WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the chinese mechanical watches forums or here but posting it here for greater visibility.

I am getting a very good deal on a watch with an st19 chinese mechanical movement. The watch itself is in excellent condition but this particular model was released in 2010 so I am assuming it is at least 5 years old. I have never had a hand wound mechanical chronograph before so was wondering how long do these chinese movements usually last without service/repairs? I am getting a pretty good deal so I am willing to take some risk but don't necessarily want to buy a watch whose movement would need replacement/service soon.

Would appreciate any comments from people who have used these movements about how long they last.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
I am getting a very good deal on a watch with an st19 chinese mechanical movement. The watch itself is in excellent condition but this particular model was released in 2010 so I am assuming it is at least 5 years old. I have never had a hand wound mechanical chronograph before so was wondering how long do these chinese movements usually last without service/repairs?
I had two chronos with ST19 -- one lasted less than a week, and the other maybe a few months. My advice: DON'T TOUCH the ST19!

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I had two chronos with ST19 -- one lasted less than a week, and the other maybe a few months. My advice: DON'T TOUCH the ST19!
Yes they self destroy after few hours, that's the reason why they are so popular on this board and have thread with hundreds of pages dedicated to those chronographs:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/1963-chinese-air-force-style-watches-thomas-others-821627.html

Seriously, I have two ST19 watches, one is a cheap Alpha Paul Newman and the other is a D304, the first is two years old and never created me problems, the second I bought this year, fit and finish are on pair with my old Heuer Carrera from the 90s.

001.jpg

Hello,

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the chinese mechanical watches forums or here but posting it here for greater visibility.

I am getting a very good deal on a watch with an st19 chinese mechanical movement. The watch itself is in excellent condition but this particular model was released in 2010 so I am assuming it is at least 5 years old. I have never had a hand wound mechanical chronograph before so was wondering how long do these chinese movements usually last without service/repairs? I am getting a pretty good deal so I am willing to take some risk but don't necessarily want to buy a watch whose movement would need replacement/service soon.

Would appreciate any comments from people who have used these movements about how long they last.

Thanks
It' s impossible to answer the question as a model in production since 2010 might be built three days ago, we also don't know the manufacturer and the model.

Generally speaking a reputable seller asks more than $200 for a new ST19, a used watch with unknown history is always a risk so if you want to be sure it's better to spend more and get a new one from somebody like HKED, Poljot24 or the official Seagull store.

I would avoid cheap knock-off manufacturers or watches that sell for too low.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t buy a watch with a Chinese movement in it unless you really don’t care about furability. There are many watches with inexpensive workhorse Seiko movements in them that will last darn near forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
..... perhaps rediscover why you want to wear a watch and then buy something else.

That and a used watch is always a danger... with you I also get the sense this is the only watch you'll wear so.... why take the risk?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t buy a watch with a Chinese movement in it unless you really don’t care about furability. There are many watches with inexpensive workhorse Seiko movements in them that will last darn near forever.
Not Seiko chronographs. Only the ones affordable are quartz. Seiko mechanical chronos are much more expensive.

The ST19 is a mechanical chronograph movement.

Sea-Gull ST1908 true moonphase chrono

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Not Seiko chronographs. Only the ones affordable are quartz. Seiko mechanical chronos are much more expensive.

The ST19 is a mechanical chronograph movement.

Sea-Gull ST1908 true moonphase chrono

Thank you for the information. "I" still wouldn't buy one. But, then again, I'm not a chrono guy. If I were, I would still take a Seiko quartz chrono, a Bulova quartz chrono, or an inexpensive Swiss quartz chrono over a Chinese automatic chrono any day of the week. Even if I don't pay a lot for a watch I want to know it's going to work well for a good period of time...years. I'm very open to Asian made product just not Chinese and I will pay more for that reassurance. On the other hand, maybe the OP will find one that will work to his satisfaction.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Thank you for the information. "I" still would buy one. But, then again, I'm not a chrono guy. If I were, I would still take a Seiko quartz chrono, a Bulova quartz chrono, or an inexpensive Swiss quartz chrono over a Chinese automatic chrono any day of the week. Even if I don't pay a lot for a watch I want to know it's going to work well for a good period of time...years. I'm very open to Asian made product just not Chinese and I will pay more for that reassurance. On the other hand, maybe the OP will find one that will work to his satisfaction.
I respect your opinion of chinese products, but have you checked out where your own phone was made?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
I'd stay away from that Chinese stuff. If you want a column wheel chrono, get a good one like the Venus 175 ;-)
For those who don't know, the Venus 175 is made in China. In fact the entire factory was moved from Switzerland to China in the 1960s and the Swiss Venus has been made in China ever since.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I'd stay away from that Chinese stuff. If you want a column wheel chrono, get a good one like the Venus 175 ;-)
Pretty sure you don't have any made in China product, especially phones and computers.

Also, I assume you don't buy any Casio made in China, that means 75% of their current prodution, neither Timex etc..

And a watch in DECENT conditions with a vintage Venus 175 cost thousands, and of course it will be less reliable than a new ST19 for the simple reason it will be at least 60 years old.

For those who don't know, the Venus 175 is made in China. In fact the entire factory was moved from Switzerland to China in the 1960s and the Swiss Venus has been made in China ever since.
You are correct sir, when Valjoux bought Venus in the early 60s they sold the movement to what would have become Seagull, later the Chinese improved the design adding an antishock system (as far as I remember the 175 like the 150 didn't have one) and increasing the number of jewels from 19 to 23, so the ST19 is a fully jeweled movement.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I respect your opinion of chinese products, but have you checked out where your own phone was made?
I don’t really have a choice there. I do with the watches I purchase.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Pretty sure you don't have any made in China product, especially phones and computers.

Also, I assume you don't buy any Casio made in China, that means 75% of their current prodution, neither Timex etc..

And a watch in DECENT conditions with a vintage Venus 175 cost thousands, and of course it will be less reliable than a new ST19 for the simple reason it will be at least 60 years old.

You are correct sir, when Valjoux bought Venus in the early 60s they sold the movement to what would have become Seagull, later the Chinese improved the design adding an antishock system (as far as I remember the 175 like the 150 didn't have one) and increasing the number of jewels from 19 to 23, so the ST19 is a fully jeweled movement.
Note to self...don’t ever buy a Venus watch.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My Timex is a firld watch that I paid $30 for and it’s purpose is to be a throw away watch if it gets destroyed. I couldn care less about a Chinese part. Why do you feel the need to tell me how to spend my money? I, unlike the OP, didn’t ask for your opinion.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
My Timex is a firld watch that I paid $30 for and it’s purpose is to be a throw away watch if it gets destroyed. I couldn care less about a Chinese part. Why do you feel the need to tell me how to spend my money? I, unlike the OP, didn’t ask for your opinion.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, actually I have few Chinese watches myself and I'm happy about them. You are the guy who stated Chinese watches are junk and you would never buy one, even if in reality you already have two.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'm not telling you how to spend your money, actually I have few Chinese watches myself and I'm happy about them. You are the guy who stated Chinese watches are junk and you would never buy one, even if in reality you already have two.
And you're the guy who said "I have two ST19 watches, one is a cheap Alpha Paul Newman" and "I would avoid cheap knock-off manufacturers" in the same post.

The answer to the OP is: Could be a day, could be many hundred or even thousand days. It really depends on the copy, the QC in that facility, and how hard you exercise it. That's the contract you enter into with an inexpensive Chinese mechanical chronograph movement. Is it worth a couple hundred bucks to you, or are those bucks better spent (or saved) elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
And you're the guy who said "I have two ST19 watches, one is a cheap Alpha Paul Newman" and "I would avoid cheap knock-off manufacturers" in the same post.

The answer to the OP is: Could be a day, could be many hundred or even thousand days. It really depends on the copy, the QC in that facility, and how hard you exercise it. That's the contract you enter into with an inexpensive Chinese mechanical chronograph movement. Is it worth a couple hundred bucks to you, or are those bucks better spent (or saved) elsewhere?

This

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to clarify I was assuming the watch is old because its a microbrand and the model has been out of production for some time. It seems people have had mixed experiences with these movements but if it has been running for a few years it probably isnt a lemon. The seller does have a 30 day return policy so I might just get this as even in the worst case scenario I should be able to sell it at at least half the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 61 Posts