1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Timepiece. Some of the junk I got wouldn't really count as jewelry. :oops:

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
i think of watches as functional jewelry,however i would never be caught w/out one.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
My take on this in a previous thread -

Went without wearing a watch for years. You can get through life on time, anywhere, perfectly well without one. The bottom line is they're nothing more than jewellery and only rarely serve any practical purpose these days. They sell in the milliions because we live in a consumer society that is driven by time and tend to like expensive things that 'do stuff' we can kid ourselves we need. Being 'into' watches is just another fetish, plain and simple. Wouldn't be without my little collection, though!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I need a watch as a time piece. I like to be very precise about the time even when its not necessary and I'd end up using my cellphone instead which is harder to get out and can run out of power. Some of my watches like my pvd skeleton are more "for fun" but they still serve their time telling purpose.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Both, but maybe mostly jewelry. But then I´m female. My guess is that many guys wear it as jewelry as well, but maybe won´t admit it as easily..:-d

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
always as a timpiece. i hate cellphones and refuse to carry one outside work. it stays in the glove box of the car, so a watch is my chosen weapon.

sometimes as jewelry. it's my only real outlet for conspicuous consumption. i tend to dress low key with only my dull grey titanium wedding ring for other jewelry. but then i consider a Monster on bracelet "blingy".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Timepiece! i am a little OCD when it comes to time and being on time and everything dealing with time. so i need to know the exact time whenever i need it. i dont trust the clock on the wall or in my car, and i hate looking at my cell for the time!
that being said i guess a little fashion? because i change watches with the outfit or the occasion.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
both......I don't wear rings, etc. it's my only "accessory" and it serves a positive function of telling time.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think a watch serves both jewelry and a timepiece because sometimes I catch myself looking at my cell phone for the time even though I have a watch on!!

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Add one more guy who uses it as his only piece of jewelry. I match straps to the grain of my belt, and I even try to match the color of the metal of the buckle to the watch head.

It's really just a bonus that they have a function also.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Mine is mostly a timepiece but also serves as jewelry. I do not wear bracelets or earrings and rarely wear a ring. I constantly use my watch at work, mostly to tell time because I have to keep quite a few people running on a timeline and then I do need it for the date and day also. When I go on vacations, I often go where there are not others and there is no way to tell time, so I need my watch then too. Its a definate must have for me-- its mostly a tool, not jewelry.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cant belive Ive run across another as particular as myself.THIS is the way to wear watches!
IMHO

Add one more guy who uses it as his only piece of jewelry. I match straps to the grain of my belt, and I even try to match the color of the metal of the buckle to the watch head.

It's really just a bonus that they have a function also.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Hmm. I wear a watch primarily to tell time. I have a cell phone, but it's not always convenient to pull it out and check the time, and sometimes, such as in school (11th grade student), church, or at the movies, not allowed to.
Then again, a watch is jewelry which a modern male can wear, and not look toolish and classless at best and metrosexual at worst. It's nice to have some range of expression.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts