WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had an interest in watches and bought a modern Datejust 116234 2.5 years ago when my daughter was born. Since then I also picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster Deville from the 60s and was given a Seiko 5 by family. However, I really got into watches 6 months ago and have been going a little nuts. Picked up and sold a Heuer Carrera Re-edition CS3111 followed by a Buckley 1601, Pre ceramic Sub 14060M, Cartier Tank Solo, Speedy Reduced, a WWII vintage CYMA and most recently a 16710 Pepsi GMT.

I already have my eyes set on picking up a sector dial JLC Master Control Date. I think I should slow down, but I also wonder if this watch will be harder to pickup in a few years.

I feel like I should slow down and appreciate what I have. Any tips on how some of you manage to control yourselves and appreciate the existing collection?

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Quit WatchUSeek and stop visiting Watch Shops!

Just kidding (kind of).

Wear your Watches regularly.

Those that have not been worn for a while, wear them and enjoy them!

·
Sponsor
13,136 Posts
Personally, when more important stuff comes around and keeps me busy, it puts watch collecting into perspective. I haven't desired a new watch in about a year - because no bandwidth!

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,714 Posts
Any tips on how some of you manage to control yourselves and appreciate the existing collection?
You could include another hobby with your watches. (i.e. Going on vacation, reading a book, going on a hike, etc.); this works for me.

Also, pick out some different straps to outfit your existing collection.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Look at everyone advocating restraint. I went the other way. Go crazy. Buy everything and anything you desire, find intriguing, even buy stuff you don’t like. Obviously sell when you get bored with it. After some years and several hundred watches, you would have effectively bought and sold every type of watch and all watches (no matter how great) just becomes another watch because you’ve seen it in a different form before.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,333 Posts
I've always had an interest in watches and bought a modern Datejust 116234 2.5 years ago when my daughter was born. Since then I also picked up a vintage Omega Seamaster Deville from the 60s and was given a Seiko 5 by family. However, I really got into watches 6 months ago and have been going a little nuts. Picked up and sold a Heuer Carrera Re-edition CS3111 followed by a Buckley 1601, Pre ceramic Sub 14060M, Cartier Tank Solo, Speedy Reduced, a WWII vintage CYMA and most recently a 16710 Pepsi GMT.

I already have my eyes set on picking up a sector dial JLC Master Control Date. I think I should slow down, but I also wonder if this watch will be harder to pickup in a few years.

I feel like I should slow down and appreciate what I have. Any tips on how some of you manage to control yourselves and appreciate the existing collection?
After maybe 5 years of accumulating a collection that mostly sat unworn I decided a change was needed. Several years ago I moved much of the collection on. I also decided to not make snap buy decisions. Instead I do a lot of researching and reading and looking and have to be convinced the watch is a long term keeper that will get worn. So far it has worked and I enjoy each watch.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
It takes a great deal of willpower, especially if you're on this site a lot.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
After maybe 5 years of accumulating a collection that mostly sat unworn I decided a change was needed. Several years ago I moved much of the collection on. I also decided to not make snap buy decisions. Instead I do a lot of researching and reading and looking and have to be convinced the watch is a long term keeper that will get worn. So far it has worked and I enjoy each watch.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
790 Posts
Taking time out of your day to actually look and appreciate your watches, rather than oogle at other watches on this forum/internet usually helps calm the urge for something new. I quickly realise what I have is already special and covers many bases.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
For about the last 3 months of last year, I wore one watch for a week. January a new challenge here on WUS was to wear the same watch for a month.

Spending time with the same watch made me either appreciated it, or not appreciate it. That slowed down my buying significantly.

*Now I need to work on curbing my enthusiasm for Allen Edmonds, Clark's and Wolverines.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think it’s natural to go a little crazy at first, but moderation and satisfaction with your collection will come with time. I found myself feeling more relaxed and at ease once I bought my SubC. I can’t even express how badly I wanted that watch. When I got it, it ticked every box and exceeded my expectations. Being so happy with my Sub and my other watches (meaning mainly my autos) has helped me to see everything that comes after it as gravy. Of course, I definitely have my eye on some pieces, but I’m not clamoring to get them anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: mleok

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
Look at everyone advocating restraint. I went the other way. Go crazy. Buy everything and anything you desire, find intriguing, even buy stuff you don’t like. Obviously sell when you get bored with it. After some years and several hundred watches, you would have effectively bought and sold every type of watch and all watches (no matter how great) just becomes another watch because you’ve seen it in a different form before.
Bingo! I assumed there was a way for me to do what you're asking OP but after many attempts fairly early on it couldn't be done, at least for me, so like NightOwl I gorged until very, very satiated (enjoying them all btw). . . . now, I've slowed down since there is really very little under the sun that I like (aesthetically) that hasn't already been sampled. Good luck in your search . . . .

·
Registered
7,963 Posts

I would slow it down, if I were you. This is a money grabbing hobby albeit enjoyable. There will always be new watches every year. Dantan said it best although with a bit of humor to stay away from the hobby. Perhaps replacing this hobby by spending more time with your daughter (not that you don't) and saving up for her college education. Or have more kids. Lol.

Was in the same predicament, buying watches left and right micros, luxury brands and unknown brands. Till I counted how many watches I have. Gave away a lot to my wife and relatives. Sold a few. Down to 28 now.

I'm retired which is why I'm still around here. May have had regrets not taking up the hobby during my early and most productive years. But other priorities took precedence.

Wish you the best in your decision.

Cheers,

Rick.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
ha ha ha. this thread is hysterical. I can totally relate.
I think what will work for you is very dependent on the individual, so much of the advice you get here won't be good for you, but hopefully some will.

Two things helped me:
1) Buying and playing around w straps lets you keep buying, and you'd be surprised how much a strap change can change a watch's character. So that's at least a much cheaper way to feed the addiction
2) I instituted a one-in-one out policy, or at least a variant of that (equal $$ must come in and out of the collection) that helped me a lot. It's easier to do this after you have bought a bunch of watches.

Lastly, I would just say that for me the conventional wisdom that you hear a lot on WUS is wrong. You will read in many threads that the way to go is, over time, trim your collection down to a small number of higher end pieces. While I do own some higher end pieces, I also own a lot of micros and some inexpensive watches as well. For me, I find I get a great pleasure out of many of these watches, so beware the conventional wisdom......

Of course, what the others said in this thread must also be true --- stay off these forums and off watchrecon and etc. if you really want to slow down....!!!

Good luck and have fun!

and no post here should be complete without a photo!!
seaforth BW.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 86 Posts