WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
around what percentage do big chain stores make off of the average Breitling sale?
say a store like Tourneau or London Jewelers for example

(is this too broad of a question?)

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
In the US, if you pay list, I think about 40 to 45 percent of list is mark up. But lets remember that out of that, they are paying to keep the doors open, paying the staff, the utilities, advertising, store fixtures and interiors, not to mention the paying for the watch and having it sit there until it is purchased. So obviously with all the expenses, the markup is far from all "profit".

Naturally, I prefer a decent discount, but I would never decry an AD for making a living. Profit is the life blood of any business, and it's sole reason to exist in the first place.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
My AD always offers me a good discount, but also makes money too, no point in being inn business otherwise, turnover vs profit is always a crucial economic calculation.

But, as I return often, I guess the overall sales to me, makes up for the loss in actual profit on each item. I buy all of my wifes jewellery in there too.

So the adage of managing returning business and making the most of new works well for them

When Mr Smith returns from his hols, he has a definitative answer for this question

Davey

·
Registered
449 Posts
When you go into a large store just think at how much money is tied up in inventory. I was at an AD last week, they had hundreds of watches from $5,000 to $75,000 each. It was well into the several of millions. Someone has to pay for the "carry" on that. I think the AD's have to buy the watches from the company before they sell them. That gets costly. (Plus the fixed costs of business mentioned above)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
In the US, if you pay list, I think about 40 to 45 percent of list is mark up. But lets remember that out of that, they are paying to keep the doors open, paying the staff, the utilities, advertising, store fixtures and interiors, not to mention the paying for the watch and having it sit there until it is purchased. So obviously with all the expenses, the markup is far from all "profit".

Naturally, I prefer a decent discount, but I would never decry an AD for making a living. Profit is the life blood of any business, and it's sole reason to exist in the first place.
i know where the profit my father made with his shop went. it was the rent. landlords absolutely bleed their tenants dry. sorry but that is the biggest reason i know for shop closure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I work for a large international company who also runs two high end jewerly stores. I get a considerable discount which is why I bought an EMission. I think that the mark up is around 45%.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey all,

What the net margins of the dealers are is hard to guess , however the
gross margins are in a range of 40-45%.

The more watches that a dealer sells the bigger the discount he gets from Breitling.

Hence jewellery retail chains have bigger margins as compared to standalone jewellers since their purchases are higher in numbers.

The inventory holding time of the retailer makes a difference . Hence a dealer will always offer a bigger discount on instore items as compared to
ordered watches.

The currency in which the watches are bought , makes a difference.
If the watches are bought and then the currency devaluated marginally as compared to local currency , the retailer loses.

Local taxes play a part . In south east asia , taxes can go upto 20% and the ADs will procure the watch through their network and sell it to you at a discount if you are willing to accept only a stamped warranty card and no invoice.( is that risky ? thats another debate)

ADs will also offer a discount if you pay by cash rather than card as they save on the processing charges.

all these factors determine the final price of a watch. It also helps if the AD is also a watch freak as compared to only being a businessman .

just my inferences from talking to ADs in quite a few places. ( purely out of a love for Breitlings)

Hope that helps,

CHeers ,
Vineet

·
Registered
41,256 Posts
:think: Some nopes here, "always a bigger discount on instore items." Not
really, that depends on how well you bargain and how much of a customer
you are.
Cash discount, ifie, does and doesn't. Watch freak, :-d.
Hey all,

What the net margins of the dealers are is hard to guess , however the
gross margins are in a range of 40-45%.

The more watches that a dealer sells the bigger the discount he gets from Breitling.

Hence jewellery retail chains have bigger margins as compared to standalone jewellers since their purchases are higher in numbers.

The inventory holding time of the retailer makes a difference . Hence a dealer will always offer a bigger discount on instore items as compared to
ordered watches.

The currency in which the watches are bought , makes a difference.
If the watches are bought and then the currency devaluated marginally as compared to local currency , the retailer loses.

Local taxes play a part . In south east asia , taxes can go upto 20% and the ADs will procure the watch through their network and sell it to you at a discount if you are willing to accept only a stamped warranty card and no invoice.( is that risky ? thats another debate)

ADs will also offer a discount if you pay by cash rather than card as they save on the processing charges.

all these factors determine the final price of a watch. It also helps if the AD is also a watch freak as compared to only being a businessman .

just my inferences from talking to ADs in quite a few places. ( purely out of a love for Breitlings)

Hope that helps,

CHeers ,
Vineet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts