WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could probably post this on the vintage forum but thought I'd take a shot here as well**(for those that don't like wordy posts scroll down to bottom and I'll ask the same question in one BORING sentence)**:

I have FINALLY (i know we WIS"S are known for saying this) have gotten the motivation I need to pair my large size vintage collection down to a more managable size but PRIMARILY_the reason is to get rid of watches I don't wear any longer and just own a relative few that are a bit higher quality and versatile. When I say 15 to 18 watches is a small amount most people will roll their eyes. But hey...;)

Anyway- few weeks ago I sold off an Omega speedmaster I never wore to fund a blue dialed diver I WILL wear a LOT. Now I am going to sell another vintage dive watch, a chronograph and probably a gold Longines Ultrachron to fund a plain SS bezel, stick-hand datejust vintage 60s-90s(?) on an Oyster bracelet (or if I have to-jubilee). I have been searching on the auction site and the prices are all over the place!! I definitely know how to weed out 'iffy' sellers and how to stick with reputable sellers. I even know how to spot a lot of tell-tale signs of put-together or franken vintage. But I don't know everything and I will most likely submit any serious contenders here if there are any questions I need answered.

Right now I just need a BALLPARK idea of what a REASONABLE price to pay for a used SS plain bezel datejust with oyster/jubilee. I don't know if the plain bezel is more or less desirable then the knurled and therefore more or less $? And-is there anyway for me to weed out the online sellers that are asking retail prices (such as: $3500 for a very nice SS stick-hand DJ with box...OR...$2900 for an equally noce one with no papers or box but a very good seller? Are these 'reasonable'? When I was not serious about this purchase I was able to find what seemd like a goodly amount of nice condition (not mint, which is fine. worn and in excellent service cond. is preferable to me) for around the $1200 to $2200MAX price point.

I guess I am asking if the prices have gone up for a relatively quiet and sedate (some would say 'old man's) rolex or is more then $2200/$2500/$2800??? a good place to have a cut-off point in terms of the watches overall value, possible resale value, and the fact that I will probably have to factor in a service. I just want to make sure I am not kidding myself thinking I can get a great deal on a vintage for under $1700. I am pretty sure I have seen auctions with very nice SS DJ's go for apprx $1500 but maybe I was glossing over? I don't mind paying a premium for a vintage with every bell and whistle but am under no illusion that a simple vintage DJ in SS with plain bezel and good-to excellent cond. is worth much more then 2k to many 'collectors'. The question will be how long will I have to wait to find the right price versus how impulsive will I be and spend more? (a typical WIS predicament).

Any advice will be well taken. (I know this is an area where some expertise in vintage, which I have, is needed along with a good knowledge of Rolex -which I can use more of so I 'get' that I won't receive a ton of posts. thanks anyway.

...........One (+) boring sentence:
**WHAT is a REASONABLE price range to pay for a vintage (late 60s-early 90s ) SS plain bezel stick-hand Datejust with an Oyster bracelet -or 2nd choice-Jubilee bracelet in very good to excellent condition? (meaning it doesn't have to be mint and it doesn't have to have all whistles and bells/box/tags/etc. Just be in great working cond.?) thnx'**

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
Sorry DB, I'm in the UK so pricing will be different, but I would say that older DJ's have taken a bit of a price bump over here, a nice one could easily be had for around £1500 not too long ago, now anything between £1800-2000 seems to be the going rate.

I think the basic stick markers, not too jazzy dials are the ones to go for, they're so classic, also I'm not sure about the plain bezels but the fluted ones tend to be white gold so a little more desirable.

Mine is a 1970, (1601), that period had some slight differences on the dials, two slightly fatter markers at 6 & 9 and the 'DATEJUST' text is smaller, about the same size as the ROLEX wording.

I would disagree on the bracelet, I'm a big fan of the older Oyster style and have one on my Sub but I think a stainless steel DJ should be on a Jubilee, personal preference of course, but to me, it's just the classic look.

Hope you find a nice one, one thing is for sure, there are plenty of nice ones around.

Sean.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
When you suggest a date range of from the '60's to the '90's, you're also opening up a wide pricing spectrum.

The non quickset 1600 or 1601 from the '60's through the 70's are going to be a lot less than the five digit models 16000 series with quickset until you land in the later '80's with quickset and sapphire (16200), where the pricing will be at the higher ends.

You sound like you've been checking out ebay and viewing listings along with completed sold auctions should give you a range for the various Datejust era watches. Then travel to the sales forums here and elsewhere and see what's offered and what's withdrawn via sold and you'll reinforce your research.

I've seen older non quick DJ's go for as low as $1200 in decent shape, but probably in need of a service and then the more recent versions going for around the $3000 range looking closer to new condition.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you suggest a date range of from the '60's to the '90's, you're also opening up a wide pricing spectrum.

The non quickset 1600 or 1601 from the '60's through the 70's are going to be a lot less than the five digit models 16000 series with quickset until you land in the later '80's with quickset and sapphire (16200), where the pricing will be at the higher ends.

You sound like you've been checking out ebay and viewing listings along with completed sold auctions should give you a range for the various Datejust era watches. Then travel to the sales forums here and elsewhere and see what's offered and what's withdrawn via sold and you'll reinforce your research.

I've seen older non quick DJ's go for as low as $1200 in decent shape, but probably in need of a service and then the more recent versions going for around the $3000 range looking closer to new condition.
Yes. your correct. I wasn't thinking about the qs date but now that I know-I'm not sure its a big enough concern. I think I might be able to find a really nice example from late 60s to 70s for around $1800 which may even have a box? I think the $2000 mark is going to be my limit but it leaves plenty of nice DJs available. (Just not-as you said-the newer sapphire/qs)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts