WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum! One of my first posts here. I'm currently about to undertake a massive project, aiming to exactly replicate a missing case for a 1970s cal. 2003 AP Movement, Dial and hands I've picked up.

One problem I've faced is that all of these watches seem to use integral bracelets (impossible to find now), but I found one example of one using an integral leather strap [[IMAGES BELOW]]. I have no clue how these work, nor how to fit them into a case I'm designing. Any thoughts would he hugely appreciated on this project.

Note: I've done a mockup of how I think this may work. I feel unsure that it's correct though. Surely, screwing in a straight strap would make it too stiff, and it wouldn't be able to bend around the wearers wrist... Do these integral straps have a different end?

Thanks!

Similar AP with current integrated strap:

My mockup:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Santiago Trader...Hello!

The image you Posted seems to me to suggest that there's a conjunction of forces at work: the considerable effects of all those screws; and--perhaps--the clamping action thereof upon the case halves, thus further anchoring the strap.

Of course, since this is a Dress Watch, I daresay that the Manufacturer was not striving for Ultimate Integrity...just a Good Look, that would tolerate the stresses one might encounter, say, during a night on the Town, at an Opera and then a nice nightclub.

And: to my mind, if you're Destined to do a bit of Design Work, well: use your own Imagination in situations like this...consider what YOU would do, then ponder a bit, and imagine if it would really work...should be fun!

Michael.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you are designing the case, design it for a regular strap with solid end links. Or take a look at the ecozilla and the adapters for an ecozilla metal bracelet, it will give you good ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a few months now, but here are the updates:
After months and about 15 iterations on the 3d printer to ensure everything fits:
- The case has been fully replicated, the designs have been sent off, and the case is currently being cast in brass (with solid lugs) to then be 18k gold rolled. I've attached an image of where we're at so far. I'll be sending this case off to be correctly shaped and the watch should be back to life!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
For the lower shell it should be a strap with an integrated spring wire which reenforces the holes for the screws.
How the upper shell is finally fixed is not sure but it looks not that complicated to me..switching the AP design and using two shaped braces and a recess in the strap area on the upper shell you should be able to have a much better assembly than the original - either with fully integrated or just a covered strap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts