WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes yes I know another radium thread. But I do have a genuine question. I have recently acquired a few watches and one in particular gives me concern. I have not owned a watch this hot yet. It makes my counter go crazy. It gives off a reading of 2300 CPM when placed against the crystal of the watch and 100 CPM when placed against the case back. This to me still seems very high? Does anyone know if this is safe enough to wear at these levels? Most of my other radium watches are a fraction of this one, most being 500-800 CPM.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Found this online: "A CPM reading of at least 100 is considered a warning level by the Radiation Network, although the length of time you're exposed to the radiation is an important factor. If you're concerned about staying within safe radiation levels, Ken Jorgustin explains on the Modern Survival Blog that it would take 432 days at a CPM of 100 to up your chance of getting cancer to odds of 1 in 1,000".

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Like all of these radium discussions, 'the world is grey, not black and white' - how much, how long... leading to a probability as mentioned just above.

When I think about relative probabilities, of 1/1000 or 1/10000 of developing a health issue, I'm reminded many of us buy lottery tickets at maybe something like 1/50,000,000!

IMHO 2300 CPM is too high, but I'm an Economist, so just to add another example I have shown before, which may have the informal WUS vintage CPM record, here is an example of a CPM reading north of 10,000 - needless to say I took this watch back to the flea market I purchased it at, the next day !

Good luck, S

Electronics Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument Thermostat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,101 Posts

Yankee version:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.