WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I've always thought that it needs to be two or three, but I didn't think it needed to be large number.

I just checked two dictionaries, and both define "collection" as "a group of objects to be exhibited, compared, and studied," and those same dictionaries define "group" as "two or more." [1] [2]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've always thought that it needs to be two or three, but I didn't think it needed to be large number.

I just checked two dictionaries, and both define "collection" as "a group of objects to be exhibited, compared, and studied," and those same dictionaries define "group" as "two or more." [1] [2]
Probably true, too.

I guess a collector with 1 is more of an enthusiast.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I usually have one G-shock, sometimes two or three. I had five for a while.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/three-years-g-shocks-1140738.html

In last 3 years I bought 28 Casios (mostly G) and sold 26 of them.

Am I a collector? Don't think so.
Enthusiast? Probably.
Nuts? For sure.
:cool:

Cheers, Piowa

BTW: Can somebody drop me the link to the thread where we were counting all the G-Shocks here?
It was a long list like that...

User 1 ....... 3 watches
User 2 ........ 23 watches
etc.

TOTAL ..... xxx watches

·
Registered
511 Posts
i am with piowa on this... i dont consider myself a collector (i wish i could) due to money constraints but surely i am an enthusiast and definitely going nuts over these so-called G's. o|

i even spread this mania to my friends and relatives, and help them choose the models suited for them. :-d

it's been a year of buying and selling, and 24 G's of different models have gone through my palms already with 18 of those sold while the remaining 6 are:

gd120ts-1er
dw5600ms-1
dw6900ms
9000ms
glx150x
gb5600ab

and you bet! these 6 i have now wont be staying with me for too long. ;-)

·
Registered
686 Posts
I own a lot of watches and mechanical clocks so I'm a collector of watches and clocks. I repair clocks and watches as a business so they are a big part of my life everyday.

When my G Shocks outnumbered all the other single brands I became a G Shock collector. From my first G Shock it didn't take long, now I can't stop looking for the next one. Haven't purchased anything but G Shock or Pathfinder/Protrek since. The 'bug' bit me hard.

That's me, when you consider yourself a G Shock collector you will know.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
My SIL Mark has ten G Shocks. Does he qualify as a collector?
I own 4. Plus and Edifice and the MDV106. Guess I'm a pseudo collector?

x traindriver art

·
Premium Member
13,972 Posts
I think you become an enthusiast first because you like a watch or particular brand/style of watch. You then turn into a fan boy at any given opportunity by promoting said watch or brand to anyone who you know that shows an interest in the watch on your wrist. The natural progression then leads to collector status because you like the watch/brand/style so much you want (notice I did not say need) more of the watch you like so much.

So I guess it could happen once you have acquired two watches. But who stops at two?! Although in another thread this morning I commented that Piowa is the most self controlled person on this forum. Almost to the point that here on WUS, he is not "normal". :) Seriously how do you do that?

I think some of us here look at the counting thread where we keep a running tally of who has how many watches; and we either say, "Wow, I wish I had that many G-Shocks!". Or we say, "Wow! He only has 4 watches! I wish I could pare my collection down to that few!".

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
2 and more, but that doesn't mean you'd own them absolutely all the time, you can trade/loan/sell and have none but still are a collector

just like Piowa, he is collector, because he has owned many but decides to keep only a few

it's a state of mind, I guess

only first owner of one Gshock not looking to buy/trade/borrow for more is NOT a collector

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I've seen a definition of this quite a while ago and I still agree "If you have 2 watches, maybe one is for dress up and other is for sports, but if you have 3 or more - you're a collector..."

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems everyone is basically in agreement that it only takes 2-3 watches to be a collector. Initially I kind of felt that at least one of the watches owned had to be a limited/special edition, or something vintage and rare to find now. But the more I think about it, I feel it doesn't matter what you own. I love this G-Shock community, and love seeing picture of all the watches I know I'll probably never own. When I first started collecting I chose quantity over quality, but that is slowly changing. I would now consider selling a few watches to fund more expensive pieces.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't consider 1 as a collector, as I've 1 of a lot of things. My definition of a collector is owning more than 1 similar item with the intention of keeping it long term.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Collector is a person who collects things. I could think myself as a square collector, as I have few squares and I'm thinking of to acquire a couple of them more to my "collection".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its not about quantity in collecting, it is more about the person. Some people are collectors and some people just wear diffrent watches, diffrent look on things.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Collecting, as defined earlier, has a lot to do with intent. I am a G-Shock enthusiast, but I collect screwback squares. They are the only watches that I specifically intend to curate in a collection. For the record, I currently have three, down from six a year ago. I may add a DW-5025 but I will probably wait until the 35th anniversary releases to add more to the collection.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts