WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious - how much gold is actually in an all gold watch e.g. Rolex President and how much of the cost would that make up?
Does this remain standard across watch makers?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about in something like this?
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Obviously, all watches' weight varies. For an ALL gold watch, typically 18k these days, same goes for Rolex, you can weight the case minus the movement, (or with gold bracelet), 75% of what you weigh is the gold content, hence 18k (out of 24k).

Vintage watches also come in 14k and 9k, just divide 14 by 24, or 9/24, and you'll get the percentage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
According to calculations others have done on the Rolex President w/gold bracelet the total gold content is approximately 2.4 oz.t 24carat gold. With a spot price 25/8/12 of US $1670 the gold value would be US $4008.-
So I'd say, if you're looking at gold watches as a investment in gold I'd go with bullion bars or coins instead. Way cheeper ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to calculations others have done on the Rolex President w/gold bracelet the total gold content is approximately 2.4 oz.t 24carat gold. With a spot price 25/8/12 of US $1670 the gold value would be US $4008.-
So I'd say, if you're looking at gold watches as a investment in gold I'd go with bullion bars or coins instead. Way cheeper ;-)
Thanks PeGe - I assume you've converted the 24carat to 18carat as is used in watches to arrive at the total value. I agree with you, gold watches are not the way to invest in gold but just nice to know the premium one is paying over and above the gold cost for the watch.

·
Premium Member
24,150 Posts
Generally, one pays a huge premium for gold watches, at least brand new. Don't buy a gold watch at full retail price, especially if you foresee selling it in the future, the preowned prices more accurately reflects the premium associated with the gold content, and one tends to take a bigger hit on gold watches than steel watches as a percentage of MSRP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.