WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the topic suggests. I want to have some flashes of color in my collection, but I as fine tune it (collection), I'm consistantly drawn to black dials for their flexibility. Let's say for argument sake you have 5 watches: how many can/should be black, and how many can/should be some other color? :-s Inquiring dudes wanna know!!!

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I love black, white and all the colors in between... my collection is roughly 50% black/dark dials and 50% white or other colors.
Blue is also a good compromise for a touch of color but still easy to read and quite flexible.

·
Moderator DWF & Sales Corner
5,180 Posts
I am struggling with this currently. I have 1 white faced casio and an orange monster the rest are black. I almost pull the trigger on a scuba dude and then I think i want a blue faced Deep Blue pro aqua...than i want a Margrette Chrono PVD.....than I want a Laco...you get the point. I need to stop going back and forth all the time and make a decision but I keep thinking if I buy one that magically one of the other ones will pop up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's all a matter of taste, but since I have a very small collection I need it to be as flexible as possible so all of them have black faces.

Even if my collection grows, I don't see the face color changing much. I owned a white faced watch for a while, but didnt like it because of lack of contrast which made it hard to read. I'm not a fan of orange anything, so I don't see that in my future and since I like my watches to be subtle and inconspicuous, I don't see anything bright blue like a Mako in my future either. About the only colored watch I can see myself getting would be a Seiko 009.

·
Registered
825 Posts
100% is too much in my opinion. Anything less is acceptable.

Now if we are getting nit-picky, 100% Black and White is too much as well. Need at least one with color that pops. IMO.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Whatever looks good on your wrist, waterdude!
If that gives you a box of black watches, no worries, there isn't a rule that says it has to look like a rainbow :)

The watch box is the wardrobe/ closet of the WIS. I bet yours has several repeated colours/styles of shirts and trousers that you know look good on you. Not like a menswear store with every style available.

Fwiw, the slimmed down micro-collection I'm thinking about for me would be 5 watches, three with black faces

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
See my sig, you can never have enough of black dials... But I added orange and blue recently to overcome my own 'dullness'... Still, another black watch is being 'made' for me;)

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I currently have 9 watches in my box and 4 of them I would consider black. One has a coke bezel that adds color and one has orange hands that add a little color.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Half of the set black at least, half others, mostly white or grey, with one blue face. This works for me.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Just like the topic suggests. I want to have some flashes of color in my collection, but I as fine tune it (collection), I'm consistantly drawn to black dials for their flexibility. Let's say for argument sake you have 5 watches: how many can/should be black, and how many can/should be some other color? :-s Inquiring dudes wanna know!!!
Going back to the original hypothetical, out of a 5 watch collection, I say 3 black dials. I'd have at least one white/silver/cream face with blued hands (because I'm a sucker for that combo), and one watch with an interesting color like blue or green. That's about 60% black. After a quick count of my current 20 watch collection, I have 3 white dials and 3 "other colored" dials. The rest is black for a black percentage of 70%. Not bad at following my own advice (for a change).

·
Banned
3,937 Posts
The majority of my watches are black dialed, with a few colored ones. Some are black dial with colored numerals etc. The way I try to spice it up and add color is through NATO's.

Sent while doing a burnout.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
As a fan of primarily pilot / tool watches, black dials used to be my favorite, but my taste changed over the years. I actually prefer white or cream dials now. :think:

Black dials used to outnumber non-black in my collection by three or four to one. Then, a few years ago, I decided my collection had too many black dials, and started to change that. I sold off some pieces I thought were too similar to others in the box.

I looked back at the last 12 watches I've sold off, and 10 of those were black dials. I've added a lot more silver / grey / cream / white dials than black since. So now my collection is about 35% black, 35% white, 15% Cream and 15% grey/silver - with a red one on the way. b-)

It took years, but I'm starting to warm up to colors other than the usual black / white / silver / cream. I'm currently tossing around the idea of a yellow diver, which is totally loco for me.

Reactions: CCCP

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
While variety is the spice of life, the correct answer is none. None many black dials is too many.

Reactions: docvail and CCJ

·
Vendor
28,419 Posts
Well this is interesting, for a while there I thought I was the odd-ball for preferring an all-black-dial collection...

Then I got my Kadloo, so my current ratio is 2 to 1 (2 blacks, 1 white or other-than-black). I love my Kadloo, but if I hadn't gotten it my fallback would have probably been something with a black dial and orange bezel, like the Chris Ward Trident.

I think 100% black-dials is okay, so long as you don't get bored. And I think you avoid that by mixing it up with the style of watches you have, as well as the straps, and the other colors on the watch.

Bluloo's math is correct, though. None many is too many.

Nevermore.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I used to have a bunch of black faced quartz watches, but ever since I downsized my collection I don't have any, which is definitely a first! I have a dark-grey faced Tiger, a white Kenneth Cole and a beautiful blue-gray Burberry watch. Fortunately this is being remedied presently, as I have an 8926 being shipped.

Regarding the original question, I'd say 3 out of 5 black faced watches would be my preference; one pilot, one diver and one dressy watch. I'd choose the other two to be dark blue and white.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts