WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many threads that detail how many watches members have in their collections, how many watches members would like to have, how many watches members think make an ideal collection, etc., etc. I don’t believe I have ever seen a thread accounting for how many watches have gone through your collections. That is, over the time period that you have been interested in watches, how many watches have gone through your hands? For some this will be an easy answer, for the constant flippers and “catch and release“ buyers among us a number may be difficult to provide.

I thought about my own situation and with some difficulty I was able to determine that 30 different watches have gone through my hands over the years. Three remain a part of my current active collection, two are sentimental keepers that I will never wear but will not discard. This means 25 watches I once owned are part of another’s collection today.

So, how many watches have gone through your hands over the years?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Lost track. Lots and lots

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I have documented 278 watches since I began collecting back in 1986, and there have been (I'm guessing) maybe 20-30 that came and went so fast I didn't record them.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Less than 30 if I had to guess? I tend to keep most even though I suppose a day of reckoning is coming at some point.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
An even 50 at the moment. Starting around 2011 or so.

·
Premium Member
8,444 Posts
An embarrassing number. Over the past 8 years I've bought and sold hundreds, if not thousands, of watches. While I am a major watch guy and spend entirely too much time in the watch world, I think I've realized that I enjoy the transaction more than the actual watch. Even watches purchased to be kept forever have lost their luster within a matter of weeks. It's a major sickness but with so many interesting pieces out there and the finite resource of capital, my watch life is a revolving door.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
These are the watches that have passed through my collection. Remaining in the collection are about 20 watches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
None. Well, except for a cheap Apogaum (which I acquired cheaply) that I had to trash after my son wrecked the bracelet and it began to refuse to accept the concept of general accuracy. Come to think of it, though, the box disitengrated at the same time. Maybe it just had a ten-year self-destruct date! shrug

·
Registered
183 Posts
That was a scary exercise, looking at the photos I took of each one Im at 78. those are just the ones worthy of photo cataloguing. Didnt realise I have bought and flipped so many, currently running with about 15 in my collection

·
Registered
887 Posts
7 watches have come and gone in my collection. I don't like transactions very much, so I generally don't get a lot of watches in the first place. I don't feel compelled to buy or sell things "just because". Having said that, I think another two watches will be sold and replaced with two more.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
My guesstimate is between 60 and 80 pieces that have been “released” one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,370 Posts
Couldn’t imagine how many, if I counted all the cheap quartz and fashion watches I bought and threw away over 40 years of collecting it would be in the hundreds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fairly new to the game but so far I have had 7 timepieces. Currently own 3 in my collection! Love the watch game!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts