WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I usually wash my water resistant watches under the tap, soap and water, sometimes a small soft brush. For watches that aren't water resistant, or I'm not sure, I remove the movement, put it under a lid to keep it away from dust, and repeat the same procedure with the case only, after which I let it dry thoroughly before reassembly. For bracelets, I found that a very concentrated dishwasher solution works best. I let it soak for 5-10 mins, depending on the amount of crud, then rinse it under the tap, using a brush to clean the small crevices if necessary. It really gets the dirt out from between the links. If the watch isn't really dirty, I just wipe it with a clean microfiber towel.
What do you guys usually do? Anything special, specific?

·
Premium Member
61,589 Posts
Most of my watches are water proof so they just get a wash in the shower or if I'm feeling posh they get a dip in the sink. For dress watches that aren't so WR I just wipe them with a damp cloth and dry them on a dry micorfibre cloth. I take the strap/bracelet off the watch head and bracelets get a good wash whereas straps get the same treatment as the watch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just wipe it with a soft tissue, my watches don't usually need cleaning though as they don't get too grubby.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Veraet Watch Spray.....Good stuff.....I think they changed the name?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
When my Seamaster was new I would have rinsed it under the cold tap frequently enough. When it was less than a year old I read this Nicholas Hacko Watchmaker Sydney | Rolex | OMEGA | PATEK | Panerai | ANONIMO | GLYCINE watches and stopped doing that. Have never taken it in the shower/pool/bath. Took the bracelet off the other day and rinsed it - gave the watch a rub with a baby-wipe!
That article is pure crap. Breitling, Omega, and Longines divers are too fragile for diving when those things have 600-2000m resistance. Maybe after 10 years straight with no service. Wash your divers under the sink with a small drop of dish soap (make sure the crown is screwed down) and they'll be just fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A quick lick of the crystal, wipe with T-shirt.....good to go!
I second this method. 100% effective!

Sent from Mobil cause I'm addicted.

·
Registered
29,141 Posts
A good microfiber towel and a 50-50 IPA/distilled water mix.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Aside from getting a wipe with my shirt, it never really happens. I have been trying to find a good, local watch shop for service, repairs, and cleaning. I hate how dirty it gets between the links on a bracelet.

·
Registered
11,894 Posts
That article is pure crap. Breitling, Omega, and Longines divers are too fragile for diving when those things have 600-2000m resistance. Maybe after 10 years straight with no service. Wash your divers under the sink with a small drop of dish soap (make sure the crown is screwed down) and they'll be just fine.
When my Seamaster was new I would have rinsed it under the cold tap frequently enough. When it was less than a year old I read this Nicholas Hacko Watchmaker Sydney | Rolex | OMEGA | PATEK | Panerai | ANONIMO | GLYCINE watches and stopped doing that. Have never taken it in the shower/pool/bath. Took the bracelet off the other day and rinsed it - gave the watch a rub with a baby-wipe!
I'll second that. The information in that link is utter nonsense. The topic of showering while wearing your watch resurfaces on a regular basis, it's perfectly fine, if not a requirement for water resistant watches to get rid of dead skin, dirt and oils from under the bezel and in your bracelets. The only thing you should concern yourself with is that you ensure that the gaskets are in good condition, lubricated or replaced yearly and have the watch pressure tested afterward.

If I can't shower with my watches that are rated for 10 thousand feet, something is really wrong.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Parasol lens cleaner. Expensive but works extremely well, never any smudges or streaks. It is made for high end camera lenses and it is all natural. Two sprays on a microfiber and then I wipe down the watch.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
That's why I buy divers... Just washed them in plain water, no soap, when washing my hands;)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Occasionally I polish the bracelet using Brasso. Makes the watches very shiny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,053 Posts
Occasionally I polish the bracelet using Brasso. Makes the watches very shiny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Be sure to get all of the Brasso residue out because it contains oxalic acid and ammonia as well as silica for an abrasive. If the residue is left in crevices it will continue to work.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts