WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does each type of material watch bands lasts until you need replace it or repair it?

How much do you spend on straps, does brand of watch band is important for you?

Would you prefer strap that suits all your needs? How much would you pay for it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cheap OEM leather bands will typically last me a year to a year and one half when worn everyday. At that point the layers of leather have separated, the buckle has worn through, or the leather itself has become brittle and cracked. For a long while, I just replaced the strap each year with a OEM matching strap. Wanting something more durable, I looked into bespoke leather bands, especially those with the same leather backing as the top side. These bands are made of thicker leather, which I assume will last much longer. I also make sure that if the band gets wet from sweat or the like, it has a chance to fully dry out before using it again.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
The answer has a lot to do with not only the quality of strap that you have, but how you care for it. The post above is excellent. In hot weather I wear wither a bracelet or rubber. Sweat can make a quick wreck of even a good strap. Cheap leather straps can last as little as 2 or 3 months if you abuse them ... and of course that depends on your threshold for .... how ugly a strap needs to get before you deem it "no longer wearable". Using a buckle as opposed to a deployment can shorten the life of a strap. A nice croc, even if fragile, can last many years if cared for correctly. Stingray will last a lifetime.

As far as repair ... nah, not usually. Once a strap is trashed it usually needs to be replaced.

Any kind of hide needs to be cared for, at least to an extent ... so the question should be not "how long", but "under what circumstances" would I need to replace a strap frequently.

This is a pretty good tutorial on how to care for your strap with a buckle if you really don't like deployants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJvoyOvRDAw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts