WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above. I personally feel like I can't go above $6000 for an Omega. I see the DSOTM which I really like but I can't justify spending $12k...I could get a Daytona (if I could find one) for around that price. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
As above. I personally feel like I can't go above $6000 for an Omega. I see the DSOTM which I really like but I can't justify spending $12k...I could get a Daytona (if I could find one) for around that price. Thoughts?
You might struggle to get a DSOTM for $6,000, but you definitely wouldn't need to pay $12,000 for one...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Seems I’m willing to spend the money for a DSotM:

I bought it in Japan with a strong dollar and tax free. It’s the only Omega I’ve really liked until the Grey Side of the Moon.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't understand this reasoning, if you like the watch why not buy it?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand this reasoning, if you like the watch why not buy it?
I like many things in life, but with the Speedmaster in particular, I just don't get why essentially the same watch has such drastically different price points. A base moonwatch is literally half the cost of a DSOTM.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm confused, from your post I was under the impression you didn't want to pay over 6k for an Omega in general.

As for the DSOTM, i don't think I need to go over why it costs more. It's basically an entirely different watch, the only thing they have in common is the name.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm confused, from your post I was under the impression you didn't want to pay over 6k for an Omega in general.

As for the DSOTM, i don't think I need to go over why it costs more. It's basically an entirely different watch, the only thing they have in common is the name.
^ this

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Touche regarding the DSOTM.
Yes, I did mean in general, but I did give the DSOTM as an example. I am mainly referring to a broader topic of resale value of Omega as compared to Rolex.

·
Registered
12,451 Posts
If a good, reputable brand such as Omega releases a Watch that I feel is deserving of whatever its price tag is, and I can afford it, I will purchase it.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Yes, I did mean in general, but I did give the DSOTM as an example. I am mainly referring to a broader topic of resale value of Omega as compared to Rolex.
Haha I don't even care just pointing out the obvious. It's a great looking watch and I appreciate it but haven't had the urge to acquire one.

So it's a Rolex vs Omega thread you are after. Took you long enough to get to the point. There are countless threads about it already. Next time if you want to bait someone into an argument you need to try harder and be less obvious.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha I don't even care just pointing out the obvious. It's a great looking watch and I appreciate it but haven't had the urge to acquire one.

So it's a Rolex vs Omega thread you are after. Took you long enough to get to the point. There are countless threads about it already. Next time if you want to bait someone into an argument you need to try harder and be less obvious.
Oh. Wasn’t exactly trying to bait anyone but I saw that DSOTM watch the other day at a local AD and it made me wonder at how expensive it is.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I would make a purchase if I can afford it and feel the watch is worth the price, so there is no maximum or minimum range for me when it comes to buying a great watch

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think there is no problem with the resale value of Omega. But it must be compared to the actual purchase price, and not to MSRP...
MSRP for DSTOM is $12k, grey dealers selling it for $8k, and probably even in an AD you can get similar price.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Nice Omega bashing post in disguise. “I like Omega but would never spend more that $6k. “

Total baiting.

Do whatever you want with your money.

I have have spent a lot of money on Omegas. Even my wife thinks I should get a Rolex. I like what I like and it’s my money.

Not trying to impress anyone.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Omega and Rolex are both excellent brands that are overpriced as well. Does that make them not worth buying? No. You just have to realize that you are going to pay a premium for luxury no matter the brand.

Price points are set by the brand based on cost to produce, perceived value and what the market will bear.

If you don’t want to pay MSRP or a lower negotiated price, then buy pre-owned and save 30 to 60 percent off MSRP depending on brand, model and demand.

I like some models and hate other models from both brands. I have had two Rolex’s and six Omega’s and still own one Omega. So you can see which brand I gravitate to more.

To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice Omega bashing post in disguise. “I like Omega but would never spend more that $6k. “

Total baiting.

I have have spent a lot of money on Omegas. Even my wife thinks I should get a Rolex. I like what I like and it’s my money.

You can call it whatever you want. I own two Omegas which probably get more wrist time than any of my other watches. I don’t need to prove anything to you it was just a general discussion.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
If a good, reputable brand such as Omega releases a Watch that I feel is deserving of whatever its price tag is, and I can afford it, I will purchase it.

Total baiting.

Those two posts sum it up well.

There are plenty of Omega models that I would purchase - I have an AT, I will probably get a Speedy next, I also really like the GSOTM and find the price acceptable, I like the PO and the SMP, as well as the Tresor.

How much would I be willing to spend on a Rolex? $0 - I just don't like any of their models. At the end of the day, if you like a watch and you have the money, just get it.

This is clearly a disguised Omega vs Rolex thread so here's what you wanted - I prefer the DSOTM/GSOTM and would purchase those over a Daytona.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well if the DSOTM watch can be had for less than the MSRP then I might get that one. I’ve been looking for a Daytona since I already have the moon watch but I’m getting turned off by the lack of availability and increased prices.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oh. Wasn’t exactly trying to bait anyone but I saw that DSOTM watch the other day at a local AD and it made me wonder at how expensive it is.
So you see the DSOTM and you wonder "why it is so expensive?", but at the same time you look at a Daytona and you think: "makes sense!".

I see this argument often and every time I wonder if the person saying it has actually thought it through.

To get back to your original question: I don't make a distinction on brand. Like others have already said, if I think any watch is worth the price, then I am willing to buy it.

Reactions: Rahul718
1 - 20 of 86 Posts