WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been slowly building up my solar powered watch collection (just ordered a Protrek PRG-500 and very excited!) and was wondering what is the best way to store them when not in use? As I understand from Casio instruction manuals it is not good to keep them in darkness as it degrades the solar battery. But I'm not too keen on keeping my watches on the top of my dresser either or out in the open for that matter (call it paranoia).

So I was wondering if you guys had any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I have attached them all on a foam isolation pipe, sitting on a windows sill, facing south.

cheers

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine resides in a glass top watch case in good view of a window.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Mine do sit in a dark box. They go into 'sleep' mode and come out of the box on 'High' - assuming that is the way they went in.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I put all my G-Shock in their own boxes. Never worried about the battery will run down. I think that's the purpose of using tough solar.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Mine do sit in a dark box. They go into 'sleep' mode and come out of the box on 'High' - assuming that is the way they went in.
same here. i bring them out every other week and put them on my roof for a few hours of charging though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a watch box that holds about a dozen watches. The place I keep it is kind of dark, but a couple times a month, I put the whole box in a south facing window to get some sun.

·
Registered
20,566 Posts
IMO it doesn't matter how you store your G-shocks, but the rechargeable battery might need a bit of care, the best way to store a G-shock with a rechargeable battery is to fully charge the battery from time to time before it reaches the zero.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have two solar Gs -- a G-9200 and a GW-5600J. The former is stored in a leather watch box along with most of my other watches, while the latter is perched by a window for signal reception purposes.

Those are their usual locations when they are not in use. And their battery levels remain on H.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mine is in a glass (plastic?) top watch case, but sort of far from a window. I'm afraid that if the sun is shining on them all the time, the resin color may fade or the resisns may crack...or am I just being paranoid? Keep in mind I'm in sunny Hawaii, and we get quite a bit of sun here. When the battery goes down to medium charge, I make it a point to wear that watch for a day or a week until it goes back to high. I find that my riseman needs quite a bit of wrist time with all of those extra features going on.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I just store them on top of my dresser, not dark, but away from sunlight (afraid of cracking the resin).

·
Registered
66 Posts
On a lamp next to a window...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts