WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
I'm confused: The movements themselves are well designed etc, but you may or may not have a well oiled movement, and you may get bits of metal inside.

If we're after a new watch from Seagull (I am) should we have it taken apart locally to check it out, or should it be ok?

Thanks

If anyone is interested in further reviews of ETA vs Chinese movements, here is a more recent one of the ETA 2824-2 versus Seagull ST2130 and Peacock SL3000.
From that review: A piece of brass is in a jewel hole

· Registered
1,741 Posts
Classic thread revived. This thread was one of the reasons that gave me confidence to try the Seagull 2130. In practice the movement I had was rough. Hand wound rough, and didn't wind on the wrist efficiently. Sent it back twice for repair under warranty but came to conclusion it was just an unrefined movement with quirks I had to live with. Kept time OK when it worked, but long gone and probably won't try again. That was years ago almost as old as this thread lol. Even the micro brand never used this movement again in any other models, my guess is that there probably were other complaints.

· Registered
518 Posts
More and more small independent watch makers (like Wilk Watchworks) are opting to use Chinese movements - he, in fact, uses the tourbillon's as well.
I think that the number 1 concern is reliability and how to get a customer comfortable to spend $500+ on something that only has a 1 - 2 year warranty. Agree that the major watch manufacturers dont offer a longer warranty, but they have built a reputation. Will be interesting to see if the Chinese movements have a real shot in disturbing their Swiss competitors.

· Registered
228 Posts
Re: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to an ETA 2824 or ETA 2004-1: An in-depth look...

I for one have a small army of parnis watches, watches I've built with st36 and watches I've built with swiss 6498s. The dang Chinese movements are spot on. A good clean and lube job and they run great. The mainsprings suck, so I'm intrigued to see how long they last, but really they've been fantastic. I even wear an st2555 every day to work and it's also spot on. And it takes some abuse. I've wanted to steinhart 44 Roman forever, but I've actually been looking at tissel with their version. The price is right and it's beautiful. I've found as long as you stick with the seagull or hangzou it's pretty much a win. As for the actual longevity of the things, I can't attest to that. Haven't killed one yet. Not for lack of trying, my poor work watch gets banged, beat, splashed, hot and cold temps and everything in between and it just runs great. Still looks great for that matter. Guess only time will tell.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

· Registered
228 Posts
Re: How do Seagull and Hangzhou compare to an ETA 2824 or ETA 2004-1: An in-depth look...

My opinion means squat, but with some good quality control, and some innovative products, I really think they have a shot. The hard part will be to separate themselves from the cheap Chinese watch stigma, and the companies that actually produce the total junk. That's like saying all swiss movements are amazing, or all american pocket watches were fantastic. You can't lump everyone together and that's the stigma I feel that they have. There's swiss garbage, and junk american watches. You can't buy an ingersoll and expect Hamilton 992 results.

Anyways that may be off topic, but that's what poped into my head when I read your post. Thanks

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.