WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought an OM and it was acceptably accurate (+7s/day) for the first 2 days I wore it. I didn't wear it for a couple days as I had to test another watch just back from service, and since I've put it on again it is running unacceptably slow (-45s/day). Hasn't been dropped, and has been running this way for the past 5 days.

How long do I have to run this thing in, before I get it regulated? I've got a few other watches in from service or new to me that I need to wear to check out and I'm getting tired of wearing this watch.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Many of the threads on this subject have suggested about a 3 month break in period but there was some good debate on that.

If you are wearing it regularly I would give it at least 4-6 weeks before I would have it regulated.

These can be fairly accurate movements but consistency is not their strong point. If you take it off at night you might be surprised by how different it will run depending on whether you leave it dial down, caseback down, on its side etc.

I have an Alpha that can be pretty accurate but in one position it will gain a ton over night.

My better watches (e.g. Marine Master, King Seiko) are much more consistent and tend to have similar accuracy results irrespective of position.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
So I bought an OM and it was acceptably accurate (+7s/day) for the first 2 days I wore it. I didn't wear it for a couple days as I had to test another watch just back from service, and since I've put it on again it is running unacceptably slow (-45s/day). Hasn't been dropped, and has been running this way for the past 5 days.

How long do I have to run this thing in, before I get it regulated? I've got a few other watches in from service or new to me that I need to wear to check out and I'm getting tired of wearing this watch.
First thing to do is make sure it is fully wound. Don't rely on wrist action to get it up to a full charge. Swing it back and forth as suggested in the owners manual for a solid 5 minutes. This will guarantee a full wind.

Then wear the watch at least 12 hours a day. If it's still losing 45 seconds per day(which is way out if spec) then it needs to be looked at or sent back for repair or replacement.

As for the break in period; that will be different on each watch and with each owner. Depending on wearing habits, it can be as short as a couple of weeks or as long as a couple of months.

·
Registered
946 Posts
personally, i have never found any watch to vary much over time. i don't really believe in a break-in period. i think most watches will perform exactly the same the first day as they will a year later. in 5 or 10 years that may change because of wear and tear. but i don't believe there really is a break-in period. modern lubricants stay put so i don't think you will see much difference over time. what you WILL see is a difference based upon the state of wind and the position. but this has nothing to do with break-in.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
personally, i have never found any watch to vary much over time. i don't really believe in a break-in period. i think most watches will perform exactly the same the first day as they will a year later. in 5 or 10 years that may change because of wear and tear. but i don't believe there really is a break-in period. modern lubricants stay put so i don't think you will see much difference over time. what you WILL see is a difference based upon the state of wind and the position. but this has nothing to do with break-in.
Your experience and beliefs aside, there is enough anecdotal evidence to support the fact that there is break in period that it is in deed a real event. :roll:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Your experience and beliefs aside, there is enough anecdotal evidence to support the fact that there is break in period that it is in deed a real event. :roll:
i've actually seen plenty of anecdotal evidence to support either side of the argument. ultimately i side with the no-break-in folks. that's after having owned dozens of mechanical watches, including several monsters, and being a stickler when it comes to accuracy and very carefully observing their behavior. that having been said, my experience is indeed just my experience which is why i said as much. though i still would like to point out the proven stability of modern lubricants which would suggest that there really should be little variability, even if a watch has been sitting on a shelf for years or sitting on a wrist for weeks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
How long???
I'm a newbie but with my two past experiences of 7s26b's, from a 007 and OM...my 007 settled in at 4weeks @ a final +16 to +18secs/day. With the OM, it settled in at -4 to +0secs/day since the 14th day.

Ray, i dunno if it'll help with a -45sec/day problem...but when I owned the 007, it started out +9secs/day for some time then I took it off for 3days on a watch rotation and when I wore it again it went to +25 to +28secs/day for about a week. It being my 1st auto, I was pissed, hoping that it would stick to +9secs and drop a little more on a longer break in. So what I did was after that 1 week of +25 to +28(within specs but dismal to me since it initially gave me +9secs/day each day for a week)...I let it wind down for 3 days and started another break in period. Well it somewhat worked and got me to +15 to +19secs/day.
Did this for a good 6months or so...letting it wind down every month or so and just got tired that it broke in constantly @ +16 to +18secs/day regardless of rest position and worn 12-16hrs/day. Never did it give me that initial sweet taste of +9secs/day. Finally in the end, I just wore the darn thing on a 3days on/3days off basis. :-( Then gifted it to a 23yr old brother-in-law during a vacation and saw his face light up as if he just saw the holy grail or something. It was like MasterCard but this time it was priceless + interest .

That 007 watch rotation was a lesson to me. Now, with the OM, I wear this beast everyday since I've had it(34days). What started out as +4secs/day gradually decreased to -4secs in 14days. And now I'm just trying to fiddle with wrist time and resting postions to get a -1 to +1secs/day worked out because my particular 7s26b inside this particular OM seems to lose time on the wrist but gains time rested. Rested dial up gave me +4secs/day for the first couple of weeks, crown up gave me -2secs/day....I'm in the 5th week right now(34days) and have found a sweet spot @ 10hrs wrist time/14hrs rested crown up has me in a -1 to +0 range for the past 2 days. So unless this watch will go to constantly reaching -10 or +10secs/day, this watch is the ONLY watch in rotation. The other 16hrs is usually at home or a late night out with the g-shock 5600 or casio F91. At the very least I have the F91 on the dresser next to me when I sleep because the EL in the 5600 is not "sleepy eyes" friendly. And forget putting the OM on the dresser because I don't want this to fall off and mess with the accuracy I'm having. |>|>

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input foks.

I've been thinking about it and am now thinking I've asked the wrong question.

The question should probably be how consistent does time keeping have to be for the watch to be considered broken in?

I'd also be interested in hearing more about the point brought up by Tirat about accuracy changing after the watch is allowed to totally unwind.

My OM is intended to be the 7th watch in a daily wear pool on top of the 50+ non-daily watches in my collection, and I expect that this watch will be worn typically 2-4 days at a time and then allowed to totally unwind. If the accuracy of the watch changes everytime it unwinds, I'll get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

The question should probably be how consistent does time keeping have to be for the watch to be considered broken in?

I'd also be interested in hearing more about the point brought up by Tirat about accuracy changing after the watch is allowed to totally unwind.

My OM is intended to be the 7th watch in a daily wear pool on top of the 50+ non-daily watches in my collection, and I expect that this watch will be worn typically 2-4 days at a time and then allowed to totally unwind. If the accuracy of the watch changes everytime it unwinds, I'll get rid of it.
On my higher end watches (Marine Master, Doxa 5000T, King Seiko) they behave fairly consistently from a low power reserve up to full power. On the more entry level autos though (such as 7S series) I find them much more accurate and stable when they are kept pretty wound up. I have a SKXA35 that I take camping every year and if I wear it for a good 3-4 days before the trip and synch it to the atomic clock before I go it will keep good time for that week. If I leave it off for a couple days and wear it again though it becomes all over the place again in stability and consistency.

My worst offender for this right now is my Alpha Panny homage. If I wear it regularly it stays pretty good. If I leave it alone and wear it from low power it can literally gain a minute or two per day and then settles into about +20 secs per day. Even if I regulated it and got it down to +8-+12 secs per day it would still be very inconsistent on low power.

Just one of those things.

My experience (you don't want to know how many autos I have) has shown that there is some kind of break in period with watches.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
Are all Seiko 7S movements this bizarre?

My Orients are stable at all power levels. I have noticed my Alpha (SeaGull) drifts more in the box than on the wrist, but it is still within spec.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts

With that kind of rotation, you should only have quartz watches in your collection or top tier mechanicals...you are going to be disappointed with Seiko's entry level movements :-(

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Are all Seiko 7S movements this bizarre?

My Orients are stable at all power levels. I have noticed my Alpha (SeaGull) drifts more in the box than on the wrist, but it is still within spec.
Obviously not since we have reports of COSC like performance :-d

Considering the design and manufacturing requirements that the 7s26 movement has to meet; it is unlikely that the majority are that consistent or
stable when worn infrequently or allowed to completely wind down.

The biggest problem is that people don't wind the movements up enough when they have run down...a couple of swirls then strapping it on is, in most cases not sufficient to get the watch to a decent enough wind for consistent and repeatable performance.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The biggest problem is that people don't wind the movements up enough when they have run down...a couple of swirls then strapping it on is, in most cases not sufficient to get the watch to a decent enough wind for consistent and repeatable performance.
You may be right. However, my experience is that the 7S26 is pretty consistent throughout the power curve. I agree that continuous daily wear is probably best, but these movements are designed to be self-winding and are pretty efficient at doing so.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
You may be right. However, my experience is that the 7S26 is pretty consistent throughout the power curve. I agree that continuous daily wear is probably best, but these movements are designed to be self-winding and are pretty efficient at doing so.
I agree, some people are making it seem like unless the 7s26 is fully wound, it is really inaccurate. It may be a bit less accurate than if it were fully wound but not so much that it would be the difference between gaining minutes per day and gaining seconds per day (if that makes sense) IMO.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
That is true. If it had been the Miyota 8205/8215/6T51 in question (which only wind with counterclockwise winding), then I'd agree with the fully wound point. Since the 7S26 winds bi-directionally, it should not take that long to get it fully wound. For me, and since much of our answers usually come from our personal experiences with the movement, I can say that I give it 30 (or less) arc-like swings, and wear the watch for a full 12-hour day. And as my own personal rule of thumb, especially when the watch is new, I wear it for 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, rest it in the crown up position, and for 3 months. Then I switch to another watch. That's just me, and it works for me.

Angelis:-!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
my miyota 9015 first 2-3 weeks was 5+ a day

now its less then 1 a day. took 2 weeks to break in i guess.

similar things happened as well with all my other watches.

Also the major thing that proves your beliefs wrong is a 500 year old watch will not keep the same time it did day 1. The Charge and force it can hold is lower as well. if it can hold an amplitude of 250 its impressive for a 40 year old watch lets say.

·
Registered
Mostly Seiko
2,719 Posts
I find it strange that most, if not all, of those who report a change (break in) it always becomes more accurate.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
First thing to do is make sure it is fully wound. Don't rely on wrist action to get it up to a full charge. Swing it back and forth as suggested in the owners manual for a solid 5 minutes. This will guarantee a full wind.

Then wear the watch at least 12 hours a day. If it's still losing 45 seconds per day(which is way out if spec) then it needs to be looked at or sent back for repair or replacement.

As for the break in period; that will be different on each watch and with each owner. Depending on wearing habits, it can be as short as a couple of weeks or as long as a couple of months.
Swing it around for 5 minutes, who has ever bothered doing that? I would get rather bored.

It is cheap (although it it one of my favorite) watch, just wear it for a while and after a few weeks if it is still well out have it adjusted. Or, and this is radical....don't worry about it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I believe the entire "break-in" thing of these SEIKO movements are utterly nonsense. It could only show how unstable the movements really are.

My theory:
Most, if not all, of these movements have a tendency to run slower and slower overtime. If you started with a new gaining movement then overtime it becomes more and more accurate -- because it's running slower. But if you started with a new spot-on or losing movement, then overtime it becomes less and less accurate.
And probably new gaining/losing movements are roughly half-half so half of owners are saying "yay my watch is breaking in" and the other half are complaining.

My 7S26 was +5SPD when new. After a year it's now largely spot-on. Is it broken in? Don't think so. Next year it may be -10SPD already. Let's see.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.