WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
No, it’s not. It’s an extremely expensive but very nice sports watch. The categorisation of luxury doesn’t necessarily mean very expensive, it means the movement and the finishing of the whole watch is done according to the highest standards, e.g. Geneva Seal. The Rolex cal. 9001 is a very good and reliable movement with an annual calendar but nothing extraordinary.

The category of „luxury sports watches“ has been created by AP with the launch of the Royal Oak, followed by PP with the Nautilus and Vacheron Constantin with their model 222. Everything else (almost) is just a sports watch, regardless of the price of the watch.
Actually, around here that would be "high end".

"Luxury" on these forums more often seems to just mean a level up from pedestrian watches. "Luxury" could be anything from something like Longines, to Rolex.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Actually, around here that would be "high end".

"Luxury" on these forums more often seems to just mean a level up from pedestrian watches. "Luxury" could be anything from something like Longines, to Rolex.
I didn’t talk about just luxury, I talked about the category „luxury sports watches“. This is a category of its own (created and defined by the holy trinity) and no, neither Longines nor Rolex belongs to this category. High end as a category unfortunately isn’t a precise term and everyone has an individual definition, in most cases driven by the price of the watch.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
I didn’t talk about just luxury, I talked about the category „luxury sports watches“. This is a category of its own (created and defined by the holy trinity) and no, neither Longines nor Rolex belongs to this category. High end as a category unfortunately isn’t a precise term and everyone has an individual definition, in most cases driven by the price of the watch.
Well this is the "high-end" forum. And, IMO, that's a better defined term (on WUS at least) than "luxury" or "luxury sports watch". Yes, "high-end" still somewhat ill defined, but there are many threads on this forum providing some definition and context and debate, and mostly not centered purely around price.

I would find it odd if "luxury sports watch" was basically defined as being "a high-end watch" that's a sports watch. That just further confuses "high-end" and "luxury". Why not just follow the lead of this forum, and call them "high-end sports watches"?

·
Registered
445 Posts

I would find it odd if "luxury sports watch" was basically defined as being "a high-end watch" that's a sports watch. That just further confuses "high-end" and "luxury". Why not just follow the lead of this forum, and call them "high-end sports watches"?
Because the TO asked how it can be that the RO is a sports watch with only 50m water resistance. And the simple answer to this is that a RO isn’t a simple sports watch, it belongs to the category of „luxury sport watches“, created by this own brand (AP).

I don’t care about the naming, I just wanted to give the TO an historically correct answer to his question.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not all athletic activity involves swimming. Serena Williams, the tennis star, is known to wear a Royal Oak. She needs enough water resistance to wash the watch, or survive a rainstorm / ice bucket. She doesn't need to dive to the bottom of the ocean. So, it is perfectly suitable for sports. I personally agree that it is a sports watch - it is far more suitable for land-based sports than a gold watch on a leather strap.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
But 'luxury' is? You are making oddly bold assertions about what is and isn't a luxury watch (or luxury sports watch, whatever). Care to cite your source?
Possibly this:

https://monochrome-watches.com/buying-guide-5-most-iconic-luxury-sports-watches-you-can-buy-in-2018/

"While the concept behind a dive watch or a chronograph is pretty easy to understand, the luxury sports watch category needs to be explained. Certainly, there’s no official definition of what comprises a luxury sports watch but this is how we, at MONOCHROME, see it. A luxury sports watch is a high-end watch combining a refined, ultra-thin automatic movement with a sporty stainless steel, robust, water-resistant case incarnated by the Royal Oak watch created by Gérald Genta in 1972."

Of course, there are many lists that can be found that also include Omega, Rolex, Breitling, and other brands. And include divers or other robust watches. Like these:

https://www.elitetraveler.com/shopping-lifestyle/best-luxury-sports-watches
https://www.worth.com/6-luxury-sports-watches-that-can-take-a-licking/
https://www.chrono24.com/magazine/our-top-5-stainless-steel-luxury-sports-watches-p_58866/#gref

There are other sources that match up with the Monochrome article, but it is an ill-defined term. I'd prefer to just call them high-end sports watches, since "luxury watch" in general seems to be used for many, many brands and watches. I think making "luxury sports watch" a term, when high-end is in the definition, seems kind of silly - instead of just saying "high-end sports watch".

·
Registered
329 Posts
I’m wearing my SS Breguet Marine on the rubber strap. I think it’s considered a “luxury sports watch.” With 100 mtrs of wr, I’m very comfortable taking it into the pool, maybe tennis..not golf, skiing, fishing, bike riding, or even light hiking/rock climbing.

ii take the “sports watch” description to be more akin to a “sports jacket” title..a level of formality...not intended for actually playing sports.

i do wear my Rolex for all of the above sports, x rock climbing..and sometimes wear a beater when biking.

i think with “sport watches” thy are using the term to distinguish from “dress watches.”

I’m comfortable “banging around” my Rolex. I’m right handed and wear my watch on left hand, so the watch will take some shock when I hit a golf ball..not so with tennis. Rolex”seems” better suited for that than Breguet. I have no research or evidence to back this up..just feels that way

I’ll add that Breguet is considered “high end” and Rolex is not..so for actually playing sports, I really don’t like the idea of beating the crap out of My HE watches.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Possibly this:

https://monochrome-watches.com/buying-guide-5-most-iconic-luxury-sports-watches-you-can-buy-in-2018/

"While the concept behind a dive watch or a chronograph is pretty easy to understand, the luxury sports watch category needs to be explained. Certainly, there’s no official definition of what comprises a luxury sports watch but this is how we, at MONOCHROME, see it. A luxury sports watch is a high-end watch combining a refined, ultra-thin automatic movement with a sporty stainless steel, robust, water-resistant case incarnated by the Royal Oak watch created by Gérald Genta in 1972."

Of course, there are many lists that can be found that also include Omega, Rolex, Breitling, and other brands. And include divers or other robust watches. Like these:

https://www.elitetraveler.com/shopping-lifestyle/best-luxury-sports-watches
https://www.worth.com/6-luxury-sports-watches-that-can-take-a-licking/
https://www.chrono24.com/magazine/our-top-5-stainless-steel-luxury-sports-watches-p_58866/#gref

There are other sources that match up with the Monochrome article, but it is an ill-defined term. I'd prefer to just call them high-end sports watches, since "luxury watch" in general seems to be used for many, many brands and watches. I think making "luxury sports watch" a term, when high-end is in the definition, seems kind of silly - instead of just saying "high-end sports watch".
Thank you for calling me and the editors of monochrome watches silly.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Thank you for calling me and the editors of monochrome watches silly.
You're very welcome. :-d

And it's not you, or the editors, per se. But the term and definition, that's based on a (IMO) better term. There's a lot of silly in the watch world. Myself included.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well, I'm of the opinion that the word 'luxury' has a perfectly reasonable definition in the dictionary. I really don't need it to be redefined for me by a magazine or random folks on the internet.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Using the word "luxury" generically, as opposed to in line with the field it is being tied to (watches), leads to all watches over $20 to be defined as a luxury.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts