WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The time to sync depends on a lot of factors. On a clear night with ideal conditions, mine will sync in about 3 - 4 minutes (I'm on the east coast of the US, a long way away from the transmitter). When the weather is overcast, it typically takes 5 or 6 minutes (if at all). I don't think the particular watch has anything to do with the amount of time; instead I believe it is more related to atmospheric conditions and distance from the signal transmitter.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
Hi Migo,

I think the distance and geographic obstructions will effect the reception. I don't know where you live, but if you live not too far from Colorado you won't have problems. I know that the signal is received in NYC, although not always.

My Waveceptors most of the times pick up signal within 3 minutes. I live between the Rugby and Mainflingen transmitter in Europe. I guess about 300 - 400 km of each (radius of both is 1000km). The signal used to sinc is 1 minute long, so in theory a good reception can be preformed in just a little longer than 1 minute. Here a diagram of th NIST signal. I think the other signals are pretty much the same.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live on the west coast, and we have lots of rain here. So I guess I can expect a long time for the sync?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Migo, you live on the west coast of what? I live on the west coast of the USA (Seattle, Washington) and my Gs synch up fine as long as they have an unobstructed view of the sky facing west. Sometimes they even synch indoors without line-of-sight to the west.
I have not timed the synch process, but I would guess several minutes.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
actually it doesn't matter how long the sync process takes, because it is usually done to a time when you sleep (between 0:00 and 4:00 - at least over here in europe) my GW-810BXD sync every night exactly at 2:02, even when I wear the watch in bed. when I do the sync during the day manually (which is of course not necessary), it takes about 3-5 minutes depending in what kind of building I am.

regards, holger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts