WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a subjective question, but how long does the Seiko Black Monster stay bright if during the daytime the only light it is exposed to is from inside a home or office and 15-20 minutes of sunlight. If the watch is then worn outside at night where the only lighting will be from an occasional passing car and streetlights, which are spaced every 30-40 yards, how easy will the watch be to see?

In one of my other posts, someone had posted pictures of the Black monster which were taken over a period of 3 hours. I was shocked to see that after 3 hours, the watch's lume had no glow at all. A few other posters thought that this result was an aberration and that the watch would stay visible all night.

I realize that there are lot of variables here and that there is no one "right" answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
All superluminova/lumibrite type lume glows brightly then slowly fades to a steady glow. Cameras do not capture this well, since our eyes tend to be dark adapted in the wee hours of the night when we check the time. Even with room lighting, it should be easily readable. If you expect it to be nuclear blazing all the time, well no lume is like that, and you are better off getting a quartz watch with an EL backlight.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
"room light" is extremely vague. If you sit it under a table lamp it will be blazing for several hours. 8' from a 12 watt cfl bulb is another story.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Your basic room lighting should give you a decent glow through the night, but if you're talking about wearing out at bars and stuff, you're not going to be able to see it well after very long. The ambient lighting is going to kill your nightvision, and you won't be able to see it, even if it is glowing. If you absolutely need constant, 24hr lume, get tritium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts