WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know that most of you guys talk about automatic watches, but how much can you spend on quartz watch? At the moment I am looking for a good quartz in price range up to $400. Is it worth? I have automatic Rotary watch GS02375/01:

gs02375-01.jpg 28042bb1.jpg

I'm really happy about it even if the movement isn't the best one.
Now Iam looking for something with quartz mov. and cuff strap. My eye caught cheap Fossil CH2565:

CH2565-1.jpg

what are your thoughts on selecting quartz watch?

thanks

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Not necessarily a quartz fan myself, but expect you could get a G-Shock for $400.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
$400 should buy you a very nice quartz.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'd rather have a quality quartz watch than an average watch with a garbage automatic movement. So it really depends on what we're talking about.

I personally spent ~$550 on a quartz victorinox dive master 500. Why would I spend more on an automatic version of the same watch when you can't even see the movement? Unless there's something unique or interesting about the automatic movement in question, I'd probably choose a quartz version of the watch if given the choice. A lot of the watches I like however, are only available as an automatic.

Maybe I'm weird or not a true WIS (which to be honest, I'm not), but the movement a watch uses is only one factor for me--and not necessarily the defining factor.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I love the oysterquartz range. Very rare. As for modern examples, I'm considering picking up a GS SBGX061 for around $2000.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
The Victorinox Inox is currently on my radar, as an elegant, but still tough-as-nails beater/daily wearer. That one retails at around $550 I believe. If I pull the trigger that will be my most expensive quartz. If you are looking to spend ~$400 on a quartz, I would consider that one! Not sure how much of a discount off of retail you could get, but it shouldn't end up being too far out of your price range.

How much could I spend on a quartz? I could see myself considering a quartz Grand Seiko or Omega Aqua Terra, however the automatic alternative to each would be my preference, even if that doubles the price for the same look and build quality.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I could see myself spending ~$500 USD. I'm not sure I would spend all that much on a Fossil though that is set up exactly the same as my Seiko.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I could see myself spending ~$500 USD. I'm not sure I would spend all that much on a Fossil though that is set up exactly the same as my Seiko.
That Fossil costs only around $170 (in US only $110, but I am in EU), looks pretty good deal for me since many users likes the quality for the price... also I need cuff strap.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
For your budget of up to $400, that buys you a good-looking, reliable quartz watch. Beyond a $20 quartz watch, you're spending money on superior technology, longer lasting stainless steel case/bracelet, some might have sapphire crystal, and better looks and finishes.

I recommend Seiko or Citizen Eco-Drive/solar or kinetic watches because then you don't have to change batteries every few years. I find kinetic tends to be more fun to wear (though you have to wear it periodically to charge up the lithium ion cell with arm movement).

This looks good to me, Seiko kinetic SMY099P1, looks like a Grand Seiko (if you spend enough time here, you'll learn about Grand Seiko) without the Grand Seiko price:

EDIT: sorry, you want cuff strap, nevermind about stainless steel bracelets then.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
That Fossil costs only around $170 (in US only $110, but I am in EU), looks pretty good deal for me since many users likes the quality for the price... also I need cuff strap.
That's not a bad price. My Seiko was about $100 USD.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I spent €500 on my Longines Conquest Quartz (roughly 650 USD). I'd say it's worth it. I could see myself buying a Grand Seiko Quartz as well.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
but I am in EU)
Some websites you might find useful, in the sense of being able to buy without paying (much) VAT on arrival.

creationwatches.com
skywatches.sg

and if you're hung up on Fossil (no offence but pretty low value/price ratio if you ask me though, as compared to Citizen, Seiko , Tissot and others) , this one seems to sell Fossil:
Fossil watches online - Buy Fossil watches here

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Your $400 budget should get you a very nice quartz watch, especially if you go used. Look at the Citizen Exceed or Seiko Dolce lines for dress, and stick to them for diver, sporty as well if you don't want to have to worry too much about what's inside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some websites you might find useful, in the sense of being able to buy without paying (much) VAT on arrival.

creationwatches.com
skywatches.sg
creationwatches.com offers only 1 year Citizen warranty, while http://www.watchshop.com/ offers original 5 year Citizen warranty... creationwatches.com "stinks" a bit...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts