Votes: 122 35.1%
  • More than five

Votes: 41 11.8%
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I joined this forum, a few things have surprised me, and one of those is how many of you rave about G-shocks being essential... I don't dislike them, but I've never really felt the desire to own one either. But since almost every SOTC post either shows at least one, or says something like "not counting the G-shocks", I'm increasingly feeling I'm the odd one out.

So, survey time!

Feel free to comment if you have a strong opinion, or if you don't care much one way or another, feel free to complain about Rolex ADs :)

(Note, I'm asking this question in the general forum since if I ask in the G-shock forum, the responses will be somewhat biased...)

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Got drawn in after years of abstinence when Sporty posted his blacked out Casioak.

Now that one I do like……. Can’t read the time on it, but it looks so special forces.

• Haha
Reactions: JustAbe and Actium

·
Registered
998 Posts
I own a Casio Pathfinder, an early G-Shock model. It was a gift for use while backpacking in the mountains. Good tough beater watch for weekend warrior work use these days.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have one, it remains one of the few in my box that I have not had to change the battery in (that is not mechanical). It is white so would only be spec ops in the snow I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I have two, one from my old military days and a casioak.

Reactions: JustAbe

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Used to be in the last category, but I've since dialed back. Was down to zero, but decided I can't live with none so I got a square again. That particular variant didn't scratch the itch and I realized if it was to be the one and only square it'd have to be the GW-5k, so I got that. Then I realized it's simply hip to be square, so I'm going to get all of them.

But for the time being, I love this one.
Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Watch accessory

·
Registered
197 Posts
No strong opinions from me, just sharing my personal experiences with Casio's G-Shock. It remains a huge part of my memories of watches dating back to the days of youth, where as a student we still had a genuine need for an affordable watch to tell the time since cellphones hadn't come about yet. It happens to be the very first watch I bought for myself back then. A Frogman DW-6300. There was just an unexplained crush on it that cannot be wavered even if almost all my peers were into collecting Swatches. I was the odd one out. Just stuck to what I like, I guess.

Long ago I used to have many of them in resin, but after the usual yellowing/cracking/sticking/peeling/crumbling; I've moved on to only keeping the metallic MR-Gs & MT-Gs etc, except 1 or 2 resins for regular use. There's still about 40 to 60 of them in hibernation somewhere in the deepest, but not forgotten, parts of my watch storage cabinets.

For a dive at Iceland's Silfra, (the one in my current profile pic) I wore one deliberately just to see if it will somehow freeze up or fail since I was told the water's about 4°C. Also hit it accidentally quite a few times against the underwater rocky surfaces, heavy scuba gear & tanks. Frankly a part of me was hoping it will just give in and let me tell it "you're not so tough after all". In a way, you can also say that I sort of tried to 'murder' it, yet it still survived. At the end of the day, the tough little bugger just continued to work fine without a scratch, while I was freezing my *** off. The joke's on me.

Till date, I can only say no matter how many watches I have, or no matter how expensive my collection becomes or might become, you'll be sure to see at least 1 or 2 of them together with the rest of the collection. They're just kind of indispensable. To me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a f91w. Not quite a g shock but still a surprisingly tough little watch. For the poll, I suppose this puts me in the “None” category.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I thought they were awesome for most of my life. I got gifted a Mudman and freakin loved it at first. Then I got bored with it and felt it was just too chunky. Now? I like them on everyone else's wrist but mine. I scratched the itch and glad that I did. I think the watch is still floating around somewhere. Or it got lost in our last move. Not really sure what happened to it.

• Sad
Reactions: JustAbe

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Two.

My all red GA-2100 and my GWM-5610(man I love MB6!). With two GM-2100s slated to be delivered tomorrow. Couldn't decide on green or grey, so I got both thinking I'd sell the one I didn't like on here at cost. But after seeing some actual wrist shots here recently, I'm fairly certain I'm gonna end up keeping both. Now if only they'd slap MB6 into the CasiOak module....

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Reactions: JustAbe and Siddy
1 - 20 of 197 Posts