WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I need some help.

Just received my beautiful Orient Chicane and set about adjusting the linked metal band. I have done this on several Seiko 5 watches that also use the L-shaped pins. But there is a difference. The Seiko bands have a small concave depression at the side opposite the direction arrows, and you just push a pin down into this small shallow hole and wiggle it outward until there is enough of the L-pin sticking out to remove with your fingers or needle-nose pliers. Easy.

BUT, on the Chicane's linked band, which otherwise looks nearly identical to those on my Seikos, there is not a concave depression but instead a small bead, a little dome (convex), so the opposite of the Seiko band. I tried to push down on this raised little bump, as I did with a pin in the Seikos, but . . . nothing moves, nothing budges, it's like the little bead is locked in place. And so is the link!

Can anyone point me to the correct technique here? Just looking at the band, I don't see any other way to get the link out other than pushing down on this bead and trying to wiggle it outward. But no go.

I'd be hugely grateful for some assistance here.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Gonna need some good pictures of the inside and both sides of the band links to offer further instruction. I just endured listening to Mark from Orient Watch USA babble, now i need a nap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple, maybe. Not sure how to post photos here, so I dragged them into the window. Probably won't work. But in case they do . . .

. . . the one of the inside where you can see the arrows and the small bump/bead I refer to, and that won't move at all; the other photo is of the outside of the links, the "top" of the L-part of the pin. Looks the same on both sides.

file://localhost/Users/rainguy/Desktop/DSCN1591.JPG

file://localhost/Users/rainguy/Desktop/DSCN1593.JPG

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Wow. Weird. TBH, I've never dealt with even the L style pin you've suggested.

Is it possible to lift up the tab?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421014939.132175.jpg

Or else slide the bead towards the center of the link?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
medaze,

I saw several videos similar to this, in fact used them to successfully remove links from the band of a Seiko 5 last week. But this process does not work on the Chicane. On the Seiko band, you have those little depressions or concave divots, as shown in the video. And just do just what he does, that is push down and wiggle outward until the L-flange part of the pin pops up, then pull it out the rest of the way with some pliers. I managed to remove links from both sides of the Seiko, then reconnect them for a shortened bracelet in 10-12 minutes.

But the Chicane band is different. You do NOT have the little divots into which you insert the pin or paperclip or whatever. Instead, on the Chicane band instead of divots, you have tiny little bumps or beads that stick up and pressing down on them does nothing. Other than have the pin slip off and scratch some adjacent area. I have tried and tried and they will not budge. It's apparent that they SHOULD, as I see no other way to approach this, especially given that the Seiko band was essentially the same.

So, did you manage to remove links from your Chicane band? If so, how?

As it now stands, I will probably end up putting a leather strap on this watch anyhow, but I would still like to have the option of a correctly-sized link bracelet.

Anyhow, let me know if you had any success here.

Thanks.

Doug

·
Banned
237 Posts
Actually on the Chicane it is a real pain in the butt to take links out. I use a very small flat head screwdriver and pushed against the raised nipples where I pointed the red arrows at until the links started to come out. It is best to put the bracelet in a small vise to hold when doing this. I did a lot of cursing while trying to size mine. :-x

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, biggpoppa. At least I know I was using the correct method, and good to know that link removal on this band is such a hassle. I have already gone through the cursing phase. Several times. To no avail. And broke one small flat head jeweler's screwdriver. I will try a few more times, but I think there is a leather strap in my future for this watch.

Doug

·
Banned
237 Posts
See if you can tap the screwdriver with a small mallet to get hump thru. Then I used small pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out the rest of the way. But wrap the end of the needle nose plier's with tape so you don't damaged the link. Good luck
Thanks, biggpoppa. At least I know I was using the correct method, and good to know that link removal on this band is such a hassle. I have already gone through the cursing phase. Several times. To no avail. And broke one small flat head jeweler's screwdriver. I will try a few more times, but I think there is a leather strap in my future for this watch.

Doug

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Those links look like the Seiko 5 bracelets I have, they were ridiculously not easy at all to remove. bigpoppa's advice seems to be the right way, the way I used. It's not a pin, so much as a U shaped bracket. But I never use the bracelets anyway. They are all on straps. =)

That type of band is awful. Pins are infinitely easier to deal with, even pin-and-collar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, boys, I gave up on the bracelet. I didn't intend to use it long as it was a crap bracelet, very loose and junky feeling, not congruous with the wonderful fit and finish the case. So I just went the strap route a bit earlier than I intended. Here is my Chicane in its new kit. I like this medium brown/caramel leather with a stainless case/white dial combination.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Actually on the Chicane it is a real pain in the butt to take links out. I use a very small flat head screwdriver and pushed against the raised nipples where I pointed the red arrows at until the links started to come out. It is best to put the bracelet in a small vise to hold when doing this. I did a lot of cursing while trying to size mine. :-x
This is how I did it. PITA no doubt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts