WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I have this question and I can't find an answer, i read that a rolex was about $70 dollars but i don't know... Can someone bring some information? thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have an ad from 1941 showing private label Rolexs selling between $60 and $110 cdn dollars (including taxes).

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my school holidays I did jobs for my father including delivering watches to various London Retailers – Mappins, Garrards, Harrods, Camerer Cuss &c.

He once blued 6 months’ import quota on six watches from Vacheron & Constantin which he sold to Mappins. My memory is failing but I have the impression they each cost well into three figures of sterling – and this was in the 1950s.

I arrived at Mappins in Regent Street and Mr Watson, the senior “floor walker” told me to wait in the corner while he dealt with a customer who wanted to buy a Rolex Oyster He had a budget of around £50.00 (this was the 1950s , remember).

The customer was dithering, and Mr Watson said, “come here Paul” and showed him the V & C watches, saying something along the lines of “This is real watchmaking, but you can't afford it” and put the carrying case away under the counter and carried on with the dialogue.

Having told him three times that he couldn’t afford one, Mr Watson sold him a V & C watch.

A lesson in selling which I never forgot.

Paul
Audemars | Louis Audemars & Cie, Master Watchmakers, 1811 – 1885

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I don't know about the fifties as Rado only only became Rado (full time) in 1957. I can tell you that this rose gold plated Rado Deluxe, which was available only in 1961 cost 220 CHF. It was hardly their top end watch.

IMG_3271_zps2526b949 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

By 1966 a Diastar 1 on a bracelet was 120,000 yen, which was a fair bit.

aAd5a by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Okay, I'll play. According to this page from the 1955 Benj Allen wholesale catalog shows a 3-subdial EP40 Gallet chrono to be about $94. The numbers and details are hard to see, however I don't see any watch on this page with more than two digits to the left of the decimal point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts