• Two to five

Votes: 122 35.1%
  • More than five

Votes: 41 11.8%
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hated the large form factor of g shocks I had seen. Somehow ordered a dw5600 square and wore it daily until the battery ran out (7 years). It was truly a great everyday tool watch and handled alot of abuse. Been a fan since. Only the squares. Not the new negative display ones though.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Absolutely understand the utility/ruggedness/value of the G-Shock, especially if you have the wrist for it.

That said, I have a simple Seiko diver for my beater watch and don't feel I need another.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I have not been too keen on the G-Shocks. If you read up on the development and abuse they are designed to take though, then maybe you will understand the niche these watches are meant to fill. Still, I just can't get into the resin models. They seem too cheap to me. I got an all metal G-Shock and really appreciate that watch. It's got a place in my collection, a small place, but it's still there long term!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Own four G Shocks. Have tended toward the "higher end" models (two MTG's and a Froggy; along with our trusted GD-400). We prefer MB6 and tough solar tech. Other than being a bit large, we like everything about them. These are likely not our last G Shocks.

We trudge on.

·
Premium Member
5,114 Posts
I've only got one. I dug out the box and receipt and saw I purchased it 25th April, 2010. So I've had it 11.5 years and its been so reliable....I actually can't ever remember changing the battery on this thing. I bought it for $139 AUD (around $100 USD), and damn has it been value for money. It's dirty as crap in the photo, but when I saw the receipt I decided to give it some love and gave it a good wash and clean.

I've never really been a G-Shock aficionado and only recently started frequenting the G-Shock sub forum. I'm hooked on what I'm seeing and reading, and definitely will get more.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Since I joined this forum, a few things have surprised me, and one of those is how many of you rave about G-shocks being essential... I don't dislike them, but I've never really felt the desire to own one either. But since almost every SOTC post either shows at least one, or says something like "not counting the G-shocks", I'm increasingly feeling I'm the odd one out.

So, survey time!

Feel free to comment if you have a strong opinion, or if you don't care much one way or another, feel free to complain about Rolex ADs :)

(Note, I'm asking this question in the general forum since if I ask in the G-shock forum, the responses will be somewhat biased...)
I own two: an older version of what is now the GWM530A-1 that I bought at Costco 18 or 20 years ago because it was solar-powered and receives the atomic clock's radio signal. It's still running strong, even though I use it more as a time keeper. I wear a desert camouflage one that sells out each time they offer it, and my son has a Range Man that I got him this last Christmas. He wears it every day. I also own (and wear) a Pro-Trek. The thing that I really like about the Pro-Trek versus the G Shocks is that the display is easier to read i.e. I can read it without glasses (I have been using reading glasses for over 10 years). I wish the Range Man--which has the same Altimeter/Barometer/Compass functions as the Casio Pro Treks--had a larger, easier-to-read screen. That said, I have banged the Pro Trek against rocks/brick walls/concrete walls and it still works fine.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I own two: an older version of what is now the GWM530A-1 that I bought at Costco 18 or 20 years ago because it was solar-powered and receives the atomic clock's radio signal. It's still running strong, even though I use it more as a time keeper. I wear a desert camouflage one that sells out each time they offer it, and my son has a Range Man that I got him this last Christmas. He wears it every day. I also own (and wear) a Pro-Trek. The thing that I really like about the Pro-Trek versus the G Shocks is that the display is easier to read i.e. I can read it without glasses (I have been using reading glasses for over 10 years). I wish the Range Man--which has the same Altimeter/Barometer/Compass functions as the Casio Pro Treks--had a larger, easier-to-read screen. That said, I have banged the Pro Trek against rocks/brick walls/concrete walls and it still works fine.
So something like this ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Hello. I've just bought my first two and posted about them in a thread a few days ago.

It wasn't clear to me why so many collectors had them. Like OP has remarked, there are plenty of SOTC family photos out there containing fine watches, then a couple of G-Shocks thrown in. I concluded it was part of a formula and decided not to go down the same route.

Now that my collection is becoming a little more grown up, I'm increasingly cautious about wearing certain watches. I'll still buy watches like these when they interest me, but I now 'need' options that I can knock about without caring too much for them.

Enter G-Shock. It makes sense, and with a vibrant modding environment around it, it's turning out to be an enjoyable new frontier of its own.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Silver
Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Watch accessory

Reactions: TheBearded

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Just had to change my vote as I ordered another one 🙄

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
None. Maybe I'll get one eventually... but I've always viewed them as watches to wear when I'm doing something I shouldn't actually be wearing a watch whilst doing (i.e. wrenching on the car, lawnmower, using power tools, etc.). C'est la vie.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Not really "into" them as I know very little about the line-up or history but I wear this at least part of most weekends.

It's also useful as a referance when setting whatever auto or manual mechanical watch I am putting on in the morning.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

181 - 197 of 197 Posts