WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently trying to negotiate a very good deal on an Omega watch, I was just wondering how much commission an AD salesperson gets in %. This way I can walk in and know their industry and convince them to give it to the price I want.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't know how much they make but they will usually discount up to 30% off the MSRP. You should demand nothing more than this if you are going to buy from an Authorized Dealer. Discounting is up to 40% from "grey market" non authorized (internet) dealers. Be careful if you buy on the internet. Do lots of research to find the honest dealers. By supporting the AD you are ensuring a place to go locally for some hands on shopping. So don't feel bad about paying the little extra to keep them in business especially if you like looking at, and trying on watches. Best.

Jon

·
Registered
351 Posts
I spoke to a guy at a reputable high street jewellers in the UK and he explained that as a salesperson he is entitled to purchase a timepiece every six months at up to 60% off list. This figure varies depending on the manufacturer and the discount off higher end companies is less. He wouldn't say how much by though, only mentioning that Rolex give very little.

On the subject of how much money he makes from a watch sale he explained that the margin made on a particular sale belongs to the business rather than the salesperson and that although he sees the sale reflected in his paypacket it is nowhere near the margin that the business makes.

I guess this will vary from business to business and the smaller AD salesperson will surely make more money than one from a larger chain.

Surely this forum has members that are ADs that could shed more light on this.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
You gotta be kidding me. I'm an AD. You know how much percentage I get? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip.
Bottom line, tonicma- if you get yourself an Omega from an Authorised Dealer at 30% off the retail price, then you've gotten a very good deal. Anything more than that is just you being greedy. Sorry to put it this way, but I get sick of people who come into my store screaming for a discount and then turn up their noses when I shave 30% off the price. For those customers, it's not really about the watch. It's about the deal.
An Omega watch is a good buy at the retail price compared to some more expensive brands. At 30% off retail, it's a great buy.
Best of luck.

teeritz

·
Registered
639 Posts
letting some pimple faced kid turn you down

Hope you guys don't mind my input, but I don't see how "knowing an industry", which I assume must mean knowing profit margin, changes anything.
Going into battle armed with that info might end up costing a bit of dignity.

Negotiating in the role of buyer I want to be the party that decides if a deal will close or not. Dickering too hard risks that.

"Going rates" are the only industry knowledge you need.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
You gotta be kidding me. I'm an AD. You know how much percentage I get? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip.
Bottom line, tonicma- if you get yourself an Omega from an Authorised Dealer at 30% off the retail price, then you've gotten a very good deal. Anything more than that is just you being greedy. Sorry to put it this way, but I get sick of people who come into my store screaming for a discount and then turn up their noses when I shave 30% off the price. For those customers, it's not really about the watch. It's about the deal.
An Omega watch is a good buy at the retail price compared to some more expensive brands. At 30% off retail, it's a great buy.
Best of luck.

teeritz
You get sick of customers? WOW! And still in business?
Why would it be greedy to try and get more that the 30% off? Its greedy to try and get the best deal you can? You mean you just pay
the price with 30% off and be happy when you could have gotten 35%
off. I have lost nothing asking. You can bet on this: when I come in
to buy, I'm going to pound you all I can to get the best deal I can.
The last time I bought from and AD, and it was a month or so ago, I
worked that deal as hard as I could. For an hour or so. I came away
with 30% off, and extra strap and a deployant. In looking at the big
picture, I got $400 worth of stuff that they normally wouldn't have
given. Savings to me: about 8%. Worth it? Damned right!
Better hope I don't come in and deal with you. You will be mad
and get your feelings hurt because I'm gonna pound you like a used
car salesman. There are plenty just like me. I'm not greedy, just thrifty.
jim

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I think there is no harm in going into a deal with this knowledge. However, just knowing the profit margin is not sufficient. You need to know a whole lot more about what factors into the cost. And in the end - everyone in business needs to turn a profit. Otherwise they would not be in business...

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Why would it be greedy to try and get more that the 30% off? Its greedy to try and get the best deal you can? You mean you just pay
jim
Meanie.

Todd

·
Registered
55 Posts
Think about building a relationship as well

I appreciate the difficulties of being a small business owner and will not try to hammer an independent shop too terribly much. I would do exactly what you are doing here. Know the standard discount and go in seeking it.

I would place much more stock in making sure that the AD is willing to service their product and joyfully stand behind me if there ever is a problem. To that end, I do not like to poison the well by being overly zealous in seeking a deal. I just want to feel that I got a fair price from a good business. If I feel that way - then i will buy from them again and again.

BTW: The forum AD is wonderful.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I don't know how much they make but they will usually discount up to 30% off the MSRP. You should demand nothing more than this if you are going to buy from an Authorized Dealer.
I would certainly not call 30% the standard discount for Omega. If you do find an AD who is willing to offer it, then that's great (and, obviously, they do exist). But let's be realistic, you aren't going to be able to march into just any Omega AD and expect that big a markdown.

·
Registered
663 Posts
30% is going to be hard to make, unless you have a great relationship with the AD. I walked into the bigT one time, and tried on a planet ocean on rubber, and asked about the discount....0%. I got 15% and tax off on one at another large national chain. Walking in and expecting 30% is unrealistic, and you might just get laughed at ;-)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Help me understand this. You mean you make no margin off of a watch, or you get nothing off on the purchase of your own watches?

I'll refrain from commenting on that until you clarify.
if you get yourself an Omega from an Authorized Dealer at 30% off the retail price, then you've gotten a very good deal.
This I can get behind, because 30% seems to be the high-end for a discount.
Anything more than that is just you being greedy.
Okay, you lost me. You sound like one more jaded retail worker who is angry with his career choice. There is absolutely, positively NOTHING "greedy" about wanting to get the best deal you can as a consumer and implying so is insulting. Ridiculous...

If I get great service, from great individuals, who seem to value my business, no matter how great or small, then I'm much more prone to want to pay a fair price for both parties. However, when some ADs are more than willing to quote 20% to a stranger, or 30% to someone who says they are serious and was referred to that AD, it would seem as though those ADs that are angered by customers who ask for discounts are the greedy ones.
Sorry to put it this way, but I get sick of people who come into my store screaming for a discount and then turn up their noses when I shave 30% off the price.
I wouldn't turn up my nose at 30%, certainly not. IMO, you are doing all you can to earn my business and keep your doors open. Any more and I am should look at pre-owned. Agreed. But many people don't know 30% is the best most will do, or the "industry standard" for great customers. Some people think 50% is more like it, and that's their ignorance, but the bottom line is they aren't being "greedy" for that desire, they are simply not following by the ridiculous "rules" the market has set up to be followed.
For those customers, it's not really about the watch. It's about the deal.
I disagree with this as well. To me, and many others I know, it's ALL about the watch. But these are luxury items reserved for people who might be a bit more accustomed to luxury than we are. We know that, and we know we have to pay to play, so we're willing to, but we want the best deal we can get so we don't feel quite as awful dropping a month's wages on a watch. For me, the "deal" or the "hunt" or whatever you want to call it is simply the messy, unfortunate means to the wonderful end of getting that thing on the wrist.
An Omega watch is a good buy at the retail price compared to some more expensive brands.
I may have missed your point here, and if so my apologies in advance, but you don't have anything to do with that. Respectfully, you can't take credit for Omega choosing to impart a bit of value with their product, so that's a bit difficult to hide behind when you are dealing with a "greedy" customer. I appreciate the value and thank Omega for that, now, AD, give me this watch for 30% off and don't tell me I should be satisfied with 15% because I'm getting a great watch for the price. I'm getting the same great watch for a lower price at the FAD, or...you, Teeritz. :)
At 30% off retail, it's a great buy.
Absolutely, and please don't think this is all directed at you, moreso the Tourneaus of the world who think we are being "greedy" for even bringing up a discount! If you give over 20% and provide good service you are A-okay in my book.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
jim
Morning Jim, this might be a little different take on the same issue, maybe not. For me, it seems on most things with a little homework it's not too hard to figure out what a fair price is before making a deal. Then, whether buying something, or working out contracts with other people with whom I'll want to have ongoing business relationships, it works for me to seek what I think is a fair and good value rather than trying to squeeze the last dime out of a deal.

Approaching things that way makes me think they'll tend to be much more helpful when I have a problem that needs their attention after we make the deal, whether I'm buying a watch, car, making agreements with farm operators, you name it. With each passing year I find myself more interested in maintaining excellent business relationships with people I can count on (as well as I can) - that's often more important to me than the original price. Could be wrong - that's just me. My version of thrifty. Best, John

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Hi, I am currently trying to negotiate a very good deal on an Omega watch, I was just wondering how much commission an AD salesperson gets in %. This way I can walk in and know their industry and convince them to give it to the price I want.
To TONICMA:

• There are AD willing to go near the 30% margin. I have one here in Montreal, and sent another forum member (VINCE88) there; he got his Planet Ocean at near 30%, plus got a free Longines fountain pen in the bargain (not bad, can fetch $150 on eBay, should you want to part with it to offset part of the watch purchase cost), and could have had the rubber band at cost. You just need to work on the relationship.
  • If you approach the 30% discount, you can still expect/hope for a few freebies (rubber band, etc.). You just need to work on the relationship.
So bottom line: you just need to work on the relationship with the AD.

To TEERITZ: I am sorry to say so, and maybe I am misjudging the tone of what you wrote, but your post does not seem to come from someone (an AD) trying to be street smart and gain new customers, by seeding relationships (guess what, the AD too needs to work on the relationship!).

It reads, at least to me, like coming from a jaded seller who'd rather not be bothered by savvy customers looking for a great deal. There is much pleasure to be had from a great deal (as a customer), and often this turns into word of mouth marketing for the shop. And this, in turn, translates into better sales and repeat customers. Surely you'd like repeat customers?

Just like what my AD does in Montreal (he does not even have a shop at street level, he is located in a commercial building).

My two cents!

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Morning Jim, this might be a little different take on the same issue, maybe not. For me, it seems on most things with a little homework it's not too hard to figure out what a fair price is before making a deal. Then, whether buying something, or working out contracts with other people with whom I'll want to have ongoing business relationships, it works for me to seek what I think is a fair and good value rather than trying to squeeze the last dime out of a deal.

Approaching things that way makes me think they'll tend to be much more helpful when I have a problem that needs their attention after we make the deal, whether I'm buying a watch, car, making agreements with farm operators, you name it. With each passing year I find myself more interested in maintaining excellent business relationships with people I can count on (as well as I can) - that's often more important to me than the original price. Could be wrong - that's just me. My version of thrifty. Best, John
I don't disagree with that John. Not at all. BUT......if I get a good deal,
I'm coming back again. And probably again. Pay cash and its done.
I will reccommend them all I can, not dog them with credit cards where
they have to pay the 3% or so and be straight up with them. I deal with a car dealer where we have bought my company trucks, both daughters vehicles, Ginger's, sons car and several others. Reason? Best service ever.
I pound them hard but they know to keep me, they got to service what
they sell and do it well. I know the competitions prices when I walk in the
door.......and they know it.
No different when I bid a job. They work hard to get the best price.
I don't blame them.
jim

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought my wife an Omega SMP Ladies Bond quartz just this past weekend. The salesman was able to offer 20% off MSRP. When I mentioned getting 30% he just had to get the manager's approval. This may not be the case with every model and certianly probably would not apply to watches not currently in their stock but the dealers I have dealt with have offered this with no problem. There is always an AD out there willing to discount. I had to track one down out of state for a Breitling purchase one time. I got 30% off, free shipping, and no sales tax from an AD. Do your research and you can save some bucks.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Meanie.

Todd
Someone may have "meanie" confused with "Jackass"

Tell ya what folks, let me explain how I deal with people like Jimmy: Everybody here knows I'm in the fire pump business, when I perform a pump certification on a piece of apparatus, it doesn't always go as planned, This equipment will wear out, and will occasionally require an overhaul. These repairs are not cheap, about ten grand apiece. I'll quote the customer the price, "It's gonna cost around ten thousand to recertify and overhaul this pump" Customer says "Can you do it for six thousand?" Me " I can do it for free, but I'm not going to" This customer is no longer a customer, he has just been fired. There are unreasonable people out there, you just have to be able to weed them out.......................David

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Someone may have "meanie" confused with "Jackass"

Tell ya what folks, let me explain how I deal with people like Jimmy: Everybody here knows I'm in the fire pump business, when I perform a pump certification on a piece of apparatus, it doesn't always go as planned, This equipment will wear out, and will occasionally require an overhaul. These repairs are not cheap, about ten grand apiece. I'll quote the customer the price, "It's gonna cost around ten thousand to recertify and overhaul this pump" Customer says "Can you do it for six thousand?" Me " I can do it for free, but I'm not going to" This customer is no longer a customer, he has just been fired. There are unreasonable people out there, you just have to be able to weed them out.......................David
A watch and a fire machine ain't the same thing, and don't try to make it that way. Yours is a skill and an art, its also used to save lives and property. Not seeing that would make you an idiot, and you are on the verge of proving it. A luxury item is just that.......something that you don't have to purchase. Its a LUXURY dumbass. And you don't sell your services the same way a watch salesman hawks watches. You got a store? NOPE. Got a showcase? NADA! Shiny showroom? NO!
BUT.......I do bet you will deal with regular customes to help them stay
within their budget or tender the price with the amount of work they give
you. Tell me I'm wrong.
jim

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Working in the service industry can be difficult. As David demonstrated, "the customer is always right" isn't always practical or possible. There has to be a mutual respect between the buyer and the seller, with the understanding that both parties are getting something out of the relationship.

Some customers are just...difficult.
Oh, eric, can you wear the bear suit tonight?
No...the other bear suit!
What do you mean you can't work the pommel horse in that bear suit?!
How about a discount, if you just wear the top half?​
On and on and on... Sometimes, you just have to pick up your boombox and walk away.

eric

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.