatic I am not sure what the proper procedures are for taking good care of it and keeping it in time (e.g what I should and shouldn't do).
Welcome to the forum!!

What you should do:

* Wear it regularly during the day, every day, and don't worry about it.
* Over time you'll learn if the watch has a tendency to run a little fast or a little slow. 'A little' would be up to something like + or - 10 seconds per day.
* You may then also figure out if certain positions that you place the watch in at night (e.g. dial up, dial down, on the side with the crown down or up) will slow the watch down or speed it up. This you can use to counter whatever the natural drift is of the watch so you keep it closer to actual time.

Things that are no problem:

* Swimming, showering, etc. with the watch on. If seawater then rinse in tap water after.
* Letting it run down completely if you don't wear it for a day or two; winding it and a little shake if needed will start it up again.
* If you don't wear it for 36 hours or so then it may be good to wind it a couple turns. (like 15 turns, or 10, or 20; it doesn't matter, you can't over-wind an automatic watch.)
* If the time gets off by a lot, like more than a minute (or two) you can reset the time. Say the watch is off by 5 seconds a day then that means setting the time again every 2-3 weeks or so.

Finally:

* After 5-8 years your watch may need service. (Cleaning, oiling, etc.) You can read up on that in 5-8 years time.
* If the watch is more than 10 seconds off per day you could consider having it regulated at a good local watchmaker shop. (Or do it yourself, which means Googling.) Do note however that many watches take some time to 'settle in' when new. They accuracy will change over the first couple weeks, and then settle into a more predictable pattern.

Most Importantly:

* Take several pictures of the watch in several different places and post them here! We like to look at watch pictures here. We funny that way. ;)
* I would personally also like to hear what sort of accuracy you're getting, but that's mostly me. Most people here aren't really accuracy-queens on this forum.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Congrats on your first automatic watch! I'm just going to add some tips on how to look after your watch
- don't leave your watch near magnetic stuff like speaker, phone case clasp, near the spinning hard drive of a laptop ( ssd is fine)
- learn how to hide your wrist whenever you enter a door or near a door knob
- clean it once a week with soapy water and soft brush

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reset the watch for the first time yesterday morning and by last night it was 5 seconds fast. Right now (11:08 GMT) it is still about 5 seconds fast so I think that's good. It's been a week and 5 days since I got it.

I will try to upload an image later.

Also would it be okay to play badminton in it (not on the hand that my racquet is in)?

·
Premium Member
40,912 Posts
It should be fine to play badminton wearing it if it's not your racket holding hand (as long as you don't do a lot of diving about by the net)

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What a great watch to have as your first, it's a tough watch and no special care really needed, it's designed to with stand everyday activities, common sense will prevail.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you're into hunting, shooting sports, or target shooting, I'd take the watch off during those activities. While I've never had a problem, I have heard that the recoil can be a sufficient shock to alter accuracy, and, potentially, longevity of the movement. I'm not sure how necessary it is, but I have gotten into the practice of taking off my watches before firing a gun

Welcome to the forums

1 - 14 of 14 Posts