WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or even not wear a watch until you sell? Unfortunately I wear my Garmin for work most of the week, I have 2 safe queens, and wear my Rolex to dinners, etc. At what point do the others go due to just sitting there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
What the sacred f**k of the virgin Mary is a "safe queen"?

·
Premium Member
63,176 Posts
I’ve only got one watch that could be described as a safe queen and since it’s enjoying retirement (like the owner) there is no chance if it getting sold.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have only had 1 "safe queen", a stainless Daytona I bought as an investment in 2010. Sold it last fall, so 9 years. Doubt I will ever have another "SQ", but I am looking for another Daytona ;-)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hmmm. Unless it is an investment - I would sell it immediately or wear it. These items can get expensive to not be worn.

I understand not wearing it to environments where you may damage the watch. outside of that wear it in great health!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hmmm. Unless it is an investment - I would sell it immediately or wear it. These items can get expensive to not be worn.

I understand not wearing it to environments where you may damage the watch. outside of that wear it in great health!
I'm not sure how it would be more expensive to not wear it vs wearing it.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Can't top dfwcowboy's answer. Much truth in that.

I don't have safe queens, but I have had on a few occasions watches that felt "too nice" for my uses, so I didn't wear them often enough and always ended up selling them. I look at it like this. Expensive watches, while not investments, can be a form of stored wealth. If you need the money then by all means sell them. If not, then it would be a matter of if you would rather spend those funds elsewhere. The argument could be made that with some models (certain Rolex for example) you would be best off actually putting them in a safe and letting them appreciate rather than selling, even if you no longer consider that watch part of your collection.

For me, it was always brought about by wanting a new watch (or whatever item from whichever of my hobbies that I am obsessing over at the time), and seeing that the funds I could get from the watch would better serve me in purchasing the new item.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't have safe queens, I have watches, and then I have investments in the form of ETFs and index funds. For the vast majority of us, watches should not be used as investment vehicles!

·
Registered
15,010 Posts
If I never wear it, it's as if I don't have it so I'd make that assumption a fact one way or the other pronto . . .

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't have any "safe queens", but I usually end up selling a watch when I need to free up a slot in my watch box. Then its a matter of choosing the odd man out and cutting the cord. Often it is a hard decision, but I try to concentrate on the new watch I want to fill up the slot, rather than the watch I am saying goodbye to.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
A couple of weeks. I'm a wearer not a collector and I get anxiety feeling that I am wasting money on a watch I don't wear often. The only watch that sits and is rarely worn is my Hamilton Jazzmaster. It was a gift from my wife and is my "dressy" watch, so its not going anywhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you're not wearing it it's because you're either tired of it or it never rung your bell to begin with, so the time to sell was when you thought about typing the post. Unless a watch is appreciating (which how many actually do), sell it, move on to something that moves your needle for at least a while.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't buy watches I don't plan to wear. For investments, I prefer to look outside of watches. Once I decide to sell one, I don't wear it anymore. Since they're not investments, I have to admit I am rather lazy about selling them. I have a list of 20 things I need to sell including watches, that I haven't gotten to.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
I can't bring myself to sell over 100 watches that I seldom wear.

I just love the way they look back at me from their display case.

Maybe I'm just different to most?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts