WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We talk about the aesthetics, materials, functions, accuracy and value of watches. These are all important to us when deciding which watches to buy and wear. But I was interested in where the brand fits in the list of priorities for you? Would you buy a watch for its look, even if you have never heard of the brand? Or would you buy a watch from a renowned brand, even if you weren't 100% sold on the design?

You can take brands to mean history, style or social perception, though I'm more interested in hearing about the last one.

·
Registered
779 Posts
For me, it all depends on what aspect has established that brand recognition. Is it because of quality and value? Or is it because of advertising and high-priced endorsement deals with celebrities. If it's the latter, I tend to stay away.

Tag is a perfect example. I'm sure their quality is not subpar, and several of their design appeal to me. But the fact that a chunk of my purchase price is going to pay someone like Cameron Diaz annoys me no end. More importantly, I could get very similar styles with other, lesser known brand at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
... Would you buy a watch for its look, even if you have never heard of the brand? Or would you buy a watch from a renowned brand, even if you weren't 100% sold on the design?
Neither of those extremes for me.

I think brand is important to me. More than I'd like to admit.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Always acquire based on looks, regardless of brand. Have never sacrificed part of the aesthetic just because the brand is renowned. So, too, have sold a bunch of watches as/when the thrill of the "look" has worn off, doesn't matter the brand . . .

Reactions: davidtsee

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
We talk about the aesthetics, materials, functions, accuracy and value of watches. These are all important to us when deciding which watches to buy and wear. But I was interested in where the brand fits in the list of priorities for you? Would you buy a watch for its look, even if you have never heard of the brand? Or would you buy a watch from a renowned brand, even if you weren't 100% sold on the design?

You can take brands to mean history, style or social perception, though I'm more interested in hearing about the last one.
Watches that look great are typically well known brands.

The brands that not many have heard of 999 of 1000 times are direct copies of better known brands. Homage types.

I will always choose heritage and looks over anything. I would never go with an unknown brand that looks similar to save unless its an Original design by that manufacturer.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
To me, every brand name is like a town name: Noo Yo-uhk, Chicago, Boastun, Nyew Orleens, Bakersfield, Seneca (where? Exactly)... hell, even Vegas....

And every town has at least one good diner. And a pretty gal who takes your order.

The rest of the town?
Well, if I need to be concerned with the rest, then I would, but usually I don't, as it doesn't REALLY concern me. (Bigger or smaller buildings, etc.)

I won't drink the tap water in certain towns though. :-D

So I have my meal, I take in the sights (like the Liberty Bell - very nice, very nice.... Next!), then I catch the next plane back home.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Brand names mean little to me, but particular history for a watch design can. For example, 'Omega' means little to me (although I do like their new ads on tv), but the history behind the Speedy Pro is influential in causing me to want to buy one. 'Rolex' does not mean that much to me, but the history behind the Explorer makes me want one. Tag Heuer does not mean much by itself, but I'd sure take a Monaco if I got the chance. So to me, it is less to do with brand than the history made by brands with particular watches.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Ignoring history (who cares that ALS was reborn in 95) as long as a brand has good reviews and I like the design I'll consider it. Dievas and Nomos are quite unknown.

+1. If there's 2 similar looking watches which I am sold on aesthetics, I would go for the better brand name.
Of course. But what if it was 20% more expensive?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Brand name and recognition among non watch enthusiasts does not matter to me, but reputation and quality do. For example, hardly anyone outside of the watch community has ever heard of Sinn, and I'm sure at first glance many would think a U2 costs 3-500, and I couldn't care less. Once someone ignorant of watches holds a U2 in their hand and takes a closer look, however, even they can realize it can't be in the cheap, fashion watch category. I wouldn't hesitate to own watches from an even more obscure brand than Sinn, as long as the quality of craftsmanship is there.

I also have no problem owning a Sub, but I wouldn't choose to wear one because it's a "Rolex," but because it is of excellent quality, craftsmanship, and reputation of reliability.

·
Registered
857 Posts
brand surely matters to me....after the functions/aesthetics cath my eye the brand is the deciding factor for me....

its the whole package: quality, aesthetics, function, history (brand), reliability (brand), after sale (brand)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Brand names mean little to me, but particular history for a watch design can. For example, 'Omega' means little to me (although I do like their new ads on tv), but the history behind the Speedy Pro is influential in causing me to want to buy one. 'Rolex' does not mean that much to me, but the history behind the Explorer makes me want one. Tag Heuer does not mean much by itself, but I'd sure take a Monaco if I got the chance. So to me, it is less to do with brand than the history made by brands with particular watches.
This guy talks a lot of sense! These three watches are all real classics. A liking for these does not indicate a liking for 'Bond' branded watches, leopard skin Daytonas, or any of Tag Heuer's less desirable offerings (which to me is all of them).

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Brand is important to me foremost as an indication of quality, and somewhat as a representation of heritage. There may have been a time when social perception played a small role, but I believe I am past that now.

I would never buy a watch I don't like merely for the brand. In fact very few brands offer more than a handful of watches I'd consider. I own watches from extremely well known brands such as Rolex and Omega, to virtually unknown brands such as Dornbluth. To me they are all quality watches that I love wearing.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I buy what I like...The brand is not that important as long as it is a quality watch...No Asian watches.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Ignoring history (who cares that ALS was reborn in 95) as long as a brand has good reviews and I like the design I'll consider it. Dievas and Nomos are quite unknown.

Of course. But what if it was 20% more expensive?
Hypothetically
nomos makes a $20k watch and Lange made a $24k watch. Looked very similar.

You are saying you snap up a nomos? To save $4k?

Quality and Heritage will trump price of real pieces 99.99999999% of the time I would guess.

Now a nomos at $3k vs that same Lange at $24k and we are having a different conversation as price points on watches for less expensive brands will win out all the time as that $21k difference is a pretty good amount.

There's a reason there are more $120 Chinese watches in the world vs Swiss watches.
People are cheap :)

j/k.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
But I was interested in where the brand fits in the list of priorities for you?
Brand name is everything to me.
I bought my TAG Heuer watches just to piss off watch enthusiasts.
I bought my Omega Planet Ocean because of the bracelet. Telling time on this fine piece of jewellery is just a bonus for me.
My next purchase will be a Rolex. Why? Because I can.

;-) Cheers,
Rob

1 - 20 of 81 Posts