WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is primarily directed at people with more watches than days in a calendar month but anyone with less in their collection is welcome to chime in too. We can all agree that not all watches are created equal. We feel drawn to give certain watches in our collection, not only for reasons of cost or better brand recognition, more wrist time than they "democratically" deserve.
I have over 40 watches and once tried an alphabetical rotation of the collection. It seemed to be the fairest arrangement until the 15th day when I cracked and skipped a Hamilton for an Invicta that I felt worked better for shirt I picked for the day (gratuitous photo below). Takes a confident guy to pull off that matching green look, but I guess I wasn't feeling "Hammy" that day either! (Rimshot) ;-p
So how do you rotate your collection and do you "cheat" or stay faithful to the method(s)? I mean, there ought to be some method to the madness of owning and keeping that many watches, right?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371920015.641507.jpg

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I have a seven day rotation plan for 6 months of the year, ref.Summer season.
Then a seven day, 6 month.Ref.Winter season...I have 14 watches.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Well,my main rotation consist of 11 watches,usually I wear each for a week before I switch to another one,however if I really like the watch or while travelling,I can wear the same watch for as long as my travel plan

·
Premium Member
66,822 Posts
I don't have a fixed rotation for my watches - I simply wrest off the Oris ProDiver Date (my fave) and put one of the others on. Like I said, I have no fixed rota but checked recently and all my pieces were getting the same amount of wrist time with the exception of the PDD which keeps finding it's way onto my arm.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Well,my main rotation consist of 11 watches,usually I wear each for a week before I switch to another one,however if I really like the watch or while travelling,I can wear the same watch for as long as my travel plan
X2 - except I only have 7 watches

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wear what matches my outfit and the occasion. If one or more of my collection would do for the day then it goes on what I haven't worn for a while out of the two or three etc.
This is the method, if one can call it one, that I've resigned to, but I've sometimes lost track. I guess that's just part of the fun of watch collection.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I have about 50 in my collection. I have them listed in my computer calendar so I wear a different watch, in rotation, every day. I'm retired. I wear what I want, when I want.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I just grab and wear whatever I want on that day. Lately, my tourbillon and U-Boat have been getting the most wrist time. During the school year, my Oris gets a lot of wrist time. My Kobold always gets some wear in any season. My Sea-Gull has recently fallen out of favor so it might be time to either rekindle interest in it or flip it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No order of rotation, just go with whichever one I want to put on.

Reactions: Kakofonyx

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have multiple watch stands in a cabinet, rotate the watches on stands...and wear. I usually don't cheat unless it's a special event, or dress watch required.

Reactions: Kakofonyx

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I look at my watchboxes.... Then pick the one I want to wear that day.

I don't really have a method of choosing, although if it's an outdoors type activity it's almost always the Suunto or (now) the Protrek.

Sent from Russia.... with love.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I usually post what watch I'm going to wear in the WRUW thread during the work week. Since the thread typically opens the night before on the east coast of the US, I mentally choose which watch that evening, and it pretty much dictates what I'll wear with it. I only have 5 mechanical's, so I wear a different one Monday - Friday and usually quartz on the weekends.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm unapologetically biased toward my more accurate watches, however if a certain watch is needed for a special occasion, it moves to the front of the line temporarily. I have 10 mechanicals (only one of which is a handwound).

I'll start with one watch at the beginning of the month by setting the time. I'll wear it until the time deviates by more than +/- 30 seconds. Once it's exceeded the threshold, the next watch in rotation comes in...gets set and I wear it until it no longer matches my RC Citizen Eco-Drive time by 30 seconds. If any watch gets up to 30 days without losing or gaining more than 30 seconds, I bench it in favor of the next watch in line.

As ridiculous as this obsessive time checking may seem, it's almost become a little bit of a game for me. I'm actually a little more flexible than I've described, depending on if there's an occasion where a different watch would be better suited. Sometimes, if I just feel like wearing a certain watch, I'll just put it on for a day or two until I feel like going back to my rotation. Luckily, most of my watches have a long enough power reserve to be benched for a day or two before I pick up where I left off in the rotation. If the watch goes beyond the 30 seconds while out of rotation, I move to the next watch.

For yard work or chores where I'm likely to bang my watch a lot, I move to one of my quartz watches. Thankfully, I can get out of doing too much strenuous, watch abusing chores from time to time...meaning, more wrist time for my mechanicals;-).

The watches that don't get worn that month get thrown in my winder to move the gears and oils a little, or gets a quick wind or wear for a day.

I know...more complicated than needed, but I'm a complicated (mildly to moderately sick) individual.o|:-d

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I try to adequate the watch to the predictable activities expected for a certain day. That means: where I'll probably be, what I expect to do, what function/ functions will be useful under those circunstances and finally, macthing my outfit doesn't hurt, either. With my monotonous life, this is an easy task, believe me :) If more than one watch applies then I choose the one with less wrist time. That's it.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Well, I certainly don't have as many watches as many posters here, but I wear whatever grabs my eye when I look into my watch boxes. That would be how I rotate my collection.

Actually, scratch that. I typically match my watch with my outfit because I good timepiece is a great accent to apparel. I can't even express how much it drives me nuts to wear a black strap watch with brown shoes. A brown strap goes with brown shoes, or something that matches. Black strap with anything else, really.

I didn't expect to post all this, and it's probably not all relevant to the thread, but whatever.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts