WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been scouring the innerwebs looking for a certain watch and thought I'd stop by to see what youse guyses were up to. I noticed traffic on the forum has decreased a bit...just a sign of the watch times (no pun intended) or maybe the fact that no new Kobold release is pending? Hope everyone's doing okay.

Cliff

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
great time to pick up used KOBOLD until week couple weeks ago , it seems like the sellers are holding on to their KOBOLD watches now because of lower demand and prices for KOBOLD watches.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I sold all 3 of mine, due to issues with KWC which just p***ed me off....and it seems that other former KOBOLD fans did the same (selling their watches) for other reasons. A lot of Kobold watches have been traded recently for sometimes really good prices. I think one of the main problems is, that the pre-owned market in general disagrees with the value of thoses watches set by KWC. I would dare to say that a pre-owned KOBOLD with a 3000$ price tag is very difficult to sell (that was at least my experience with my SMG-1)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouch. I didn't see a lot of posts by the regulars...thought maybe everybody knew something I didn't. Which is probably true anyway. :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm a new pre-owned Kobold owner, and have been surprised at the lack of activity here too. I will say their retail prices are getting laughable, but I've always liked a few of their pieces. Not impressed with their responsiveness (that is, lack of) to my questions though.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
From what I've seen, the small-brand forums have been slow in favor of the ultra-popular sub-forums on WUS. While WUS is growing, places like Ocean7, Sinn, Kobold and Anonimo (the brand forums I tend to read most often) are just puttering along. Even Pil-Mil seems to be slow.
Moreover, sales of any watches in the >1500USD range are slow. I've had several listed for nearly a year and don't even bother bumping them any more. Took five months to sell a serviced Aquastar B-500 at much less than market (if eBay listings mean anything). Many friends who are selling watches have had similar experiences. As a seller, you have to be prepared to take a partial trade. There are bargains to be had among many brands for the cash buyer.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Concur with your opinion about sales....I always feel sorry for guys who have to sell their watches IOT raise money. People don't want to pay even a fair price and then they start to complain about the faintest dings or scratches...And don't even mention the low-ballers. It takes a lot of fun away from that game...

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Yeah...I'm still loving my SEAL with all three bezels...and my LSD....and have no intention of selling them. It's not about prices. I just really like them better than any other watches out there in that (used) price range

·
Registered
141 Posts
I love my AD and wear it more than my other watches...I would really like to get the tact version but the used prices are inflated IMHO and I don't see the value in it. It's too bad that this brand is losing steam.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Are we really sure it's losing steam or is speculation based on a very small sample of the watch buying population?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
It's based on the people who care about watches and are on the forum. There are probably many who buy Kobold and don't really care about WUS...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Cliff,
All ok, thanks for checking!

You are probably right about the lack of traffic due to no new releases. Seems like the last big burst was the Black OPS and
then a little bit when the R.E. Byrd automatic came out. Once something new comes out perhaps everyone willl fire up again!
Although there are a few familiar names to be seen...

It will be interesting to see if Kobold continues with the large case watch trend (> 40mm). It would be nice to see something different.
The R. E. Byrd just didn't have that 'Kobold' look to it :)

clonetrooper,
Perhaps the introduction special prices make it hard for Kobold pieces to reach a stable point?

outtatime, (license plate from Back to the Future?)
The retails prices now are certainly a big jump from the time of internet direct sales. It would be
interesting to know how many pieces they sold each year for the last 5 years. I am sure the pricing strategy has
been done to death, so lets move on! :)

I have had mixed success with contacting KWC. Sometimes an email is answered promptly (especially from Sales!),
other times is goes for a week or more. Various reasons have been given, spam filters etc but just persist and they
do get back to you. It helps not to take it personally :) Just expect it to be difficult and you will not be disappointed!
Seriously though, they have always replied at some stage.

regards,
George

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I still love the brand, but have been without a Kobold for awhile until recently.

I just got two in and have modification parts incoming direct from KWC. Hopefully they'll show up tomorrow or Friday, and I should have pics up over the weekend. Pretty stoked about it. :)

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Are we really sure it's losing steam or is speculation based on a very small sample of the watch buying population?
I spoke at length with Brian on Monday, and he assures me it's quite certainly the latter. He said business is beyond booming and they're busier than ever. Granted, there's no way for me to verify this is fact, but it certainly doesn't sound like they're desperate to garner forum sales, so I think they're doing just fine.

I know for a few years, they heavily advertised in the big watch mags - I'm sure that does pay off. Plus, they've got some pretty good exposure with TV sightings (24, CSI, Hawaii 5-0) which probably gives some good repute to the brand, especially to those who don't care about internet watch forums.

I, for one, do hope that business really is booming - I think KWC can do some great stuff if they just tweaked things a little here and there. Despite my own exposure to other brands over the past couple years (Rolex, IWC, JLC, Panerai, etc...), I'm still a big fan of the brand. In fact, I find that many Koboldians are in this basket as well - those who enjoy the brand and the watches despite collections that make Kobold watches look "pedestrian".

I guess sometimes a watch (or watch company) just clicks for you.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Its funny as watch collector, sometimes one has to kick around other brands and comeback to KOBOLD watches to appreciate it even more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts