WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wear your Sub (or any Rolex) daily, how do you keep it from getting scratched and worn over time? Is it worth wearing an expensive watch if you have to worry about it getting dinged?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You will learn very quickly to be more aware of smashing your appendages into inanimate objects.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
This to some extent. My clothes are long sleeved so the watch is often protected.

Scratches are inevitable. Its a watch not a statue or a bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
579 Posts
As a daily beater rolex, use a rubber strap, now you eliminated that nasty scratch magnet bracelet

if its a ceramic sub the upper layer is scratch resistant (i.e., the sapphire glass and the ceramic upper part of bezel)

The risk of getting scratch will be isolated only on the side areas ( i.e., crown guard area and the opposite side area) the groove area of the bezel & the brushed lugs.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
A watch is not some sacred relic to be preserved without blemish until you die. It is intended to be worn, where it WILL collect random marks...this is your personalization...if you are thinking "what if I want to sell it someday?", just face the fact that most watches depreciate, and there isn't any point in owning a watch which you are afraid to wear.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I wear my SubC pretty much 24/7, and it's really not an issue. While I'm aware of the fact that it's on my wrist, I don't really worry too much about it. If there is any risk to the watch, I simply take it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much. I have a sub non-date and its picked up a few marks on the bracelet and the sides of the case. If you get it serviced by Rolex they polish all the scratches out as part of the service. So, relax and enjoy it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
A watch is not some sacred relic to be preserved without blemish until you die. It is intended to be worn, where it WILL collect random marks...this is your personalization...if you are thinking "what if I want to sell it someday?", just face the fact that most watches depreciate, and there isn't any point in owning a watch which you are afraid to wear.
I have a friend who works at the Acura dealership here in Florida....Acura has this 200k car they sell limited production. I am not a car guy so I don't remember the name of it but it's super fast....A collector from up north bought the car in Florida and he bought it just to put in his collection. He would never drive it or take it out since it's limited production and risk a dink or scratch....My question to him would be, why bother if you can't really enjoy the investment you made ? Whats the point in buying a car like that to just buff and shine on occasion? You have to take it out and use it...Sure it's going to get scratches and dinks but that's not a hindrance...That adds character....Take the risk, enjoy the watch and let it get a little scratched and worn...It adds character and breaks the watch in in terms of comfort and aesthetics...There are watch enthusiast that pay big bucks for patina and antiquing...They want the watch to look worn and antique and will pay a pretty penny for it so take that into consideration....It's all part of the process of owning a fine watch...So get out there and enjoy it and let it take it's knicks and scratches....It will all be ok...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I just try to be as mindful as possible. I drift my left hand behind me when walking through doors or tight spaces, don't go diving into the desk or fridge. Take it off before doing tasks like dishes or whatever it might be. It's a lot of being wise with choices, I wear my tudors regularly and haven't scratched or dinged either of them at all. I take it off at work only because I work with my hands, but outside of that I have my watch on at all times.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
what if you have naturally bad priopriception?
Then you should consider owning a Damasko. They build watch cases with steel that is about 4 times stronger than the one used by Rolex, so even if you ding it, it will be harder to scratch

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have a friend who works at the Acura dealership here in Florida....Acura has this 200k car they sell limited production. I am not a car guy so I don't remember the name of it but it's super fast....A collector from up north bought the car in Florida and he bought it just to put in his collection. He would never drive it or take it out since it's limited production and risk a dink or scratch....My question to him would be, why bother if you can't really enjoy the investment you made ? Whats the point in buying a car like that to just buff and shine on occasion? You have to take it out and use it...Sure it's going to get scratches and dinks but that's not a hindrance...That adds character....Take the risk, enjoy the watch and let it get a little scratched and worn...It adds character and breaks the watch in in terms of comfort and aesthetics...There are watch enthusiast that pay big bucks for patina and antiquing...They want the watch to look worn and antique and will pay a pretty penny for it so take that into consideration....It's all part of the process of owning a fine watch...So get out there and enjoy it and let it take it's knicks and scratches....It will all be ok...
That's an Acura NSX, it's $170k, and it's definitely not intended as a garage queen... Believe it or not, most guys who buy them are uber wealthy and have legitimate super cars in the $500k and up range. They buy the NSX to flog on the track, to the test the limits of their ability without risking one of their million dollar investments. The NSX is like the Submariner to guys with multiple Pateks and ALS pieces... They buy it as a beater. Thing is, the NSX inevitably ends up being their favorite car. It's a terrific beast, and a legitimate bargain. I mean, $170k won't even get you a Turbo S these days.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
If you wear your Sub (or any Rolex) daily, how do you keep it from getting scratched and worn over time? Is it worth wearing an expensive watch if you have to worry about it getting dinged?
If you want a watch that looks great with no scratches, get an AP Royal Oak. The brushing on that looks terrible once marred. The Submariner on the other hand... The Sub is built for abuse. Like a nice pair of selvedge denim jeans, it only looks better with wear.

Pristine Subs never look right. You know those guys who never dress up, so when they put a nice suit on, they're all stiff, and the jacket, having hung in a closet most of it's life, is all molded to the hanger and doesn't drape right, and the whole effect is that of a little kid in his church clothes? That's what a scratch-free Sub is like. Not a good look on a man.

Subs (and all the Rolex sports models, for that matter) need some miles on them before they are their best. Wear the wear with pride.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Dings or scratches or whatever are painful. We have to admit that. It's part of the pains in life. So deal with it in any way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The only thing you can really do is wrap the clasp in clear 3m vinyl so you don't get desk diving marks. Don't be scared of getting marks just enjoy wearing the watch

1 - 20 of 38 Posts