WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I have had my Sinn U1 for a month or two and I am bit of a stickler for accuracy.

I keep an eye on the accuracy regularly and I find that the watch normally does +2 seconds a day.

Now I have read a number of posts about the wearing the threads out if you unscrew the crown too much, in order to wind or adjust the watch.

I have been meaning to avoid this, and I have found out how too. Not sure if this will work with everyone, but this is what I do.

At night, I tend to take off my watch. When I take it off, and find that its running slow, I put it face up on the bed side table. Waking up in the morning I find that the watch has sped up by a second or two. I do this a couple of night and I am normally back to accurate time (I compare it to a Casio with Waveceptor).

If it runs too fast I lie the watch on its side. I prop it up so its 90 degrees to the surface of the bed side table. This slows it down a second or two during the night.

This really works well for me, but maybe I am just an accuracy nut.

Maybe this technique is old news??? But its new to me!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
You bring a new meaning to the expression WIS!!
What you do is a very clever way to fine tune the time that works well if you only use one watch for longer periods of time.
But hand on heart- is a couple of seconds that important to you??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was specifically for the Sinn U1... a couple of people on this forum have stripped the threads on their crowns..

·
Registered
810 Posts
That was specifically for the Sinn U1... a couple of people on this forum have stripped the threads on their crowns..
can some one confirm that??? What, the steel is soft? Everybody were talking about that the U1 has a very hard submariner steel...

i mean, if this is true than Sinn has a big <|

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
+2s a day is excellent and I probably wouldn't bother with trying to regulate it by resting position, but it seems like you found a solution that works, so bravo.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I do not recall reading about wearing out the threads. Stripping thm due to crossthreading-yes, but not wearing them out by frequent use!
I think the seals would wear out first?

·
Registered
358 Posts
can some one confirm that??? What, the steel is soft? Everybody were talking about that the U1 has a very hard submariner steel...

i mean, if this is true than Sinn has a big <|
Never heard of this before.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I do not recall reading about wearing out the threads. Stripping thm due to crossthreading-yes, but not wearing them out by frequent use!
I think the seals would wear out first?
look, im thinking, if the steel is super soft, you wont cross the threads if you have patience, you must be gentle, even on Citizen or Rolex. So, U1, realy uses very hard steel, so crossing the threads had to be pretty hard.

@loiphin

Wearing out the thread would be possible if the crown on U1 wouldn't fit the cases threads. Cross threading is possible, but then its only your fault, not manufactures

·
Registered
63 Posts
Could you explain croosthreading in more detail for someone who doesnt know basics on how my U1 crown functions are built?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Could you explain croosthreading in more detail for someone who doesnt know basics on how my U1 crown functions are built?

Thanks
Crossthreading can occur with any screwdown crown, so its not just a U1 thing. Basically crossthreading is if you screw down the crown *and* the threads don't line up. This wears them out over time, and at some point it just won't screw down anymore, compromising water tightness.

It can happen with any screw down crown dive watch. Just screw down slowly without too much force and it will be fine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Crossthreading can occur with any screwdown crown, so its not just a U1 thing. Basically crossthreading is if you screw down the crown *and* the threads don't line up. This wears them out over time, and at some point it just won't screw down anymore, compromising water tightness.

It can happen with any screw down crown dive watch. Just screw down slowly without too much force and it will be fine.

I think other than watches, it happens with bolts and nuts in other real life applications too..

I once had an idiot of a mechanic try to bolt in my tyres when it was not properly placed with a pneumatic driver - totally crossthreaded receiving hole - had to rethread using some tool...

so no hard to imagine it on a tiny screwdown crown.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I am unsure if Sinn uses the Sub steel for the threaded tube or/and crown. If not, 316 is still darn hard!

A tip, to prevent x-threading, just press lightly on the crown while slowly turning it in the opposite direction. You will feel a distinct click when the thread ends engage or pass each other. Then you start screwing the correct way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts