WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am in the market yet for another piece and I find my self in between a Rolex Explorer II black face and a zenith el primero post royal or elite post royal, I am looking for a casual dress watch that can double for a casual business suit and casual jeans watch.
Thanks for your help!

24b3txw.jpg

yjydarys.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I might even consider the Eterna 1935 grande, I like the reverso looks of this one too, but I assume Eterna is not in the same league as Rolex and Zenith..
51.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is Zenith in the same league as Rolex and Omega?

I am considering a Zenith el primero but I am weary of selling my Omega planet ocean to fund the purchase, am I going backwards here?
I like my Omega planet ocean but just does not look right with a business suit, also I am concerned about Zenith holding its value on the long run.

I appreciate any advice, thanks and cheers!

$_57.JPG El primero .....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Is Zenith in the same league as Rolex and Omega?

Get the watch that speaks to you and ignore any notions of prestige.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,350 Posts
I'm not sure how to do a brand comparison. All three are high quality watches from well known companies with an established reputation. I do think the look of the Rolex is much more conservative and understated than either of the Zenith watches. The Zenith watches because of their design and shape will be much more of a presence on your wrist than the round case Rolex. Any of them would work well with jeans and office casual dress. My ranking would be 3, 1 and 2. Open escapements are a visual distraction for me.

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
I own a Stratos and can honestly say that while Zenith makes excellent movements and has nice history, the Rolex is a better watch.

I just happen to like the Stratos style more than anything Rolex makes. I do think Zenith makes a great watch though. Just not Rolex meticulous insanity great.

Reactions: vatoloco_hd

·
Premium Member
22,580 Posts
I think that Zenith is comparable to Rolex and Omega in terms of prestige, but compared to the iconic Explorer II, I would choose neither of the two Zeniths that you are considering. Part of the problem in my mind with Zenith is that they have iconic movements, like the El Primero, which was the first automatic high-beat chronograph movement, and made famous by its use in the older Rolex Daytonas, but I am not sure I can point to any Zenith watch in particular that I would consider iconic.

As for the Eterna, just say no. If you are looking for the Reverso look, just get a JLC Reverso, there is simply no substitute. The Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931 is a wonderful example, and at a similar price point to the Explorer II.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that Zenith is comparable to Rolex and Omega in terms of prestige, but compared to the iconic Explorer II, I would choose either of the two Zeniths that you are considering. Part of the problem in my mind with Zenith is that they have iconic movements, like the El Primero, which was the first automatic high-beat chronograph movement, and made famous by its use in the older Rolex Daytonas, but I am not sure I can point to any Zenith watch in particular that I would consider iconic.

As for the Eterna, just say no. If you are looking for the Reverso look, just get a JLC Reverso, there is simply no substitute. The Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931 is a wonderful example, and at a similar price point to the Explorer II.

I did considered the reverso but it seems that the classic is so tiny on the wrist and the grande taille is closer to $6,000 as opposed to $4,500 for the explorer II
also my concern is that the reverso is only a dress watch and won't work as well with jeans IMO
it is an iconic piece though!

·
Premium Member
22,580 Posts
I did considered the reverso but it seems that the classic is so tiny on the wrist and the grande taille is closer to $6,000 as opposed to $4,500 for the explorer II
also my concern is that the reverso is only a dress watch and won't work as well with jeans IMO
it is an iconic piece though!
$4500 for a preowned Explorer II in excellent condition will likely take a bit of effort to find. In particular, this will have to be the older model which might mean you have to factor in the cost of a movement service.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I can only think of the water rating of the Rolex over the Zenith....I don't know about the Eterna, but I like it.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts

Simple question...Simple answer...Yes

Reactions: vatoloco_hd

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

Threads Merged.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

To answer your question, Zenith is a top quality watch maker that takes a backseat to no one in fit finish and movement quality. So it compares well to any brand in the upper middle to high end watches. A Rolex ExpII for $4500 means that you are looking at a Z serial at best and probably 6-7 years unserviced. Add $600 of service to that cost. But in this case I would say a nice last gen ExpII is hard to beat at any level.

·
Premium Member
22,580 Posts
Sorry, I just noticed a typo in my first post, I meant to say I preferred the iconic Explorer II over any of the options presented.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

To answer your question, Zenith is a top quality watch maker that takes a backseat to no one in fit finish and movement quality. So it compares well to any brand in the upper middle to high end watches. A Rolex ExpII for $4500 means that you are looking at a Z serial at best and probably 6-7 years unserviced. Add $600 of service to that cost. But in this case I would say a nice last gen ExpII is hard to beat at any level.
The late models of the rolex explorer II are the ones that I prefer actually , I change straps all the time and having the holes in the case keeps me from scratching the case when I am changing the bracelet so I don't mind a late year.

·
Premium Member
22,580 Posts
Even before I had my El Primero, my perception was that Zenith was a "nicer" watch than Rolex or Omega, but I'm not sure if I'm correct in thinking that.
Zenith always felt a bit closer to a high-end watch to me, but I can't really point to why I feel that way. Perhaps it's because they do a better job of complications and dressy timepieces, which I tend to associate with high-end brands.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Zenith always felt a bit closer to a high-end watch to me, but I can't really point to why I feel that way.

Well, they do work in the same small workshop manner.
Their LVMH partner happily refers to them as a true watch manufactory which is an indication of the extent of their internal production and how minimal their use of third party supply is.

The only real differing area between Zenith and the other "bigger" names is that Zenith produces watches for the (more) everyman instead of fantastically finished and decorated artisan products only.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts