WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Question. I recently purchased a solar g-shock that was completely dead, I've been constantly charging it under a desk lamp for the past couple days, and putting it in sunlight here and there, when I can. I know the sunlight will charge it up faster (it's currently on a medium charge and proabably will be for a while) My question is, when I have outside in the sun, sitting charging, on the window sill of an open window, the watch gets substantially hotter than if I having charging under a lamp. How long of a period of time can I have the watch outide or on the window sill, before it's too long, and I can do damage to the watch?? (keep in mind it's about 80degrees/very sunny where I am) I've heard about people frying their watches because they left them out in the sun too long, and I want to avoid that obviously.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
There are a few threads around here where people describe how they put their solar G's in a container of water, then put THAT in the sun.

I use a clear glass jar that holds about a quart and it works pretty well. Sure, the water gets WARM sitting in the sun, but even when it was summer with highs of 95F, the water never got to be uncomfortably hot when I'd put my hand in it to fish the watches out.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Willy, i suggest you just mail it to me for a couple of days to wear (Hawaii has extreme levels of UV on it's mellower days) so i can send it back to you "topped up" and maybe faster overall than at your place?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willy, i suggest you just mail it to me for a couple of days to wear (Hawaii has extreme levels of UV on it's mellower days) so i can send it back to you "topped up" and maybe faster overall than at your place?
Haha...It's all packed up for you!...lol..

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I wouldn't let the display black out from the heat, but as long as you got something blocking the UV radiation (like the glass from the window) it wouldn't be a problem. But if you want to be more cautious then necessary, put the watch in water.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've a couple of questions: the solar function is charged by UV rays? Isn't that damaging to the resin at the same time?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I've a couple of questions: the solar function is charged by UV rays? Isn't that damaging to the resin at the same time?
The solar function is charged by LIGHT.

Yes, UV waves are slightly "damaging to the resin at the same time." So are oxygen, sweat, body oils, everyday household chemicals, and actually wearing the watch might result in scrapes, dings and dents.

They're G Shocks. I wear mine. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi Mike K, I wear my G-shocks too :) (Ok, except the oldies collection - those I like too much to risk them).

I asked about UV because I recall reading here in the forum that the solar cells are charged by the UV spectrum of light. I'll guess I'll have to read up on this a bit more.

About the resin, I was just wondering about the logic to specifically put the watch out to sun presumably for charging efficiency vs resin degradation. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, probably too trivial. Sadly, it's an obsession for me now, rather than an hobby - I hope this phase will pass soon :D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I've a couple of questions: the solar function is charged by UV rays?
The solar function is charged by LIGHT.
Actually the photoelectric effect is frequency-dependent; it's the light at the UV end of the spectrum which does the work. Other frequencies of light contribute virtually nothing to the charging of your watch. That's why windows which are designed to block UV are particularly troublesome for solar Gs. They charge MUCH faster when worn on the wrist outside. I've made this point in a few threads, but it seems to need making here once again.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Yes, UV waves are slightly "damaging to the resin at the same time."
Not exactly. Of all the things you cited, UV radiation does the most harm. It's not that a G can't stand it, but why accelerate the natural decaying of a product? Just like DEET; if I can avoid it, why would I get my watch stained for nothing?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Not exactly. Of all the things you cited, UV radiation does the most harm. It's not that a G can't stand it, but why accelerate the natural decaying of a product? Just like DEET; if I can avoid it, why would I get my watch stained for nothing?
These watches are designed to be worn day after day, week after week. Remember, the average buyer/user is not a crazy, WIS like us! He or she buys a watch or two and USES it regularly. Some of those folks are outside all day long.

All of this, doubtless, contributes to the aging of the resin. But a very occasional sun bath for watches that otherwise live inside does not strike me as much of a problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
These watches are designed to be worn day after day, week after week. Remember, the average buyer/user is not a crazy, WIS like us! He or she buys a watch or two and USES it regularly. Some of those folks are outside all day long.

All of this, doubtless, contributes to the aging of the resin. But a very occasional sun bath for watches that otherwise live inside does not strike me as much of a problem.
I completely agree with you.
G is bought to be worn every day, on the street, the beach, the desert, in oil, sun, salty and fresh water, etc.

even if it is damaged, it's biggest advantage is the price.
You did not pay it thousands of dollars as some other overpriced models.

one more thing to add:
Sometimes it is better to live in ignorance.
Until I knew some things from the forum, I was regularly mistreating my old Swatch irony, and nothing was wrong with it. (running, swimming in fresh and salt water, exposure to soap, etc.)

therefore, enjoy life and do not think a lot! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts