WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, i stumbled upon this forum and think that a majority of you have great insights on valuing watches. I am an amateur but would like to get more in depth into the watch world.
My question is: how do you evaluate a watch? The consensus is that brands like Tag Heuer, Nomos, Omega, Breitlings, etc fall into the high-end category, while Tissot, Mako, might be in the middle end. But do you judge a watch based on its brand and what it's purported to be made of? If so, how do you tell a genuine one from a counterfeit one? Do you judge from its movements, quality etc?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Hello everyone, i stumbled upon this forum and think that a majority of you have great insights on valuing watches. I am an amateur but would like to get more in depth into the watch world.
My question is: how do you evaluate a watch? The consensus is that brands like Tag Heuer, Nomos, Omega, Breitlings, etc fall into the high-end category, while Tissot, Mako, might be in the middle end. But do you judge a watch based on its brand and what it's purported to be made of? If so, how do you tell a genuine one from a counterfeit one? Do you judge from its movements, quality etc?
What consensus are you talking about?...:-s

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It's a fair question. Brand name is the easiest indicator of likely quality - we trust what we know, like the brands you've mentioned. Or search for reviews on them. If you're buying from an unknown brand you need to know your stuff: find out what movement is in the watch and if it's any good, what the case is made of and by whom etc. But nothing bests trying them on - that can change your opinion of a watch you've only seen in pictures considerably.

As per replicas we don't discuss them here I'm afraid but there are some very good ones out there so buy from a reputable dealer and you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
It all about looks for me. I have an Omega, and at the time I got it, i thought brand name and associated quality meant a lot. Since then , I have discovered a world of watches that can be had for 25% of the price of the big brands that are quite frankly, equally impressive. So if I like what i see, i go for it.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Watches are one of the few manufactured items we can buy that can be acquired at almost any price, from $30 or so to million dollar pieces. The cost of the watch has almost no correlation with its ability to keep accurate time. This does make things tricky. We judge watches to a very large extent in terms of an aesthetic rather than by easily quantifiable criteria. Your $50 Casio may keep better time than your $30,000 JLC, yet we consider one to be a fine watch and the other to be a disposable.

Beauty of design, detail work of the movement, sophistication of mechanical design, history, and of course, quality of craftsmanship all go into our assessment of a watch. Almost all of us prefer a well designed, crafted, and decorated in-house movement to an oscillating quartz crystal, a battery, and some circuitry, but this preference is wholly a subjective one. Is a Renoir of a pretty girl better than a photograph of her? I think so, but this is a matter of appreciation of art, as our appreciation of watches is a matter of the "artistry" of mechanical engineering and of design.

That said, there are, as in art, certain criteria that we use to judge quality: fine materials, flawless detail work, appealing design, accuracy and precision of movement, structural integrity, etc. We do tend to look at brand names, party because of perceived status, but I think more importantly because a manufacturer known for a high quality product will generally put out a high quality product. Jaeger LeCoultre, A Lange & Söhne, yes, Rolex too, and others have developed a reputation for quality products. We tend to rely on their reputations when shopping for our wrists and wrists of those we love.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Some criteria I use for appearance: thin bezel, good contrast dial - hands, long hands, date window located near the edge. Others, good grip for the crown, complications such as PR index, 24h hand, micro regulator, finishing on the movement, etc.

The question is very good so a lot of answers are possible - it comes with the WIS development. Enjoy the journey.

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
If it catches my eye and I can afford it the battle is won (or lost - depending how you look at it). I have only bought from an AD so the problem of imitations has never arisen.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Affordability, appearance, and functions are the most important for me. Each of my watch serves a purpose. I have my dressy watch, work watch, sports watch, hiking watch, don't care if i scratched it watch, and on and on. Yes, that's what i tell my wife every time i get a new watch "but honey this is my ..... watch" :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use the 4 V's: Vintage Cues, Variety, Versatility and Value. I want a watch that has some classic design elements to it, something that is not too similar to something I already have, something versatile enough that it doesn't gather dust most of the time and something that is a great value. The latter does not mean cheap. It means the watch is not overpriced from my point-of-view (and not someone else's).

As for the rest of your questions, you have a lot of reading to do on WUS and across the Internet. There is no Cliff's Notes version to this hobby and no easy way to getting all the answers without doing a lot of homework. There is a wealth of information here. The best way to leverage it is to participate in discussions after you've gained some fundamental knowledge. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I put a picture on WUS.....If 50% have negative comments, I know it's good......Above 75% I buy!........:)

Reactions: drhr and R.Palace

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies! You guys are definitely very informative and make me feel welcomed hahaha! Ya i will learn (ya i am geeky like that) and hopefully can contribute to this forum's discussions sometime soon!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Actually, most people would agree on a different ranking than that. None of those brands are considered "high end," more "luxury level." The high end brands are ones like Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger Le Coultre, Breguet, Patek Philippe, Parmigiani, and Blancpain among others. Luxury brands are more machine-made and less exclusive, like Omega, Breitling, Rolex, Zenith, Grand Seiko, IWC, and others. Nomos is priced a little lower than many offerings from these brands, but is considered a very good value. Most people here would not place Tag Heuer on the same level as the other luxury brands, and they are considered to be not as good of a value by many. And then there are a ton of cheaper brands out there.

As for the quality, you'd be looking for things straight and symmetrical machining, with no distortion or slop on the casework. The bracelets are a big determining factor; the better ones will be more comfortable and have less rattle. The movements on better watches are better finished and adjusted for accuracy. The really nice ones have hand finishing and decoration. Features like ceramic bezels, applied markers, sapphire crystals with antireflective coating, guilloche patterns on the dial, enamel dials, in-house movements, blued screws, and complications in the movement add to the cost of the watch and are seen more often on more expensive watches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts