WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just really worried about my watches if I bumped them or something. Recently I was playing soccer with my friends and I blocked a soccer ball with my hands. Will this affect the movement of my watch? (Calibre 1887). How much shock can Tag Heuers take?

·
Registered
775 Posts
You played soccer with your tag heuer cal 1887 piece....did you really need to stop in between points to tell the time and not worry about getting hit in the face? ...lol...be sensible and take off the watch. How much shock can they take? Only one way to find out...right?..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Watches are not as delicate as most people think they are. In my younger years (a long time ago) I was a pro golfer. I always wore my watches while playing which was daily, and never had a problem. I have also shot Trap and Skeet with them on. They never missed a beat. The same can't be said about any dings or scratches you might incur while doing such things though.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I don't swing a golf club, a ball bat or shoot a pistol with my watch on since that sends a lot of shock to the watch.
Although, I have read that people have done all of these things with watches and haven't had a problem...

I think modern mechanical watches are more sturdy than we often give them credit for, but my theory is not to take unnecessary risk if I do not have to. I would not be afraid about your soccer ball incident. Chances are everything will be fine. If for some reason your watches stops keeping good time, you can start to worry...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I shoot handguns with my BR01-97 on and have not had an issue. Mostly 9mm and .357. Two rounds out of a 500 S&W magnum once - watch never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Even though Tag heuer watches undergoes a series of test for shock resistance, don't take chances and expose them to tremendous shocks, otherwise you might regret it.. Wear a quartz instead..

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
My son Dan was opening his garage door (manually) and the door fell striking his watch. Scratched crystal on way down, tore spring bar from lug on one side,
and fell 3 feet to the concrete. Watch stopped running.This "how much a watch can take".
Then son asks me to buy him another watch of same brand. I got him a Casio G Shock G6900. Now I'll see "how much a watch can stand"wearing a G Shock.

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
386 Posts
I know that I'm late to this topic, but I guess this is still relevant.

Almost 5 years ago my wife and I were on the way to the store. On the way a big truck ran a stop sign and drove right into the passenger door of our mini van. I was sitting in the passenger seat and right before the accident I had my arm resting out the window. Right before impact I managed to get my arm inside the van, but it just made it in.
Our van flipped and rolled about 4 times and we landed upside down, on the roof.
I ended up with a cracked pelvis, broken back (cracked L5 &L4 vertebrae) several broken and displaced ribs and a dislocated shoulder. My wife sort of faired better, she ended up with a cracked cheekbone, dislocated shoulder several broken ribs and a punctured lung. I say sort of because she actually "drowned" before the EMT's made it on seen.
I wasn't really that concerned with my watch at the time, but after I was discharged I noticed that my Breitling was still ticking away and other than a few dings in the case it didn't skip a beat.
Several days later when they finally released my wife's belonging her Rolex polar explorer II had a shattered crystal. I took that to my watch guy and he replaced the crystal and said that other then that the watch was still in perfect condition. Its still now keeping almost perfect time, and almost time to go back in for a servicing.

So again I know that I'm late to this topic, but I guess that watches are more "durable" than we humans are. But i would remember that your mileage may very, different conditions and brands and all, but i really think blocking a soccer ball should not damage your TAGHeuer.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I guess I'm late to this topic too. OMG arby, sounds like you're both incredibly unfortunate for being in a senseless accident yet in many ways very lucky to come out alive and in one piece despite your horrifying injuries! Phew! I do hope you're fully recovered now and wish you the best..

Anyway coming back to the thread, despite being relatively new here, I see this topic seem to crop up quite frequently on WUS on the public forum as well as various brand forum. My $0.02 is that a watch is a mechanical thing just like your car (sorry, another car analogy!) or even knee or elbow joint. Sooner or later all mechanical things will break or need servicing, just a matter of time. Sure it will take a lot of punishment before it breaks but too much repetitive punishment will lead to unecessary wear and tear. IOW if you were driving and saw a big pothole on the road would you swerve to deliberately drive across it or would you try to safely avoid it?

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I know that I'm late to this topic, but I guess this is still relevant.

Almost 5 years ago my wife and I were on the way to the store. On the way a big truck ran a stop sign and drove right into the passenger door of our mini van. I was sitting in the passenger seat and right before the accident I had my arm resting out the window. Right before impact I managed to get my arm inside the van, but it just made it in.
Our van flipped and rolled about 4 times and we landed upside down, on the roof.
I ended up with a cracked pelvis, broken back (cracked L5 &L4 vertebrae) several broken and displaced ribs and a dislocated shoulder. My wife sort of faired better, she ended up with a cracked cheekbone, dislocated shoulder several broken ribs and a punctured lung. I say sort of because she actually "drowned" before the EMT's made it on seen.
I wasn't really that concerned with my watch at the time, but after I was discharged I noticed that my Breitling was still ticking away and other than a few dings in the case it didn't skip a beat.
Several days later when they finally released my wife's belonging her Rolex polar explorer II had a shattered crystal. I took that to my watch guy and he replaced the crystal and said that other then that the watch was still in perfect condition. Its still now keeping almost perfect time, and almost time to go back in for a servicing.

So again I know that I'm late to this topic, but I guess that watches are more "durable" than we humans are. But i would remember that your mileage may very, different conditions and brands and all, but i really think blocking a soccer ball should not damage your TAGHeuer.
Dude, did you say your wife passed??? I hope I'm reading that wrong, but it sounds like she drowned from a punctured lung?
I can't imagine what that would be like. Very sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dude, did you say your wife passed??? I hope I'm reading that wrong, but it sounds like she drowned from a punctured lung?
I can't imagine what that would be like. Very sorry to hear that.

You misunderstood it i think,
wife is alive since EMT arrived but almost suffer a drowning experience (gasping for air) since the lungs was misplaced due to displacement of lungs due to blood accumulating inside.

·
Registered
386 Posts
No sorry to bring every one down, but no she didn't survive, she was still trapped in the van hanging upside down, I tried my hardest to get her out but i was pretty useless because of my injuries. When the EMT's arrived they finally removed her from the van, but after removing the blood and re inflating her lung they couldn't revive her.

It was a bad day, we were together for for a little over 20 years, and were together just about every day of those years, It still bothers me and give nightmares, but I'm, glad that I was there with her at the end

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
No sorry to bring every one down, but no she didn't survive, she was still trapped in the van hanging upside down, I tried my hardest to get her out but i was pretty useless because of my injuries. When the EMT's arrived they finally removed her from the van, but after removing the blood and re inflating her lung they couldn't revive her.

It was a bad day, we were together for for a little over 20 years, and were together just about every day of those years, It still bothers me and give nightmares, but I'm, glad that I was there with her at the end
Jesus man that is sad. Very sorry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
20 years is a very long time and you definitely had a strong bond with her. Do cherish the good memories together.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Keep strong man!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I second what John said. Instead of breaking a balance staff and having to spend a couple hundred dollars to repair it (which is an understatement), just buy a quartz watch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts