WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yep, this.

My question has always been exactly why the Speedmaster was so durable and passed the tests (twice) while other quality brands didn't. I don't know what it is, but it (mainly) survived some real abuse in the NASA tests. I'm talking about the manual-wound Speedmaster Professional. The automatic versions are different watches and I don't know if they share the same robustness.
While we all enjoy thinking about how the speedmaster was simply the best made watch out of all that is tested, we have to be willing to admit to some extent that much of it was coincidence. The other watches shouldn’t be judged as inferior. They just happened to have some arbitrary features that can’t withstand some out of this world (literally) conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Isn’t there an Instagram account that posts nothing but pictures of a Speedy underwater? I remember seeing it on here but can’t find it to save my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
Isn’t there an Instagram account that posts nothing but pictures of a Speedy underwater? I remember seeing it on here but can’t find it to save my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had no issues washing hands or showering with my speedy, but I never would have intentionally submerged it. A chronograph that wasn’t really designed with water submersion in mind is just a bit too scary. Something I had also decided when weighing the differences between water testing under static pressure vs real life dynamic pressure. For this same reason I wouldn’t exactly feel comfortable taking a 300m seamaster diving to a depth of 300m.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
While we all enjoy thinking about how the speedmaster was simply the best made watch out of all that is tested, we have to be willing to admit to some extent that much of it was coincidence. The other watches shouldn’t be judged as inferior. They just happened to have some arbitrary features that can’t withstand some out of this world (literally) conditions.

Oh, I absolutely think it was coincidence. These were all quality watches essentially ordered from the manufacturers just as you'd find them in the stores. But for some reason the Speedmaster proved the most durable. That's what I'm wondering about.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts