WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
could anybody explain how a dry testing machine (the machine used to test if a watch is waterproof) works?

My idea is that the thickness of the watch is measured first, then the watch is placed in a pressurized environment, if the watch thickness doesn't change the watch is not waterproof, otherwise it is. Is that correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dear all,
could anybody explain how a dry testing machine (the machine used to test if a watch is waterproof) works?

My idea is that the thickness of the watch is measured first, then the watch is placed in a pressurized environment, if the watch thickness doesn't change the watch is not waterproof, otherwise it is. Is that correct?

Thanks
Have a read of this manual it explains what happens well.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/category/waterproof-testing-machines It is the Witschi Proofmaster S Manual Pages 1 - 32.

Ignore the bits about using/setting up the machine and read the bits about the deformation of the case under pressure.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Essentially yes - under vacuum the case should expand, and under pressure it should compress. Different programs on the machine (I use the Proofmaster S mentioned by Dom) will determine the pressure and amount of vacuum used, as well as many other parameters. The machine just does not look for movement of the case, but the amount and rate of the movement - this can be different depending on the case construction.

Cheers, Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts