WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a birth year watch?

In my case I am looking for a 1989 speedmaster professional. There is one on the bay right now for $2300 with box and papers but on a leather strap. Considering I have paid $2400 for a 2004 1861 on bracelet with box (no papers though) I think that is a pretty reasonable price.

The price is likely to go up, however, so I'm just wondering what others would be willing to pay as a premium for having a birth year watch (the one for sale at the moment is actually one week exactly older than me according to a Bienne certificate provided with the watch)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'd take that in a heart beat, I had this same exact issue with a Gibson guitar I was trying to find :D I found one at my local guitar shop just a week off my birthday (but way past the year :D)and delivered one day after my birthday :D the store was nice enough to give me some % off. but in used watch terms I'd take that :D its a year and almost the exact date, can't get much better than that. How Dare I, picks of my Hummingbird! :D

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
For the long in the tooth, a birth year watch might yield a significant discount...

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
1989? Man, I had no idea 8 years would make me feel so old :-d

I guess the question is, what's it worth to you?

I had a similar search end a few months ago when I finally picked up a 1981 Speedy Pro, full boxes and papers from a dealer that I know. It was one of only 2 that I've seen in the last 7 years - one was about $4.5k!! Mine was a much more palatable $2,150.

Honestly, I really do dig having a Speedy Pro, regardless of the year of manufacture, but it's just the icing on the cake to have one that was made in my birth year

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1989? Man, I had no idea 8 years would make me feel so old :-d

I guess the question is, what's it worth to you?

I had a similar search end a few months ago when I finally picked up a 1981 Speedy Pro, full boxes and papers from a dealer that I know. It was one of only 2 that I've seen in the last 7 years - one was about $4.5k!! Mine was a much more palatable $2,150.

Honestly, I really do dig having a Speedy Pro, regardless of the year of manufacture, but it's just the icing on the cake to have one that was made in my birth year
Watchco apparently had NOS speedmasters on eBay a few months ago for under $2500 which kind of makes me hesitant to spend close to that on a well-worn, bracelet-less example.

I'm sure another opportunity will arise if I miss this one, although I'm unsure of how long I'd have to wait

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
But if I'm not mistaken, the Watchco Speedmasters are assembled. I'd much rather have a clean one with the Extract from the Archives.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Man I really don't know. I'd pay at least an extra $500 to have a Speedmaster of my birth year. I'm not sure I'd spend more than that.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I ended up winning the watch :) just have to sort out the financing (one company in my share portfolio is particularly over-inflated at the moment) and hopefully it will be on its way to me soon

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Nice patina in the dial, hands and markers!

Where is the speedy located? I googled "Bagno" but it came up with a whole bunch of places

·
Registered
Butler J80, Omega Speedmaster, Scurfa MS17, Marathon Navigator
680 Posts
Where is the speedy located? I googled "Bagno" but it came up with a whole bunch of places
Probably Italy, based on the language in the listing description.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Ah yes, for I am an observant one

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I know I shouldn't need to say this... Don't use their postal system. Couriers only!!!!!!! :-d

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Bagno means literally "bath" and there are a few places called Bagno or Bagni (plural) over here. They are spa towns. Weird that it appears this one isn't specified.

Congratulations on the buy. It looks good to me though the case looks like it has polished a little over-enthusiastically.

I'd echo OzO's point about the post, btw.

Haha yep Italy.

Buyer has 100% positive feedback over a few thousand transactions (of which many are nice watches) so pretty confident about "buying the seller".

·
Registered
846 Posts
Its a good solid watch, excellent patina and presentation. Lovely.

Price is good. You didnt quite steal it, but it would take luck and time to get a better one for less. Frankly those papers mean a lot.

A box and papers is very important to me - recent happenings in the market suggest that other people agree.
Prices for complete sets are rising, or at the very least watches that on condition alone were hard to sell are now selling well.

It is quite wrong to compare a watchco (assembled, or replica) speedmaster with an origional. Like comparing a natural ruby to a synthetic.
Exactly the same composition, but one is assembled by man, and one has that indefineable quality that many seek.
In terms of value, the desirablity of a Watchco, or any other speedmaster with a new case, pushers, crown, dial, hands and crystal, over an origional will always be less.

To answer the question, I wouldnt pay more for my birth year. I have to pay enough as it is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice. And either a very polished case or the pics make it look like one of the thinnest Speedy Pro's I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts