WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question unrelated to watch making but I want to learn more about how the push button date system works. I want to see if the method of push button date-set can be applied for something else. I am not really sure about the terminology so it would be great if someone could point me to a website or some technical papers (repair manuals, etc).

Thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
Your right there are many different ways of accomplishing the date mechanism. The push button part of your question I don't understand. A button on the case just manually advances the date or complication. You may want to find a watch your curious about then find the movement inside and go from there looking for technical documents etc. The mechanism housed by the case between the movement and human is just a sealed pusher. And once again can be as varied as there are buttons...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, How is the method of pushing the button different from the method of turning the crown?

I have not owned such a watch but I assume that when the calender button is pushed, the date jumps to the next number. Is that right?

Now, for turning the crown, I would imagine that it is just gears moving.
In the ones where you turn the crown, you would turn the crown (maybe 1 time around?) and then the wheel slowly turns to the next number. Also, in a Russian watch, to set the date, it starts at 8:00 position and then when you get to 12:00, the date just jumps forward, almost like energy was stored and then it is released.

Anyway, do you know any push button movements that I could take a look at. Something that is documented enough and probably not expensive if I wanted to take it apart?

·
Registered
721 Posts
You got the idea. The push button advances the complication. For the turn the crown for a quick change another geartrain comes into play to advance the complication, for a normal non quick change you are just advancing the time far enough to engage the date change as it normally would during running. Off hand I do not know of a push button movement that is both documented and inexpensive. Do some research on type / brand of watch your interested in then the movement they use then look for documentation.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The Seiko Bell-Matic advances the date by pushing the alarm button in. Pulling the button out arms the alarm. These are still around and quite affordable, I see them for under $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts