WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of nice watches that I have not worn in a loooooong time. Great watches , still mostly new. But--for several reason I am not wearing them. I gave 4 to family members and the two younger guys have likely never worn them unless they think I might be visiting.

I have about 4 more that get (virtually) no wrist time.

Sell ??

Trade??

Hold for a change in styles??

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have a couple of nice watches that I have not worn in a loooooong time. Great watches , still mostly new. But--for several reason I am not wearing them. I gave 4 to family members and the two younger guys have likely never worn them unless they think I might be visiting.

I have about 4 more that get (virtually) no wrist time.

Sell ??

Trade??

Hold for a change in styles??
In the past I've traded some pieces that weren't getting worn. At this point, there are only a few that get worn very infrequently, and they tend to fall into one of two categories: (1) I don't wear them often but they're not high end, and I enjoy when I do wear them, so I keep them; and (2) I don't wear them much but they're not high end, and wouldn't fetch much in trade.

I can't be bothered with the risks and hassles of selling on line, so I've never sold a watch to a third person. I'd do it if it were someone I knew and trusted, but not otherwise. Thankfully none of my high end pieces are in the "I don't wear them and shouldn't keep them" category.

If you have some that you'd like to donate to someone who would promise to wear them, just let me know. ;-)

·
Registered
14,875 Posts
Given your explanation/circumstance, I'd definitely look to buy/trade for something(s) that would get regularly worn or at least satisfied you so as to keep around for the long haul. For me, in the past when a watch was not worn regularly (at least once a week) or I fell out of love with it's aesthetic, it was moved out. I seem to have found the ones that I do want to keep at this point though since I wear most of them on a regular basis and/or I love the aesthetic and would never part with them . . .

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
If you are not wearing any or all of them for at least one month, you may as well sell them and have the money in your Bank Account, and purchase a Watch that you will wear regularly. If not, keep the money from the sale of the Watch(es)!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Why would you think it is necessary to sell a watch if not worn for a extended period of time..? I myself and just content owning them and when I feel like strapping one then I do...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Think about the reasons why you bought them in the first place. Unless they are an investment (and we all know that with watches it's always a tricky proposition) I would just sell them or trade them in for your grail

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Why would you think it is necessary to sell a watch if not worn for a extended period of time..? I myself and just content owning them and when I feel like strapping one then I do...
Isn't this what retail watch stores are for? Ownership unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Why are they not worn? Do you no longer like them? Are you afraid of banging them up? Do you enjoy looking at them even if they are not being worn?

Answer all those questions and you should get an idea if you should sell or not. At least those questions do it for me.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
With respect, I think this is what separates you from virtually everyone else on this forum--we all buy watches to wear, not to simply admire once in a while. It's what distinguishes them from paintings or sculpture--also art, but with the sole purpose of being experienced.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
This is totally subjective as it will likely depend on the behaviour of various owners. Personally it takes me about a year of failing my “reach test” before I decide to sell. This means I infrequently or never reach for the watch to put it on in the morning. Occasionally I might sell one quickly in order to fund a new acquisition (ah the pain of not having unlimited funds). I only like to keep watches that I wear in my rotation. I have some safe queens, but they’re pocket watches related to the family.

As for the method, I sell on eBay staring at 99 cents on the ten day auction option. I believe this method best reflects the true market value and is most expedient. eBay has screwed me only once, keeping its commission on a sale with a deadbeat buyer that never happened, but that was only once and with a low value Apple Watch.

The more important question is, what specific models are you referring to and how much do you want for them?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a PAM 171 Ti , power reserve indicator on the front. I love that complication but after a while I got tired of the watch....too big, too heavy. A Ball , and an Omega SeaM Pro. I find I wear about 3 watches all the time....VC, AP , FPJ.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If they aren't getting wrist time, and you don't have the spontaneous need to wear them, it probably makes sense to sell/trade them. I'm finally getting to a point of realization where watches I haven't rotated onto my wrist in a month or two are finally being let go... to make room for bigger and better watches...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have been having this same conversation in my head of late. I currently have 11 watches in the collection: APRO 15400, Bremont Terra Nova, Bremont S301, Botta Design Uno, Nomos Lambda, Nomos Club, Omega Tresor, Rolex BLNR, Rolex ND SubC 114060, Rolex Explorer 39mm, and a Swatch Sistem 51. 95% of the time I wear the AP, BLNR or Sub. I could probably be very happy with those 3, plus either the Terra Nova or Club for “rougher” wear. Yet there is some strange inertia that prevents me from taking steps to sell the others. Glad to see I’m not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm a gshock collector and I don't wear a large percentage of my watches. They're eye candy and like keeping them in new condition.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I’m guilty of having two of the same watch, only for the dial color variation. I rarely wear my first gen Seiko OM but I’ll never sell it. The BM however really never gets worn as I reach for others first, so I’m thinking about selling that one. I don’t see the point of owning something you rarely use. I’m even thinking of selling my second vehicle for the same reason. Let’s stuff = simpler life = happier life IMO.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Personally, if I don't wear a watch for more than 2 months then I'll consider selling it. Currently, I only have one watch. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am in a similar situation except I went absolutely nuts with watch purchases a while ago - from high end to micros and everything in between. Now I find myself thinking about whittling down the collection because I actually feel bad for the watches sitting there.

Let me explain, at first the thought was to build a wall of watches and every day select the one I fancied to wear based on the mood. The reality became that I kept the same 5-10 watches in rotation and none of the others. Now, imagining I keep all these watches for 10, 15 years+, what about things like servicing? What about damage from lack of use (oils pooling and drying up) etc? It's worse for the watch to have it sitting there gathering dust than to use it occasionally. So I feel bad for them, a bit like classic cars sitting in a barn rotting away for decades..

I like knowing I own them and seeing them, but also like knowing that they are well maintained and taken care of.. if that makes sense?

To answer the OP's question, one year. Although honestly, if a week after I acquired a watch I didn't wear it, I probably never will really.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts