WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The reason I ask is, I am in the market for a new ExplorerII black dial. I called my local Rolex AD, and they told me that they were having this huge after thanksgiving sale, and I could get one for 10% off their price of $5075.00. And they seemed very proud of themselves that they would allow me that 10%! Now I have been buying and selling watches for a while, but I am fairly new to buying a Rolex from an AD, is this normal? I have heard of other brands AD's giving 20%-30% off, is this out of the question, or do I have to wave cash in front of their face to get them to deal?

Any advice is greatly appreciated:-!

Andy

·
Registered
140 Posts
HI,

Yesterday, I went into an AD (in the UK) and I got 11% off of the list price. However, I had to give them a £500 ($1,000) deposit for them to do it so close to christmas.

hope this helps.
I wouldn't expect much more than that. Plus i had bought from them before.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Depends on the watch and the location. I priced a Sea-Dweller in Singapore and they wouldn't give me a cent off recommended retail price; Hong Kong were happy to allow the maximum of 15% off RRP -- except for the Daytona which can be priced above RRP, although there is no waiting time for delivery. In Australia I've seen typical discounts of 10% but not for Daytona or Sea-Dweller which are RRP or no deal. In Virginia your 10% might be the norm.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I got 7% off my Seadweller (US) and they acted like they'd done me huge favor.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It is all supply and demand. My dealer will discount 10% on sport watches and that makes me very happy!
brian

Hi All,

The reason I ask is, I am in the market for a new ExplorerII black dial. I called my local Rolex AD, and they told me that they were having this huge after thanksgiving sale, and I could get one for 10% off their price of $5075.00. And they seemed very proud of themselves that they would allow me that 10%! Now I have been buying and selling watches for a while, but I am fairly new to buying a Rolex from an AD, is this normal? I have heard of other brands AD's giving 20%-30% off, is this out of the question, or do I have to wave cash in front of their face to get them to deal?

Any advice is greatly appreciated:-!

Andy

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I got 10% on sub, which is as far as they are allowed to discount on the books in US to my understanding, 20% on old models.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
:-d Waving cash in front of my face I used to just laugh.
Why did someone do it in a comical way? It makes a difference to the ad's that I have dealt with.

At ant rate 10% is not a bad discount on SS Sport models from Rolex. Some dealers do not discount at all; just leave, because others will. There is usually no advantage to the ones who don't deal. If they are not reasonable enough to give a few % off then they are probably not that good on after the sale service either; so go somewhere else.

·
Registered
39,174 Posts
Naw, but many thing there is a cash discount, it may work with a small
store, but a large chain, that depends on goals. Some will bring in a wad
and say that's all I have hoping for extra points. I'm already giving 19 and
they want me to eat the tax, no way. Counting was a pain and it had to
be done twice. The whole transaction is much easier with a credit card.
I once took a stolen card from a "pro," the interview later by the Secret
Service was a kick. Tryed to sell her a watch, she was quite attractive.
Why did someone do it in a comical way? It makes a difference to the ad's that I have dealt with.

At ant rate 10% is not a bad discount on SS Sport models from Rolex. Some dealers do not discount at all; just leave, because others will. There is usually no advantage to the ones who don't deal. If they are not reasonable enough to give a few % off then they are probably not that good on after the sale service either; so go somewhere else.

·
Registered
76 Posts
different ADs give different discounts as the models sought after in their region differs. Ultimately, your bargaining skills determine the outcome.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
store, but a large chain, that depends on goals. Some will bring in a wad
and say that's all I have hoping for extra points. I'm already giving 19 and
they want me to eat the tax, no way. Counting was a pain and it had to
be done twice. The whole transaction is much easier with a credit card.
I once took a stolen card from a "pro," the interview later by the Secret
Service was a kick. Tryed to sell her a watch, she was quite attractive.
Sounds like another good reason not to deal with a large chain store.

I like personalized and friendly salespeople not just another big store with nothing going for it but rudeness.

·
Registered
39,174 Posts
:think: So what your're saying is, that everyone working in a chain store is
rude.
Sounds like another good reason not to deal with a large chain store.

I like personalized and friendly salespeople not just another big store with nothing going for it but rudeness.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
:think: So what your're saying is, that everyone working in a chain store is
rude.
No but on the whole sales staff at large chain stores in the US aren't as well versed in what they sell and it sounds as if you may be rude to potential customers. If you don't have time to count cash then you probably don't have time to spend with the customer showing other watches or explaining the features of a watch of interest. It sounds to me like you just want to make the sale and then rush them out the door, so you can make the next customer. I am never rude to the sales people but if I politely ask them whether I can save some money by paying cash, I don't expect to be laughed at. That would definitely make me walk out. If they politely told me no and explained why and that their service and knowledge of the product is the best; that could change my mind but not laughing at me. An educated, friendly, polite salesperson who is willing to spend a little time with me on a multi thousand dollar sale is worth something but not one who is rude or mocking.

store, but a large chain, that depends on goals.
I am not saying that a store must give a discount for cash, but this statement leads to a question. A sales oriented business must have profit goals but they must also have customer service and satisfaction as a primary goal, and laughing at customers doesn't qualify.

·
Registered
528 Posts
discound 10%, 11% 15%..... from what starting price??
Thn Sub LV had a starting price 5.150,00 €, ant i bought it
4.750,00 €. Was good? Good price? -8%....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new so forgive my first post if I break any forum rule!
I purchased the Exp II black dial more than a week ago in Singapore and I paid about USD 4565/ exc GST. I believe this is price is at a discount of abt 11 %.

Hope this info is of use to you

·
Registered
62 Posts
discound 10%, 11% 15%..... from what starting price??
Thn Sub LV had a starting price 5.150,00 €, ant i bought it
4.750,00 €. Was good? Good price? -8%....
Yes, good price!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts