WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking for awhile now about pulling the trigger on a gruen. I've always wanted one to add to my collection but I just always been hesitant . So I'm curious to hear what you guys think

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Can't tell you much without a picture. Early Gruens were top-notch watches. Most had Swiss made movements in US made cases. Some shared movements with similar Rolex models. Vintage Curvex watches are generally collectible, so long as they have an original dial and are in working condition.

The company lost their way in the mid-1950's and watches produced after that time generally have limited appeal to collectors. But there are always exceptions (google "Gruen Airflight").

Today the company is owned by an importer who uses the name on watches sold at discount stores. Some of the mechanical Gruens from the 1990's have Swiss ETA movements and are pretty decent watches for the price.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have any pics but i was talking about the Gruen Curvex... Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Gruen watches in the right era are very nice. The movements are very good quality. Parts availability remains pretty good. The couple in my collection are excellent time-keepers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
GRUENS ROCK! (says the guy from the Gruen site that has the Gruen Forum)

Great value for the money.

Parts are reasonably easy to find

They had some groundbreaking features and Gruen watches were right up near the top of watches to own in their day. The prices and quality of their wristwatches from the 20s -40s were for more affluent customers from that era.

By all means get yourself one, or two, or three :-!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts