WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what many of you have paid for a sinn watch.

Hope to discuss historical prices and the values of sinn watches.

Do you expect the price change in the last few years to reflect in the coming years? No change? Slight change?

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you

-J

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Gentlemen,

we try to avoid this sort of discussion (regarding discounts as requested in the first, unedited version of the post) in public, as many watch companies frown upon discounting and penalize distributors, sometimes going as far as taking their Authorized Dealer status away.

As the Sinn dealer network is not extensive - often with only one regional dealer - the few dealers in existence are under no pressure to discount.

If you wish to share your experiences with the original poster, please use PMs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
777 Posts
Whatever watchbuys is charging. Then again, they have raised the prices, so a little bit cheaper than what they show now.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems everyone is saying they raised the sinn watch prices. Just how much did they increase over the years?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well I have been interested in the Sinn U1 for close to a year now and have read through many threads about the watch and comparing it with other watches. It seems like a few years ago the watch was a much better deal than it is now.

In old threads comparing the U1 to the seiko sbdx001, someone will say how much nicer finished the seiko is compared to the sinn. Then someone else would chime in and say, "it should be, it is a more expensive watch." That is no longer the case. Back is 2006 - 2008 the U1 on rubber was $1200 - $1350 range. That price still seems about right to me. Now they are over $2000. A new sbdx001 is around $1900.

Heck, if you bought a u1 in 08 and kept it in pretty good shape, you could sell it now for a nice profit.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Price of watch raising is not exclusive to Sinn. It is pretty much an industry wide event for the past 4~5yrs. The other brands I follow besides Sinn, Ball and Omega all had ~10% price hike every year for the past 4 yrs. Lots of factors cause the raise, supply & demand, weak US dollar, etc...

Sinn is a really good value for the money, you get a lot of cool/good watch technology and quality.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Well I have been interested in the Sinn U1 for close to a year now and have read through many threads about the watch and comparing it with other watches. It seems like a few years ago the watch was a much better deal than it is now.

In old threads comparing the U1 to the seiko sbdx001, someone will say how much nicer finished the seiko is compared to the sinn. Then someone else would chime in and say, "it should be, it is a more expensive watch." That is no longer the case. Back is 2006 - 2008 the U1 on rubber was $1200 - $1350 range. That price still seems about right to me. Now they are over $2000. A new sbdx001 is around $1900.

Heck, if you bought a u1 in 08 and kept it in pretty good shape, you could sell it now for a nice profit.
I'm not sure if I could compare the Seiko to Sinn. Still, Sinn has good value. All watch prices are going up. My UX would be about 40% more expensive than when I bought it years ago. But so is everything else. Just part of it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm not sure if I could compare the Seiko to Sinn. Still, Sinn has good value. All watch prices are going up. My UX would be about 40% more expensive than when I bought it years ago. But so is everything else. Just part of it.
I hear you. I know all watch prices have gone sky high. It's just hard to stomach paying $2000 for what was a $1200 watch just a few years ago. Maybe I'll snag a used one at some point at a decent price.

I think the Seiko is the exception to the rule on pricing. They used to go for $2500, now they are under $2000 due to the falling yen. I recently picked up a nice used one for much less and can find little to fault with it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Really???

Can you substantiate above claim with a few examples (e.g. completed e-bay auctions), or are you just presuming?

I'd like to see evidence of your claim that you could sell a "pretty good shape" 6-year old U1 "for a profit" over what you paid for the same watch new in 2008.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I hear you. I know all watch prices have gone sky high. It's just hard to stomach paying $2000 for what was a $1200 watch just a few years ago. Maybe I'll snag a used one at some point at a decent price.

I think the Seiko is the exception to the rule on pricing. They used to go for $2500, now they are under $2000 due to the falling yen. I recently picked up a nice used one for much less and can find little to fault with it.
Then maybe luxury goods are just not the thing for you...
That's the way prices of luxury goods roll.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Really???

Can you substantiate above claim with a few examples (e.g. completed e-bay auctions), or are you just presuming?

I'd like to see evidence of your claim that you could sell a "pretty good shape" 6-year old U1 "for a profit" over what you paid for the same watch new in 2008.

I'm just going by my daily checking of watchrecon for the past few months looking at Sinn U1 for sale adds. Most are in the $1400 - $1700+ range. If you bought it when they were $1200 or $1300 then you would come out ahead.

I realize everything is more expensive than it was just a few years ago, that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

A couple of years ago I could get 2 McMuffins for $2. Now they are 2 for $3.50.:)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like shaneotool said, it is hard to accept a huge price increase in sink watches. Not just a couple hundred dollar increase but nearly double

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Like shaneotool said, it is hard to accept a huge price increase in sink watches. Not just a couple hundred dollar increase but nearly double

Sink watches??? Or, a typo?

People b!tch about price increases all the time. Value is subjective. It is hard to argue, with regard to Sinn, these watches are not "worth the price now". Utter BS to me. It's like saying a Rolex 5513 is "worth" 5-6k? Really? Ok, it has an in house movement, big deal. It's what the market will bear. Sinn represents some significant technology, even though they may not use in-house movements. I think one would be hard pressed to find the tech, the style and the quality for less.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was a typo. But let's say for sinn 856, do regimented surface sulfate capsule really justify the increase? Yes they are nice attributes regimented steel is not scratch proof and once u do scratch it is virtually impossible to renew it. As for capsule, does inserting that tiny thing instantly drive up hundreds of dollars?

I'm not arguing against sinn but just wish they were priced better as I predict many people feel the same= sales would be way better

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Luxury watch brands will increase their prices as long as the market will bear it. Sinn isn't the only company doing it...when I bought a speedmaster in 2006, I paid USD2800, now I can't take one home for less than USD4200...it's essentially the same watch from the same dealer...

Sent from the dark side

1 - 20 of 46 Posts