WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a leather strap for my Grand Seiko but have no idea what signs to look for when finding a good quality leather strap.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Thats actually a pretty big question.

A general rule of thumb is that you'll get what you pay for.

Your watch will afford you a large number of options. Were it mine, I might think about a blue strap with white stitching, or a brown strap with blue stitching. Witjh that textured dial, I'd probably lean more toward something smooth, like a nice leather, over something with a heavy grain or texture - like gator, stingray, ostrich, shark, etc.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking for alternative options to an "official" grand seiko band because they are a bit boring.

I see Hirsch has a number of options but they have mixed reviews (mostly pertaining to $50 and under straps tho).

I almost bought a Nomos strap but it doesn't taper enough at the buckle to allow for a GS buckle, so that option is out.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Depending on your budget, buy the best strap you can afford. I wouldn't put a $40 strap on a $2000 watch, but that's just me. I wouldn't wear $79 shoes with a $1500 suit either, the strap should compliment the watch...with style & quality, the same way a GS is built.

Many of the big makers make great dressy straps, many smaller shops have great products also. When all else fails, go custom build...many great makers on WUS, and it's going to look exactly like you want it to....and fit perfect.

Having variety in your strap collection, really adds style...and completely changes the look of a watch. Pick carefully with forethought, from dressy/sporty/casual/etc...all on the same watch. I rarely use the stock strap with any watch, quality straps are part of collecting too...JMHO

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Maybe find some of the custom strap makers here? Theres also a few sites who do pure custom orders. They make it to your exact needs and throughout the design and making phase your opinion is asked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Maybe find some of the custom strap makers here? Theres also a few sites who do pure custom orders. They make it to your exact needs and throughout the design and making phase your opinion is asked

I totally agree. It's impossible to judge the quality from a pic. Buy w/ confidence from one the custom makers at the top of this page--not a mass produced strap made in some Asian country.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm on board with Toothbras, I didn't know what a good strap looked like until I bought one over $75, then your like o'$#!+, THIS is what a leather watchstrap should look, feel, smell like. At 75+the straps don't have any of that plastic-y looking sealer on the edges hiding laminating or glue or whatever, you just see and feel leather. Buy cheap, get cheap, just like buying watches. A lot of strap manufacturers have different tiers of quality for a good reason. Hirsch and C&B have some fantastic straps but you must pay.

Cut to the chase, wearing $400 shoes with a $500 suit will get you laid, "just sayin'"

they are a little pricey, but Hodinkee has some very nice straps for around $150, depending on the style you choose. Had this one for about a month and am in love with it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I work at a wholesaler of leather belts amongst other things. While it's not leather straps, it's pretty similar. The quality difference on Italian and Indian/Chinese leather is huge. I think it's the way the leather is prosessed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts