WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or do most of these seem like pie in the sky dreamers who want to know what watch they should buy if they one day saved the money for it or happened to hit a small lottery jackpot? I don't know anyone with around $5k to spend on a watch who isn't going to A: be into watches and do the research himself, or B: walk into a jewelry store and buy a watch he likes from a brand that he recognizes (and that others will be sure to recognize too).

I typically don't open the threads anymore unless I'm fooled by the title- which I was just a moment ago by the filthy rich teen brothers. I'm surprised that it took so long for me to come across a high budget first watch thread with members calling BS- my BS meter tends to go off for a lot of them.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
It's harmless fun... and besides, it's better than a "Rank These Watch Brands" thread.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Apparantly we needed at least 1 more, with the opening of this one.

And, to answer your question, get a Speedmaster.

No, I didn't read your whole post, I don't need to - the Speedy is within your budget, and gives the wearer magical powers.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
No skin off my nose. I think it's kind of funny that people seem to get annoyed by repetitive threads. Most of them have enough differences that replies to other threads wouldn't be very helpful. What I find really amusing is responses that don't answer the question.
Example:
Q: I've narrowed my choice between a blue Omega, a blue Rolex, or a blue Breitling. Which is more reliable and which will hold their value best?
A: Get a silver G.o_Or a black Blancpain.
Q: My budget is $500 to $750, please recommend a dress watch.
A: Keep saving until you have enough for an Omega AquaTerra.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It's harmless fun... and besides, it's better than a "Rank These Watch Brands" thread.

Totally agree. Now, if we compared watch brands to car brands, we could do the same thing but disguise it as something way different and fresh. I'll start:

Rolex = Mohs
Omega = Merkur
Panerai = Manic GT
Breitling = Powell
Bremont = Gordon-Keeble
Seiko = ASC
Invicta - Gurgel

Looks like I got everything covered! Game over.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
This is the Public Forum. We get lots of new Members here. They don't read or search. The threads tend to repeat. If you are kind enough to answer, well and good. If not, ignore them. There are other forums on the site which go into more detail and aren't as repetitive. Use them. That is all. Over and out.

Reactions: Watermark

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Isn't that what this place is about, watch info? Does everybody have to "do their research" or "search" before every question? Is it possible new perspective will be added? If you don't want to participate ignore or find another hobby.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
I don't care enough to lie on the internet, and I certainly don't care enough to consider whether others are lying--up until the point it affects me. Plus, as Gorf said, I enjoy the challenge of finding a watch that fits the criteria. I personally enjoy the smaller budget ones best.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Isn't that what this place is about, watch info? Does everybody have to "do their research" or "search" before every question? Is it possible new perspective will be added? If you don't want to participate ignore or find another hobby.
+1

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,343 Posts
Is it just me, or do most of these seem like pie in the sky dreamers who want to know what watch they should buy if they one day saved the money for it or happened to hit a small lottery jackpot? I don't know anyone with around $5k to spend on a watch who isn't going to A: be into watches and do the research himself, or B: walk into a jewelry store and buy a watch he likes from a brand that he recognizes (and that others will be sure to recognize too).

I typically don't open the threads anymore unless I'm fooled by the title- which I was just a moment ago by the filthy rich teen brothers. I'm surprised that it took so long for me to come across a high budget first watch thread with members calling BS- my BS meter tends to go off for a lot of them.
Wow... Don't take questions like that so seriously and try to infer so many unscrupulous motives. If you don't like the the idea of someone asking for watch suggestions on a watch collecting forum just pass the thread.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Take these threads with a pinch of salt, treat it like a hunting game.
It can be fun searching for a watch with a set of criteria when you're bored.
Who knows, you might even end up trampling onto something you'll fancy yourself!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
My favorite parts about this forum are learning and helping, so I find them very enjoyable and helpful.

·
Premium Member
63,255 Posts
I'm relatively new here as can be seen by my join date and thread count but I have noticed a fair number of "what can I get for $x posts" and can imagine how it must get a little repetitive for some of the members who have been on this forum longer. HOWEVER I have learned a great deal from reading the replies to these posts.
I must admit, though, that I have never been in the position of having to ask what to spend $10k on, more like "I fancy a Planet Ocean LM where can I get the money from?"

·
Registered
168 Posts
Part of the point of this forum is to help people understand watches and become more knowledgable/educated consumers. A lot of people come here to learn, and good number of the members seem to like coming here to teach. Without places like this, a lot more people would be buying Invictas, and believing they're getting amazing deals. And, to be completely honest, there isn't *that* much to say about watches, so of course things will get a little repetitive, especially in the main forum. That said, I do think a good percentage of these posts are a form of trolling, or maybe just fantasy. Most people Ive come across with $10k to burn on a timepiece know what they want without needing affirmation from the WIS community.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
No skin off my nose. I think it's kind of funny that people seem to get annoyed by repetitive threads. Most of them have enough differences that replies to other threads wouldn't be very helpful. What I find really amusing is responses that don't answer the question.
Example:
Q: I've narrowed my choice between a blue Omega, a blue Rolex, or a blue Breitling. Which is more reliable and which will hold their value best?
A: Get a silver G.o_Or a black Blancpain.
Q: My budget is $500 to $750, please recommend a dress watch.
A: Keep saving until you have enough for an Omega AquaTerra.

Idiotic and insulting reply that happens way too often.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
. That said, I do think a good percentage of these posts are a form of trolling, or maybe just fantasy. Most people Ive come across with $10k to burn on a timepiece know what they want without needing affirmation from the WIS community.
That's about it.

How many people with $5K to $15K available to spend would genuinely follow a vote taken by anonymous people on the internet?

If I see a post like this from a newish member I just close the thread. It is almost certainly fantasy or trolling.

If a long standing member asks I might offer an opinion but how often does this happen? If a new member was asking about nice watches at under 1K then again I might comment.

Mitch

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Perhaps they are messing around but lets just suppose that there are a few people in the world with 5k to burn on a watch and want advice (not beyond the realms on possibility)...they'd probably ask here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts