WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an IT QA consultant, normally working on-site at large pharmaceutical companies. I am eyeballing a Rolex DJ, two-color, white back with roman numerals (yum-yum), but wonder how my clients, and people overall, would react to seeing a Rolex on my wrist. I am normally surrounded by people whose idea of a luxury watch is a $400 Movado. The last thing I want is to have the "screw you, you show-off!" thought going through my clients' mind, followed by "we are obviously paying you too much."

So far, I've only met three guys who wore a Rolex - my doctor, my dentist, and a guy I am suing for "tortious interference with contract" (another yum-yum, when I get the bastard).

So share your experience when your Rolex was recognized. How were you perceived? What feelings flew? What did it do to your reputation?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Depending on who is asking, and in what tone, I'd just tell them it was a $100 fake and also mention that you might have overpaid.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
If you have the type of client base who would judge you negatively because of the watch you wear, the suit you wear, the shoes you wear, car you drive, etc., and they have a direct effect on your income then perhaps you should adjust these things accordingly. Outside of that, who cares. If someone asks, tell them you are a collector and begin to bore them with meaningless watch details. They will never question you again.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And...?
what happens when you say "hell yeah, you monkey! I'd never insult the watch making universe by buying a fake, and will have you killed just for assuming that I would!"?

Lol, sorry
That is the reaction
"hey, that's a rolex"
"yup"
"is it real?"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here in Cailfornia (silicon valley) no one thinks twice when some one goes out on a whim to buys a $100K Porsche that worth $10K less after he or she drives it off the show room floor but if you spend $11K on a watch you're considered crazy. Strange.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I am an IT QA consultant, normally working on-site at large pharmaceutical companies. I am eyeballing a Rolex DJ, two-color, white back with roman numerals (yum-yum), but wonder how my clients, and people overall, would react to seeing a Rolex on my wrist. I am normally surrounded by people whose idea of a luxury watch is a $400 Movado. The last thing I want is to have the "screw you, you show-off!" thought going through my clients' mind, followed by "we are obviously paying you too much."

So far, I've only met three guys who wore a Rolex - my doctor, my dentist, and a guy I am suing for "tortious interference with contract" (another yum-yum, when I get the bastard).

So share your experience when your Rolex was recognized. How were you perceived? What feelings flew? What did it do to your reputation?
I cannot speak from experience but if you want it, get it. I believe it is moreso how you wear it versus the actual wearing of the watch. If you annouce, "I wonder what time it is?" and proceed to hold your wrist out for everyone to see, they will think negatively. If you have a beautiful watch and it happens to peak out from under your shirt cuff, they will probably say, "nice watch"... that is if they even notice it.

You have to do what you want and what you feel is right.

Depending on who is asking, and in what tone, I'd just tell them it was a $100 fake and also mention that you might have overpaid.
I would not do this... you may find people looking down on you and thinking much worse thoughts that what you mentioned in your original post. A fake Rolex makes a far larger statement than a real Rolex on your wrist, especially when people know it's fake. Plus, based on you creating this thread, I suspect you will have to work hard and save up for the watch... Why on Earth would you want to demean the watch and diminish the value of the watch as well as your character by telling people it's fake?!

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
As I type this, I'm in a fun meeting where one of the guys is wearing a PP Calatrava, another a Tag Carrera, and a third a Rolex Submariner. I am wearing an Omega and my young minion is watchless (sacrilege, I know). I like the guys with the Tag and the Submariner best, and while I think the Rolex guy is weird for wearing it with a suit, I don't really think it reflects on him in any way (positive or negative).

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You clearly are fibbing... You used fun and meeting consecutively in the same sentence...

Dan

As I type this, I'm in a fun meeting where one of the guys is wearing a PP Calatrava, another a Tag Carrera, and a third a Rolex Submariner. I am wearing an Omega and my young minion is watchless (sacrilege, I know). I like the guys with the Tag and the Submariner best, and while I think the Rolex guy is weird for wearing it with a suit, I don't really think it reflects on him in any way (positive or negative).

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just have to be honest here and say that when I see someone with a rolex on, I think either its fake, or the person is.

I would never owned one, or any other watch I can buy a copy of on Canal Street in nyc for $10.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm 28 and work with people who think $300 on a watch is insane. No one cares or has ever commented about my 1675 or 116610.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just have to be honest here and say that when I see someone with a rolex on, I think either its fake, or the person is.

I would never owned one, or any other watch I can buy a copy of on Canal Street in nyc for $10.
I hate to break it to you, but you'll have a lonely wrist if you never own what the chinese could copy.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
The more I am part of this hobby, the more I appreciate Rolex from a horological standpoint, especially the timeless beauty of a Submariner. Despite this, I will never own one, even if I could afford it. I realize that in a perfect world, we should not be concerned what others think about, but as a partner in a design firm, I must consider these details. I appreciate that for some professions, people are expected to wear a Rolex (law, medicine, etc....), but as an Architect, it would simply indicate that my fees are too high.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I have gotten maybe 5 comments on my Sub in 6 years. Unlike my yellow G Shock Frogman that gets a comment almost every time I wear it. The Sub is not in your face grabbing for attention. Two tone DJ a little different. ;-) Most do not pay much mind or care about watches, people notice when it screams look at me, like Invictas monstrosities!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
In the year that I've owned my GMT-Master IIc, no one has commented, and it doesn't bother me in the least.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts