WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I Wonder if they're going to start printing the company history on dials. I'm not sure if there's a worse offender than Rolex when it comes to text on dials.

Reminds me of the 1980s where they put 50 badges on the cars. Turbo, how many liters, and now CVT, or Hybrid, the back of your car is covered in badges.

Personally i like clean dials. what about you? Does all this text bother you?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
At least you can see the hands and that is all that matters to me. Unlike this ugliness where you cannot see the hands easily

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
I Wonder if they're going to start printing the company history on dials. I'm not sure if there's a worse offender than Rolex when it comes to text on dials.
Seiko
seiko_astron_main.jpg
Breitling
Limited-Edition-Breitling-Chronospace-Jet-Team-Watch.jpg

·
Registered
626 Posts
I still have you beat:

Not really. That's a ridiculously busy dial, but at least the stuff on it could ostensibly be used for something. The Rolex has a whopping 9 lines of text on it (not including the "Swiss Made") and with the possible exception of the depth rating, they're all advertising, with zero function. I've seen precious few watches beat that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like the text on that watch, and on the sub as well. There's both a business-like quality to the font as well as a kind of funky reminiscence of a military hatch with the "Ring Lock System" and "Escape Valve" notes on the inside ring. The watch remains remarkably legible and is more or less unapologetic about its being a "dive watch"--or for most folks like me a fantasy dive watch. It certainly doesn't ask to be worn as a dress or casual/dress watch: however it might be worn. Lovebandit's edit brings it back to the land of the sane and ordinary.

The watches I wear regularly have minimal writing on them, and that's the way I prefer those watches. But I also have a sub, and its text seems to me to fit it perfectly--as I find perfectly appropriate the craziness of the Sea-Dweller.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I like a nice "2 liner". Give me the brand name on the top of the dial, and 2 extra lines somewhere for some features. I don't like sterile dials and I think that a little text makes a dial more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
With navitimer, you already got slide rule bezel which is very busy then you add big ass logo and 4 line of text makes it like all crumbled together. Compare that to sinn 903 much cleaner and better looking imo.
But some other watch like the omega 2500 are much better looking with additional text of co axial and chronometer (compared to quartz) as it feels more proportional.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yeah, count me in the minority that like the Rolex text: "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" on the dial. It's part of the Rolex design or look... like the date cyclops. I know a lot of people here hate both, and you either like it or you don't.

What else is there to say? Just a matter of taste or preference.

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
But that's not superfluous text for no reason.

Those are functions of the watch and dial.

I'm not talking about busy dials, I'm talking about all that text and badges.

ROLEX
OYSTER PERPETUAL

DEEPSEA
SEA DWELLER
12800ft/3900m
SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER
OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED
SWISS MADE
RING LOCK SYSTEM
ORIGINAL GAS ESCAPE VALVE
POLISHED BY GARY THE POLISHER
MADE WITH 916L STAINLESS STEEL
BLACK DIAL
ECO-DRIVE
1.8L
TURBO
2.0SPORT
SPECIAL EDITION

I mean come on!

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
Q: How much text is too much on a dial?
A: You will know when you see it.

The Rolex example is probably the most cluttered watch I've seen. However Rolex owners certainly like the explosion of confirming information and that is what counts.
For me the ideal design includes the brand name in a nice font and an attractive logo but no more so the nicely designed dial csn be enjoyed. Information like jewel count, automatic winding, chronometer status, gas valve, water resistance is potentially useful but belongs on the back out of sight. Interestingly many vintage wristwatches and most pocketwatches have minimal printed information and the dial design can be more fully enjoyed.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I love my Grand Seiko, but the question is not merely too much text, but too much redundant text.

GrandSeikoGS44-5.jpg

Seiko
GS
Grand Seiko
Not once, but three times.

And this is from a relatively clean dial :D

·
Banned
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Q: How much text is too much on a dial?
A: You will know when you see it.

The Rolex example is probably the most cluttered watch I've seen. However Rolex owners certainly like the explosion of confirming information and that is what counts.
For me the ideal design includes the brand name in a nice font and an attractive logo but no more so the nicely designed dial csn be enjoyed. Information like jewel count, automatic winding, chronometer status, gas valve, water resistance is potentially useful but belongs on the back out of sight. Interestingly many vintage wristwatches and most pocketwatches have minimal printed information and the dial design can be more fully enjoyed.
Exactly

Put the rest on the back.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts